Re: Asthma mortality

"Simon Carley" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:49:00 +0100

text/plain

----------
> From: Shane Curran <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]

> nick macartney wrote
> >The doses were boluses of 0.5 mg Salbutamol IV. My personal record was
50 mg
> >over about 10 mins. No, I have not made a mistake with the dose, or the
the
> >timing. I hyave not had to ventilate a young asthmatic for ages.
> >Gets off soap box, and takes cover.......
> >Nick
> >Dr NJD Macartney MBBS FRCA
>
> I am interested in these industrial doses>
> As someone who is about to come into asthma season in the region(300 in
one
> day last year) and who has actually ventilated a few asthmatics(without a
> death) i would be interested in anything that staves it off especially
with
> JHO's about to face it alone off 5 minutes until they can get help
> putting the tube in these people is easy
> its keeping them alive while you are doing it that is the problem
> Did anyone ever write these up?
> Shane

There was an excellent paper from melbourne published in the Lancet that
lookes at the benefit of IV salbutamol vs nebulised salbutamol in children
with acute severe asthma. The use of IV bronchodilators was discussed on
the list a while ago. I have repasted the previous posts at the end of this
message (with abstracts).

Simon Carley
Anaesthetics / Intensive Care
Stepping Hill Hospital
Stockport
England

----------
> From: Dr. Bryan Walpole <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Why are you still using aminophylline for asthma?  We understand it
confers no
> benefit over beta 2 agonists +- ipratropium & prednisolone, cant quote
the
> ref's but can get them if you wish!

You must be talking about the excellent RCT of early intravenous salbutamol
in the early management of asthma published in the Lancet.
Browne GJ, Penna AS, Phung X, Soo M. Randomised trial of intrevenous
salbutamol in eatly management of acute severe asthma in children. Lancet
1997;349:301-305

There follows 7 abstracts detailing RCT's on aminophylline versus Beta2
agonists in the treatment of severe asthma.
Search strategy - OVID interface 1993-1997
[asthma exp. ti sh.ab] AND [aminophylline ti.ab.sh (exp)] AND [High quality
RCT filter from Trisha Greenoughs paper in the BMJ]

references 1, 3-7 show no
benefit and reference 2 shows an adverse outcome with aminophylline. Fairly
convinving stuff. Can't find a metaanalysis yet but will feed back if I do.
If not there appears to be ebough RCT's to give it a go!