JOB: Lecturship, University of Glasgow

British HCI News <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:39:54 +0000

text/plain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRITISH HCI GROUP ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~         http://www.bcs.org.uk/hci/          ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ NEWS SERVICE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ All news to:[log in to unmask]  ~~
~~ Newsarchives:                               ~~
~~ http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/bcs-hci/    ~~
~~ archive.html                                ~~

UNIVERSITY of GLASGOW,  DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTING SCIENCE

LECTURESHIP IN DIGITAL MEDIA
LECTURER A - 16,655 - 21,815 PER ANNUM

REF 073/99AL

The Department has demonstrated the highest standards in both teaching and
research. We are actively developing new courses, at both undergraduate and
postgraduate levels, and have a thriving research community, see
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/. This post has been created to enhance collaboration
with the Digital Design Studio, Glasgow School of Art.

The successful applicant will normally be expected to have a PhD in a relevant
subject, which includes computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering,
or topographic science. It would be advantageous to have experience in digital
design or creative media and have experience in writing software for digital
media projects. A research-level interest in one or more of: multimedia,
computer games, computer vision, image processing, DSP, or computer graphics
techniques, would be a particular advantage. The post is available from 1 July
1999, for a three year period.

Informal enquiries may be made to Dr John Patterson, e-mail [log in to unmask]
For an application pack please see our website at www.gla.ac.uk or write
quoting
Ref: 073/99AL to the Recruitment Section, Personnel Services, University of
Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ. Closing date: 26 March 1999.

FURTHER PARTICULARS
REF 073/99AL

The University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow, founded in 1451, is the second oldest University in
Scotland and the fourth oldest in Britain, after Cambridge, Oxford and St
Andrews. The University has occupied the present site in the West End of the
city since 1870. The main building, which dominates the city skyline, was
designed in the Gothic style by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The University
celebrates its 550th birthday in 2001 and will mount a number of events in
celebration of this.

The University is located in the West End of one of Europe's liveliest cities
within easy reach of the Highlands and the Firth of Clyde. It is well served by
transport links with the rest of the UK and internationally. The city, chosen
as UK City of Architecture and in 1999, has many buildings of architectural
importance.

Over 15,000 full time students and 3,000 part-time students study in more than
100 academic departments in the eight faculties of Arts, Divinity, Law and
Financial Studies, Medicine, Science, Engineering, Social Sciences and
Veterinary Medicine. All the Faculties are based on the main campus, with the
exception of Veterinary Medicine, which is located on the Garscube campus,
three miles to the north west.
Glasgow has strong international connections - it attracts students from some
80 countries - and also has strong local links with the West of Scotland from
where it draws 45% of its students.

The University of Glasgow is one of the country's major research universities
with an annual research income of over 48 million. In the most recent (1996)
review of research excellence, 35 subject areas, covering two thirds of
academic staff, were judged to be of national or international excellence in
their research. Seven areas were judged to be in the highest categories (5 and
5*): Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Computing Science*, Electronics and
Electrical Engineering, Urban Studies and Housing*, Politics and Russian & East
European Studies.

By July 1998 the University had received 'Excellent' awards for teaching
quality in 16 subject areas, the highest number of such awards in Scotland.

The Department
The Department of Computing Science is one of the foremost in the UK, setting
itself the highest standards in research and teaching. It is part of the
Faculty of Science.

The academic staff comprises 5 Professors, 7 Senior Lecturers, and 18
Lecturers. These are supported by an IT Officer, a Systems Manager, 6
Programmers, 6 Technicians, a Departmental Administrator, an Information
Officer, a Marketing Officer, a part-time Student Recruitment Officer and 12
Clerical staff. Currently there are also 3 Honorary Professors, 6 Research
Fellows, 21 Research Assistants, and about 50 Research Students.

The Department provides an invigorating but friendly working environment. It is
large enough to sustain a rich diversity of interests, but small enough for
everyone to know everyone else. The departmental ethos is that of a team
working together to deliver high-quality research and teaching. There is little
sense of hierarchy: senior staff are readily accessible without appointment,
and everyone uses the common room as a forum for relaxed exchange of ideas. A
weekly newsletter keeps everyone informed of what is going on.

