Re: FOOD & BEHAVIOUR

"kevin reese" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:37:07 +0100

Colorado massarce were beyond belief; truly horrific.

Regards Kevin
-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Goossens <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 05 June 1999 06:31
Subject: Re: FOOD & BEHAVIOUR

Joe,

remember that Laws should be adapted to the time IS not WAS...Yes, the
Constitution WAS written ... YEARS AGO... you FOUGHT a war... Stop living in
the
past and think about those YOUNG people died in your country because some
other
youngsters had no problem laying their fingers on deadly weapon... They
probably
didn't care about the meaning of the Constitution and WHY IT WAS WRITTEN ?

Just a personnal opinion, straight from the heart....

:
> 16)
>
> 3.  In Los Angeles juvenile detention facilities, similar diets
administered
> to nearly 1500 adolescents reduced problem behaviour and suicide attempts
by
> 44% (Schoenthaler S ‘ The Los Angeles Probation Department Diet Behavior
> Program: An Empirical Evaluation of Six Institutions’ Intern J of
Biosocial
> Research  1983, 5(2): 88-98
>
> 4.  The Lancet reported that 79% of children diagnosed as being
hyperactive
> improved when dubious foods were removed from their diets, but
deteriorated
> as soon as these additives and suspect foods were reintroduced.  The worst
> offenders were identified as artificial colourants and flavourings, with
> sugar also having a significant effect (Egger J et al  ‘Controlled Trial
of
> Oligoantigenic Treatment in the Hyperkinetic Syndrome’  Lancet  1985: 540)
>
> 5.  A double-blind, placebo-controlled study in the 1979 Journal of
> Biological Psychiatry showed that large doses of vitamin B6 was more
> effective than Ritalin in reducing hyperactivity in children (cited by
> Autism
> Research Institute, San Diego, June 1992 - see their website:
> http://www.autism.com/ari/ which also reports on the possible role for
> magnesium, vit C and DMG in treating autism).
>
> 6.  In a 4 year study (1979-1983), considerable improvement in academic
> performance of over 1 million children at 803 public schools in New York
> city
> took place when only the at-schoolmeals were altered to eliminate
artificial
> additives and reduce sugar, while adding fresh fruits, vegetables, whole
> grains and more plant-based proteins (Schoenthaler S  ‘The Impact of a low
> food additive and sucrose diet on Academic Performance in New York Public
> Schools’ Intern J of Biosocial  Research 1986 8(2): 182-195
>
> Besides the implications for the behaviour of children, these studies and
> many others indicate that it is not simply  narcotics, stimulants,
hormones,
> LSD and other obviously psychoactive drugs which may modify one’s
> psychological state, but even ones which are far more subtle and which are
> associated with our normal modern eating habits.  Extrapolating this
> directly
> to the world of sport, let us for a moment shift aside our current
> preoccupation with the physiological effects of anabolic-androgenic
steroids
> (AAS), prohormones, ephedra, caffeine, energy replacement drinks and other
> substances which are popularly researched in sponsored studies, and ask if
> sufficient attention is being focused on the psychological effects of
these
> drugs, as well as other constituents of one’s normal daily diet, insofar
as
> this may affect sporting performance.
>
> Dr Mel C Siff
> Denver, USA

Erik Goossens
Dipl. PT SRK - PT Educator Akad. TvdL Landquart
Physiotherapie Erik Goossens GmbH
MediFIT Medical Reconditioning
CH-4102 Binningen - Switzerland