BRITISH-IRISH-POETS  1999

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: plus meliorator - rhyming with the enemy?

Sarah de Nordwall <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah de Nordwall <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 May 1999 16:54:16 +0100

text/plain

"That's what I don't understand: if you're going to behave
as if you were climbing a corporate ladder, knives, plots, hypocrisies
and all, why not, in all seriousness, just be an accountant? or whatever?
 (No disrepect to accountants, whose arcane arts are way beyond me).
Whatever you do, you can't pretend to be beyond the pressures that
afflict everyone else, and you can't not take them into account. You
are, whether you like it or not, always stepping through "the enemy's
country". But you don't have to become the enemy." - Alison

Well, I couldn't be more fascinated by this argument;

Yesterday at the Strand theatre I performed and sang a poem for several
hundred of the senior managers of BBC Worldwide at their uarterly review,
which the Director of BBC Worldwide has asked me to write - his PR guy had
sent a message to my desk at the top gear website that he would like a poem
for the review and he let me perform it there without even having seen it
(even though he normally insists on picture approval of every slide of every
managers presentation? Why do I mention this and why is it relevant that a
Production Assistant can get up and be cheered (and paid!) for saying so
many of the things that others would love to say, but can't, because they
are too close to the "top" and have too much to lose? Because I think
firstly that the laughter and energy that the performance evoked bears
testimony to the fact that the role of the Fool is alive and well.

Rhyming with the enemy perhaps? It's an idea I used to hold too, until I
had performed by show "Lipstick is a Spiritual Experience" to so many
different kinds of people (as I said once before on this list) from Managers
of Airmiles to Monks in Kensington, that I realised the old truism - the
enemy is in the eye of the beholder, the enemy is within us all, even the
most Bad and Wicked type of organisational structure is full, surprise,
surprise of Human beings on their own journey, all in different ways and to
different degrees capable of resonating with beauty and the truth that
resonates from heart to heart.

In the same way as St Francis of Assisi walked through the armed camps of
Crusaders who had come to bash the "infidel" and sat in friendly discussion
with the Moslem Sultan, unharmed and unharming, because he carried so little
pride and animosity in his heart, so we too surely should be willing to have
faith in all people around us and be as non attached as possible to the
response of our heart and head honed communications that we call poetry.

I've worked in charities, I've worked in social services, I've worked as a
teacher and I've worked in big business and in the arts as well as in
religious organisations and in all of them I wrote and performed poems and
songs for the people I met, and I never found that any corporation was the
Ultimate Ally of Truth and Beauty and neither was it the Ultimate Enemy of
all things poetic.

I see poetry as a kind of manure. A kind of baby bio that you can nourish
roots with .....I saw a Zen quote the other day that said those who speak
too much of zen stink of zen. I think that sometimes the same can be said
of poetry.

Yesterday the manager who came on after my poetry bit said "that was Sarah
de Nordwall, she works for beeb.com, she's BBC Worldwide's first poet in
residence. First I'd heard of it! Still, I'm back at my desk today
answering e-mails for Topgear and putting up Webcams on the Holiday website,
and who knows what will come of it all, but isn't that the adventure? To
see how far trying to understand where the seeds of what one finds ugly come
from and trying to have the humility to realise that they are within us too.
I haven't even begun to say half of what I wanted, and I don't know about
you, but my prose always seems to come out a bit smug and easy peasy
sounding and only poems capture the real anguish that these kind of tensions
to evoke - perhaps that's part of their value...I finish with a short poem I
wrote a few years ago:

Blood Real

Those who reflect on idealisations
In spite of themselves, commit brutalisations

But Jonah, consumed in the guts of the whale
Found guts of his own
when spewed out small and pale

And staggered
But firm
On the ground he could feel,

Found God
Though in heaven
On earth
Is
Blood Real.

Sarah de Nordwall

In conclusion the question of Career and Vocation, like the issue of
Survival and Justice are like the two poles that hold up the tightrope, and
all I can say is "Long may we dance on it and if we fall, we fall!"

But here's hoping we don't and that other people enjoy paying for a look!

Best wishes

Sarah