Teaching (and administrative) loads are shared openly and fairly, using a
system that favours new lecturers, those delivering new courses, and those
particularly active in research. Sabbatical leave is actively encouraged, and
the Department is able to fund several staff on leave at any given time.

The following is a brief summary of the Department's research, teaching,
infrastructure, and strategy.

Research
The Department is internationally recognised for its research, and was awarded
a rating of 5* (the highest possible) in the 1996 Research Assessment conducted
by the Universities Funding Council.

There are five major research groupings in the Department, whose work is widely
recognised to be world-class:
The Persistent and Distributed Systems - led by Malcolm Atkinson conducts
leading-edge research into the principles of, and architectures for,
large-scale, data-intensive systems. A distinctive feature is that we aim
simultaneously to support longevity, distribution and autonomous evolution in a
safe, efficient, and controllable blend. Atkinson continues to play a key role
in establishing the principles, architectural issues and implementation of
persistent systems. Other recent advances include robust distributed garbage
collectors optimisations of persistent code, and new facilities for passing
code and data between persistent processes. Our sustained commitment to this
technology is bearing fruit: we are funded by Sun Microsystems in California to
design and prototype Persistent Java.

To support the exploitation of persistence we have developed two new software
engineering environments, together with associated program-analysis tools.
Other advances in this area include Cooper's work on generic user interfaces,
and type-safe reflective programming techniques. We are now addressing a
completely new set of issues, raised by software evolution in massive,
geographically-distributed, persistent systems. Our new architecture has
already evoked significant industrial interest, with direct funding from ICL
and Digital, as well as EPSRC.

The Information Retrieval (IR) group led by Keith van Rijsbergen has a vigorous
programme of research, based on both theory and experiment, aimed at giving
end-users novel, effective, and efficient access to the world of mullet-media
information. The group plays a leading role in the international IR community;
for example, we are a key player in three European working groups and networks
of excellence (IDOMENEUS, MIRO, Mira), and we hosted the 1995 European
Summer
School in IR.

Based on van Rijsbergen's seminal 1986 paper, our theoretical work has
developed new models applying logic and probability theory, situation theory,
and computational linguistics, to solve problems of representation and
matching. We have applied these models to large-scale experiments with data in
diverse media, including graphics, text, speech, and structured documents. A
new focus is the development of novel interaction techniques that break out of
the traditional query/response paradigm (e.g. relevance feedback, case-based
reasoning, presenting query sessions as hypertext, graphical visualisation).
Our research has a growing (and funded) emphasis on the evaluation of
interactive IR systems, and we have forged new links with researchers in
Human-Computer Interaction and Psychology.

The Systems Architecture group is led by Lewis Mackenzie and it integrates the
Department's expertise in distributed systems and operating systems with that
in machine and communications architecture, to pursue a holistic approach to
systems research. We have also gained valuable experience of the pragmatic
application of formal techniques to hardware and protocol design. In pursuit of
an object based approach for systems construction, the group has produced
significant results in the control of large distributed object systems,
techniques to achieve persistence in heterogeneous systems, and the design and
implementation of a high performance Object Request Broker in the form of the
Pegasus operating system. The Pegasus project is an EC-funded project, led by
Peter Dickman and Richard Black at Glasgow. John O'Donnell is using functional
programming ideas for parallel algorithm design and hardware synthesis.

The Graphics and Human Computer Interaction group led by Chris Johnson, Philip
Gray, and John Patterson leads mullet-disciplinary research into the design,
formal analysis, implementation, and evaluation of human computer interfaces. A
distinctive feature is that our theoretical research is informed by rigorous
evaluation, in collaboration with colleagues in Psychology (e.g. Draper) and
companies such as Hoskyns, Railtrack, and Cambridge Animation. One novel
example of this approach is Stephen Brewster's work in which he has developed,
prototyped, and validated principles that help programmers to make effective
use of sound in computer interfaces.

