Response to Neil and Andy

James Blaut <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 May 1999 00:27:06 -0400

text/plain

Subject: Serbian fascism
Date: 14-May-99 at 20:41
From: James Blaut, 70671,2032

TO: Neil Smith,INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

A message responding to Neil and to Andy, followed by a long set of
attachments from the Asia History Net (H-Asia) on the embassy bombing.

Neil:

I read through your message three times and I still don't see exactly what
you are advocating in the real, immediate situation. You want to see
Milosevic dfeated. OK. You see the bombing as imperialism and I take it you
want it stopped. OK. WHICH COMES FIRST? You seem to be criticizing those of
us who shout monotonically "STOP THE BOMBING!" because we don't say much if
anything about the Serbs. But:

(1) the culpability of the Serb leadershipp is irrelevasnt to the demand to
stop the bombing, because whatever evil is taking place on the ground in
yugoslavia cannot possibly justify the NATO actions, which are simply the
opening guns of a new form of militaristic effort of the Euro-Americvan
core capitalist states to terrorize the whole world into compliance with
core-capitalist hegemony, shoving aside the UN and thumbing their
collective nose at all international law including the UN Charter and the
NATO charter, anmd saying to every country from Cuba to India to China "we
are in command! Do exactly what we tell you to do." I call this
Neo-Gunboatism: the US, from the beginning of this century on, tried to
force independent states of Middle america to act like US colonies by
sending in the gunboats and the marines whenever any one of these countries
threatened to opposre US interests. Now the core capitalist states (perhaps
excluding Japan?) want to do exactlky the same on a world scale. They no
longer can fool people with the Cold War rhetoric: now it is naked use of
military force to generate
profits and monopolize the world's natural resources -- naked but veiled in
gossamer arguments about Our virtue and Their evil deeds.

2. Neil: please reassure me that you oppose the bombing and fight agaimnst
it as you have done in previous imperialistic wars!

Andy:

It seems a bit... narrowminded? to descvribe as "conspiracy theories" all
of the arguments that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was deliberate. A
billion Chinese believe this and so does much -- I think most -- of the
Western Left, and the arguments are compelling. Direct evidence may be
lacking, but the comments which I forwarded from the H-Asia list that the
US has previously bombed embassies constitute very strong indirect
evidence. Surely you don't think that the NATO military (and presumably
other) leaders are too high-minded to do such a nasty thing? Or that they
depend on out-of-date maps?

There have been maybe a dozen postings on H-Asia, the very scholarly liston
Asian hisatory, from North Americans, Chinese, and others, on the bombings.
Most assert the possibil;ity, likelihood, or certainty, that the bombing
was deliberate, and very few postings arguing the view that thbe thing was
an accident. I am attaching some of these comments below. I apologize for
the lemngth of this message.