Re: managing acute DM Charcot's

Notty Bumbo <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 01 Mar 1998 16:59:30 -0800

text/plain

Martin,
I can really only oofer my own experience with mechanical treatment options and
some observations I have made over the years. Sorry, the following isn't
evidence-based, but clearly experience-based.

I have often wondered why so many Charcot feet develop unilaterally. Since the
diabetes is systemic, and the degree of neuropathy clearly bi-lateral, why does
one foot develop the Charcot, but not the other. Clearly there must be a
biomechanical component. I contend that the apparently "natural" limb-length
inequality that nearly all humans have to varying degrees is the likely
culprit. Though we generally adapt wonderfully for this slight (varies from
1/16th to 1/4") discrepency, neuropathy also affets the vibratory response, as
is well documented. The patient responds by increasing impact in order to help
them determine when they've hit the ground. This increased impact will
certainly be greater on the longer limb, and over time, possibly develop a
Charcot breakdown.

Yes, I understand that there is probably no empirical study to support this
theory, but I offer this. Whenever I have applied orthoses or footwear to
diabetics with Charcot feet (and I have done this to many hundreds of patients
over the past twenty years), I have also applied a small lift to the opposite
side, always incorporated into rocker sole modifications. The results are
generally quite dramatic, even in comparison to those instances where I have
applied rocker soles and plastizote inlays without a lift. While nothing will
reverse the degree of breakdown already present, I have seen marked decrease in
further progression of the Charcot development.

Furthermore, I have been applying lifts to those diabetics who have not yet
developed a Charcot joint, but who display assymetric biomechanics. I have
followed a number of these patients through their podiatrists or primary care
physicians for a number of years now, and only one of those patients ever
developed any signs of impending Charcot development. Again, I realize this is
not a scientific study, but I firmly believe that the assymetric biomechanic
component is highly suspect in  cases of Charcot development.

Hope this is, at minimum, provacative, and perhaps, helpful.

Notty Bumbo