Re: Just Because Construction

"J.W. Holmes" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:14:50 +0200

text/plain

Date sent:      	Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:56:53 +0900
Subject:        	Re: Just Because Construction
From:           	"Kensei Sugayama" <[log in to unmask]>
To:             	<[log in to unmask]>
Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask]

These constructions (and those contributed by Nik and me) are
quite interesting. What distinguishes them from the JUST
BECAUSE one is the verb: BE seems not to exercise syntactic
(categorial) control over its dependents at all:

At the table is where I eat.
Where I eat is at the table.
Eat is what I do at the table.
What I do at the table is eat.