A particular strength of the group is Gray and Johnson's work on design tools
and notations for user interfaces. For example, we have produced new notations
capturing critical aspects of user interfaces, such as time and the user's
environment, that are often neglected by other approaches. We have developed
temporal extensions to both the Z specification language and the semi-formal
User Action Notation, each backed by empirical trials. Patterson's graphics
research ranges from innovative rendering algorithms (such as fast spheres and
displacement mapping) to 2D animation technology. Recently, John has been on
sabbatical at Ealing Film Studios developing links with the CREATEC.

The Formal Methods and Theory group is a federated group led by Tom Melham, Joe
Morris and Muffy Calder (Thomas), and by its very nature, is a diverse one with
major strengths in five areas: theorem proving, complexity, refinement,
semantics, and specification of hardware and software system. Significant
recent foundational developments include Irving's progress on one of the
foremost stable matching problems and his NP-completeness results for data
security; Melham's improvements to the Higher Order Logic type theory; Morris'
functional refinement calculus; and Watt's action semantics. Applications-based
research includes Melham's development of techniques for hardware verification,
Thomas's process algebraic analysis of faults in medical radiotherapy devices,
and Johnson's temporal and stochastic analysis of accidents and production
control systems.

We have exceptionally strong industrial links for a group of this nature. For
example, the Irish and UK aviation industries sponsored Johnson's work
formalising accident reports; Digital sponsored Thomas's study leave to work
with the LP theorem prover; and British Telecom Laboratories sponsors her
research on the design of protocol languages and feature interactions in
advanced telephony systems. The group also provides leadership to the wider
community. For example, Melham has been instrumental in building the large and
thriving Higher Order Logic (HOL) community; and we have established the first
international workshop and forum in connection with our innovative study of HCI
aspects of interface design for theorem provers, a project that is already
arousing strong international interest.

Other broad themes can be identified, within which research is pursued by
smaller groups and individuals, and whose work is also internationally
recognised. For example Mathematics of computation encompasses algorithms and
complexity, neural networks, numerical computation.

The Department currently has 24 EPSRC-funded research projects, 6 EC-funded
projects, 7 industrially-funded projects, and several fellowships. The current
grants and fellowships total more than 4M. Two major recent developments have
been the setting up of a Faraday partnership, in collaboration with the Turing
Institute, and the DepartmentOs leading role in the Revelation project which is
funded by SHEFC.
Much of the research is collaborative and interdisciplinary. Collaborators
include other departments within the University, and universities and
industrial partners throughout the UK, Europe, and North America.

The Department currently teaches about 1,000 undergraduate and postgraduate
students (400 full-time-equivalent students).  In 1994 the Departments teaching
was subjected to Quality Assessment by the Scottish Higher Education Funding
Council; and was awarded the highest possible rating of excellent.

Strategy
The Department maintains and regularly updates a strategy document, setting out
its research strategy, teaching strategy, and industrial strategy. The
following is an executive summary of the strategy document.
The Department's Mission Statement is:
To develop and provide education in intellectual and practical tools for the
design, construction and use of complex, reliable, usable and appropriate
information systems.
Our overall goals are therefore to maintain and develop excellence in teaching
and research, within our subject area, and thereby to contribute effectively
and flexibly to the needs of society and the economy.

Research strategy
To promote excellence in research, by maintaining and enhancing our existing
areas of strength. We attained a rating of 5* in the 1996 Research Assessment;
we aim to achieve an equivalent rating in the next RAE.
To increase our research student numbers from about 40 to 60 individuals by
1998-99.
To increase the number research projects, externally funded by the Research
Councils, EU and industry.

Teaching strategy
To maintain and develop our present excellence in teaching. We obtained a
rating of excellent rating in the 1994 SHEFC Quality Assessment.
To embrace the rapid rate of change within the discipline. In particular, we
have launched the BSc in Software Engineering, and the MSc in Advanced
Information Systems. A major overhaul of our entire undergraduate programme is
currently nearing completion and our new third year curriculum will be taught
for the first time in 1998-99.

To increase our student numbers from about 400 to 450 FTEs (full-time
equivalents) in total by 1998-99.
To encourage collaboration with other departments.

