Re: MAS methdology: a proposal

"Michael Wolfson" <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Wolfson

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:10:59 -0500

Just to let folks on this list know, we have a group at Statistics Canada
that has been developing microsimulation models for over a decade  Until
recently, these have all been real, "industrial strength " dynamic,
agent-based models in the areas of pension policy, student loan policy, and
health policy (e.g. see "POHEM -- A Framework for Understanding and Modeling
the Health of Human Populations", World Health Statistic Quarterly, World
Health Organization, Geneva, Vol 47 (3/4) 1994).

 In order to improve the efficiency of our development process, we created a
few years ago a modeling language, ModGen.  This is a C++ pre-compiler that
cuts our code writing about 80% for new models and component modules.

I've recently used ModGen to write our first "toy" model, a theoretical
model, XEcon (an "experimental economy" model in the spirit of Nelson and
Winter, Lane, Dosi, etc.), which is briefly described in Conte, Hegselmann
and Terna's Springer 1997 book (longer version forthcoming in the Canadian
Journal of Economics).  (It is very much motivated by the kinds of
frustrations with mainstream economic theory that I see in a number of
postings to this list.)

We are also using ModGen for a model called LifePaths, which is an attempt
at a new kind of integrated framework for socio-economic statistics (and
indicators) with explicit micro-foundations and a life course perspective.
A copy of the most recent version is available at  "'Good Life Time' (GLT):
Health, Income and the Time to Enjoy Them"  (787Kb).  An earlier version was
also briefly described in Rosaria's book.

ModGen is also being used by Canada's Human Resources Development Ministry
for the new version of their occupational projection model.

I have been watching this discussion for some time, and hoping to get around
to posting something about ModGen.  This most recent discussion of
simulation language spec's has tipped the balance.  Please treat this as a
kind of pre-commitment to provide some URL's where interested folks can find
out more about ModGen.

Cheers -- Michael Wolfson