ENVIROETHICS  1999

ENVIROETHICS 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: [RE: [RE: [Re: Animal Rights as Anti-Pleasure]]]

"Chris Perley" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:05:35 +1300

text/plain

I agree with Steve.  And I didn't see sarcasm so much as a mischievous sense
of humour.  I cannot help feeling that the AR movement (in its more extreme
forms) is really divorcing itself from the ecological reality on our planet.
Some members of it also needs to chill out a bit.  I am not being dismissive
in suggesting that a long stint living in the country from the land (without
easy access to supermarkets) might increase the understanding of ecology.
Death and life are always playing a game with each other - each one has its
day, and the death of one thing means life to another.  Your waste is
something else's  sustenance.  Nature is functional, not structural.  That
means the death of an individual tree or an individual animal is not
necessarily "bad", especially if carried out in certain ways that recognise
the ecological functions.  Thinking it is "bad" would imply that the
opposite (no death) is "good" (or at least "not-bad").  The REALITY is that
having NO death of trees or animals is VERY BAD, because it destroys
ecological functions.

Environmental ethics should not, in my view, relate to the necessity of
death, but rather on HOW it is done.  Not that act, but the method, the
extent, the degree.  If some concept of respect for all ecological functions
is the "right" thing, then when we do kill (or raise animals or vegetation)
then we ought to do it in a way that respects these functions, and places
humans as a component of the ecological whole.  Saying "no death to animals"
places us as a species outside nature.  I think that is UNETHICAL.  And if
it could be considered an ethic, it is certainly not an ENVIRONMENTAL ethic,
because its premise is an "environment" that doesn't exist.

Bambi was fiction.  Any "environmental" ethic should not be based on that
fiction.

Chris Perley