Re: Loan scheme for part time students

Jim Skinner <[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:15:57 +0000

text/plain

Pamela

There was a DfEE press notice about this issued on Friday (text below).

Jim

DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT
44/99                                           29 January 1999

      #500 LOANS FOR LOW-INCOME PART-TIME STUDENTS: BLACKSTONE

Education and Employment Minister Baroness Blackstone today announced
that from autumn 2000, part-time higher education students on a low
income would for the first time be entitled to loans of at least #500
to help with the costs of their courses.

The DfEE will allocate #30 million to support the new loans over the
two years  from 2000 to 2002.

Baroness Blackstone said:

  'The Government is determined that no student should be deterred
from going into higher education because of financial considerations.
We have already announced that from autumn 1999, tuition will be free
for new and existing part-time students on benefit.

'I am very pleased to announce now that from autumn 2000, part-time
students - both new and existing ones - on a low income will be
entitled to loans of at least #500 to help with their course
expenses, such as books and equipment.

'I am also delighted to announce that for the academic year starting
in autumn 1999, there will be a new grant of up to #100 a week for
students who go to university after having been in care and need help
with housing costs in the long vacation.

'Students who have been in care have often found it difficult to get
a place to live in the long summer vacations. It is usually
impossible for them to stay with their parents, or to look to them
for help and support. We are determined not to let these few students
down as they seek to improve their lives and job prospects through
higher education.

'We have the good news today from UCAS that the numbers of young
people applying to university continues to increase - from 259,574
last year to 260,725 this. There will be 36,000 more places available
in October 1999 than were available last year, as a result of the
reforms that we have introduced.

'Mature students have always tended to apply later than school- or
college-leavers, and often apply direct to universities rather than
through UCAS. Last year we saw a significant improvement in numbers
applying between December 1997 and October 1998.

'Two-thirds of mature students are part-timers - who have had to pay
fees for many years. Part-time numbers have remained steady for the
last two years, which indicated that the picture for mature students
is likely to be better than the UCAS figures suggest.

'I want to see more part-time mature students going into higher
education. We have an extra 20,000 places available for part-timers
next year. The measures we are introducing should help break down
barriers to help those on low incomes take up such opportunities.'

Baroness Blackstone also published a new booklet*, a comprehensive
guide to the student support arrangements for students starting in
Autumn 1999. She confirmed that the level of help with living costs
would increase in line with inflation and the increase in the student
contribution to fees would be pegged at inflation of 2.5% for
1999-2000.

The system of cash grants for students with dependants, including
lone parents, and for disabled students, will also be uprated in line
with inflation, and there will be a record #45m for Access funds for
the next academic year. Access Funds are available to both full-time
and part-time students, who can apply for help if they find
themselves in particular financial difficulties.

NOTES FOR EDITORS

* Copies of 'Financial Support for Students: A guide for those
starting in higher education after September 1998', is available on
0800 731 9133 and on http://www.dfee.gov.uk . Media copies are
available from the press office on the numbers below.

1. The loans for part-timers, for additional costs associated with
their course, will be at least #500 a year for people studying at
least 50% of a full-time equivalent course. Further details will be
announced before the autumn.

2. Details of the care-leaver's grant are in the Financial Support
for Students guide. It will be administered by local education
authorities who will decide whether the care leaver is eligible, and
if so, for how much and for how long. To be eligible the person must
have been in care before entering higher education, or in care when
he left school, and be under 21.

3. 1999/2000 will be the first year in which new-style 100% loans
will replace the present mix of mandatory awards and old-style loans.

4. Details of the new rates are attached.These rates will be
incorporated in the Student Support Regulations for new students and
the Education (Mandatory Awards) Regulations and Education (Student
Loans) Regulations for existing students which will be laid before
Parliament in due course.

5. 'Old-style' loans are repayable on a fixed term basis of 5 or 7
years, similar to a mortgage. They will continue to be available for
the duration of their courses to students who entered HE in 1997/98
or before. 'New-style loans' are repayable on an income-contingent
basis. The term for their repayment will vary according to the income
of the individual graduate. They are available to students who
started their courses in 1998/99 and 1999/2000.  6. Of the 36,000
extra higher education places available in 1999-2000, 20,000 will be
for part-time students (see DfEE press notice 570/98).

# = pounds sterling

At 09:53 AM 2/1/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anyone know anything about the new loan scheme for part time
>students which was announced on Friday?  I came across it on the BBC
>news Internet page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/)but haven't managed to
>find out any further details.  Any information gratefully accepted.
>
>Pam
>
>----------------------
>Pamela Bell-Ashe
>University of Liverpool
>
>Chair
>Association of Managers of Student Services in Higher Education
>
>Tel:  0151 794 2243
>Fax:  0151 794 2249
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Jim Skinner