Sydney Design 99 Newsletter

Pamela Lee Brenner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:07:54 +1000

text/plain

_/_/_/                           SYDNEY DESIGN 99
_/_/_/
_/_/_/                     26th to  29th September 1999
_/_/_/
_/_/_/
_/_/_/
_/_/_/                        THE AUGUST REPORT                      _/_/_/

August 1998, will be a significant month in the organisation of Sydney
Design 99. As you read this communication the Presidents of ICOGRADA, ICSID
and IFI are meeting in Sydney with the Management Committee of Sydney
Design 99, to review progress of the event.

The review will consider all aspects of the event including: program,
venue, social events and of course finance. The Management Committee has
prepared presentations covering all of these areas as well as providing the
opportunity for open discussion so that the three international
organisations can be satisfied that Sydney Design 99 will be the milestone
we all look forward to.

ICOGRADA, ICSID and IFI are visiting Sydney in 1998 at a very busy time,
during Sydney Design Week. This week has become a regular annual event
emphasising the importance of design to the Australian community and we
will also see in Sydney Renny Ramakers from Droog Design, Victor Margolin
and Rebecca Allen from UCLA.

The two current areas of concentration for the Management Committee are
those of program and the exhibition.

* PROGRAM  The program of Sydney Design 99 is centred around the theme of
"Viewpoints in Time". Many speakers have been invited and already we have
positive responses which will ensure an interesting and stimulating
program. The communicator Richard Saul Wurman, the filmmaker Bud Greenspan,
the indigenous leader Lois O'Donohue, the innovative academic Richard
Buchanan, the media designer Paul Safo and the interior designer Eva
Juricna are amongst those who have agreed to join us. And the list goes on!

The Olympic Design sessions of the Sydney Design 99 Conference are an
official event in the Olympic Arts Festival program of the Sydney 2000
Olympic Games. As a result of this status we will be able to offer a
special insight to delegates into the design of an Olympics.

All of our guest speakers will speak within their area of expertise but
will be asked to reflect on the topics that form the framework of our
program, not another conference of designers show and tell!

*  CALL FOR PAPERS  The program of Sydney Design 99 is structure across
three days with each day focussing on a different set of issues which are
relevant to all disciplines within design practice, design promotion and
design education.

On one afternoon of the conference time has been left for the presentation
of papers prepared by speakers who have not been invited by the committee
to take part in the program. The Management Committee also has reserved
some speaking spots throughout the other days for proposed papers that
emerge from this public call.

The Management Committee welcomes the submission of 250 word abstracts of
proposed papers. These abstracts should be communicated to the Management
Committee ( [log in to unmask]  or  Facsimile: +61 2 9251 3552 ).
Abstracts should be with the Management Committee no later than the 31st
October 1998. Abstracts should be accompanied by a 100 word Curriculum
Vitae and please ensure that all abstracts carry your full contact details.

Proposed papers should address an aspect/s of the conference program as
outlined below:

Day 1: Searching - To be lost is a process of "letting go", of challenging
our preconceptions, of questioning everything that we take for granted as
designers. To open up our minds to other ways of thinking, the different
perspective's of other cultures.

Day 2: Understanding today - (The Olympic Challenge) Understanding our
world as designers today can be seen as a journey that begins with the
setting of our own parameters. Finding our own starting point based upon
knowledge, personal experience, environment, culture and your own
personality. This discussion will be framed within the Olympic design
project a focus of design today, in Sydney across all disciplines. Design
that within our community has deep cultural significance.

Day 3: Enjoying the Journey (20/21 Vision) By further exploring the ideas
that have been developed over the previous two days, the first steps are
taken on the journey to where we are going. The path has no end. You know
where it has come from and you know why you are travelling along it. The
journey is the destination, keep your eyes and mind open and enjoy it.

* EXHIBITION  Our exhibition brochure was published last month, and is
being distributed across our network to all design organisations,
institutions and practices. The exhibition will be open from the 27th
September to the 29 September 1999.

The exhibition will use 3 halls of The Sydney Convention and Exhibition
Centre which is situated on the waterfront at Darling Harbour, close to the
centre of Sydney and adjoining to the conference venue.

The exhibition will be a major component of Sydney Design '99.  It will
provide to exhibitors an excellent opportunity for exposure to the world's
leading designers from more than 50 countries as well as Australia. The
exhibition will feature themed areas to enable visitors to easily find
their areas of interest and will showcase all aspect of design practice,
with exhibits by: suppliers of materials to designers, suppliers of
equipment to designers, suppliers of services to designers, design
publishers and government departments and agencies. The exhibition will
also include exhibits by: institutions offering design education, design
practices and a wide range of national pavilions showcasing design within
their country.

For once a trade exhibition focussed on the practice of design, on quality
design, with a truly international flavour. For further information on the
exhibition and for your copy of the exhibition brochure contact Mr Phil
Peterson at the exhibition organisers, ICMS Australasia Pty Limited:

SYDNEY DESIGN '99 CONFERENCE and EXHIBITION
C/- ICMS Australasia Pty Limited
GPO Box 2609
Sydney  NSW  2001
AUSTRALIA

Telephone: +61 2 9241 1478
Facsimile: +61 2 9251 3552
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

information, contact either Beverley Parrot at ICMS [log in to unmask]
or Ron Newman on [log in to unmask]

*  AND OTHER NEWS

Knut Yran, President ICOGRADA 1966-1968

It is with great regret that I learned of the death of Knut Yran in Spain
on July 16, 1998, May he rest in peace. Knut Yran, from Norway, was a true
internationalist. He was the second President of Icograda and took over from
Willy de Mayo. He was head of design for Phillips Industries, Eindhoven,
Netherlands for 15 years. He was a member of the Board ICSID from 1979-81.
He later served as Chairman of the Norwegian Design Council and was a design
consultant in Spain and Norway. I worked with Knut Yran in the middle to
late 70's, he will be missed.

Design for the World

Design for the World has been established in Barcelona. The constitution
was ratified and signed in Barcelona on July 25, 1998. This follows many
years of discussion and collaboration. The purpose of Design for the World
is the proactive multidisciplinary pursuit of solutions to problems that
surpass the competence of any given field of design activity. Design for
the World will reflect the concerns of international design organisations
which will act in concert to address pressing human needs through
collaborative design solutions. The Founding Members are ICOGRADA, ICSID
and IFI and the Fundacio BCD which has hosted the preparation programme for
Design for the World.

The first Chairman is Mr. Kenji Ekuan of Tokyo whose vision for the
establishment of an international voice for design has been a driving force
in the creation of DW. Mr. André Ricard of Barcelona is the first President
and the first Director General is Mai Felip.

  ,-_|\
 /     \   See you in Sydney in September 1999,      Ron Newman  August 1998
 \_,-._*

In Sydney in September 1999 the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) and the
Australian Graphic Designers Association (AGDA) will host the combined
conferences and general assemblies of the three international organisations
representing Graphic Design (ICOGRADA), Industrial Design (ICSID) and
Interior Design (IFI). Sydney Design '99 promises to be the largest and
most important international design event ever held in Australia,
comprising a large trade exhibition and an expected international and
national delegate attendance of approximately 4,000 delegates.

_/_/_/                                   SYDNEY DESIGN 99
_/_/_/
_/_/_/                              26th to  29th September 1999
_/_/_/
                                             www.sd99.com.au