Industrial strategy
To continue to strengthen and develop our Industrial Association.
To exploit our industrial links to fund our research, especially PhD students,
and to strengthen the new BSc in Software Engineering degree programme.

The Post
The University invites applications for a lectureship in Digital Media within
the Department of Computing Science; this is a fixed-term appointment for three
years. The Department has demonstrated the highest standards in both teaching
and research. We are actively developing new courses, at both undergraduate and
postgraduate levels, and have a thriving research community. Applicants must
possess the enthusiasm and ability to fit into a dynamic academic environment,
together with appropriate experience in teaching and research.
The main goal of this appointment is to facilitate the delivery of taught
course material as requested by the Digital Design Studio, Glasgow School of
Art (DDS/GSA), in support of its M Phil degree. The lecturer will be appointed
to the Department of Computing Science, Glasgow University (DCS/GU) and will be
responsible for liaison between DDS/GSA and DCS/GU and aspects of collaboration
between the two departments.

Duties will include:
liaising with the course director of the M Phil at DDS/GSA in regard to DCS/GU
contributions to that course, and responsibility for delivery of such
contributions;
liaising with the Director of the DDS/GSA in regard to collaboration outwith
the M Phil programme;
preparing and delivering, jointly with staff in post, teaching and practical
work in connection with Computer Vision, Audio, and Graphics to DCS/GU Honours
undergraduate classes, as required by the Head of Department (HoD) at DSC/GU,
and any additional responsibilities within undergraduate teaching as determined
by the HoD;
preparing and delivering, jointly with staff in post, teaching and practical
work, on the Technical Foundations of Creative Media strand of the MSc in AIS
course, as required by the HoD at DCS/GU, and any additional responsibilities
within postgraduate teaching as determined by the HoD;
supervision of research-level projects;
developing a research programme in a cognate area and publications reporting
same.

The successful applicant will normally be expected to have, or be about to be
awarded, a PhD in a relevant subject, which includes computer science,
mathematics, electrical engineering, or topographic science. It would be
advantageous to have experience in digital design or creative media and have
experience in writing software for digital media projects . Knowledge of, and a
research-level interest in, one or more of multimedia, computer games, computer
vision, image processing, DSP, or computer graphics techniques would be a
particular advantage.

The new lecturer will be expected to contribute, in due measure, to the
DepartmentOs teaching, research, and administration.

Informal Enquiries
Informal enquiries may be made to Dr. John Patterson, e-mail [log in to unmask]
Information about the Department may be found from its WWW page
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/.

Terms and Conditions of Appointment
Salary will be on the Lecturer A grade of the scales for academic staff;
16,655 - 21,815 per annum.
This positions is available from 1 July 1999, for a three year period.

The successful applicant will be eligible to join the Universitiesi
Superannuation Scheme. Further information regarding the scheme is available
from the Superannuation Officer, who is also prepared to advise on questions
relating to the transfer of Superannuation benefits.

Method of Application
Applications should be submitted to Personnel Services (Recruitment Section),
University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ, not later than 26 March 1999. Each application
should consist of the following:

1.A fully collated and stapled curriculum vitae - bound copies are not
necessary
(8 copies - note 1 copy will suffice for applications sent from overseas.)
2.A covering letter explaining why you wish to be considered for the position
including:
i) a brief statement on the state of your health.
ii) and for academic posts; the period of probation served elsewhere
and details of any relevant training undertaken
(8 copies, as above)
3.Applicant Information Form (1 copy only)
4.Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form (in a sealed envelope addressed to Equal
Opportunities, Personnel Services).

Notes
i)It is University policy to approach referees in advance of interviews, unless
stated on the Applicant Information Form.
ii)Candidates called for interview and/or subsequently appointed may be
required to provide proof of qualifications.
iii)The University is committed to equality of opportunity in employment.

~~ NOTE: Please reply to article's originator, ~~
~~ not the News Service                        ~~
~~ To receive HCI news, send the message:      ~~
~~ "JOIN BCS-HCI your_firstname your_lastname" ~~
~~ to [log in to unmask]                ~~
~~ To join the British HCI Group, contact      ~~