PODIATRY  1998

PODIATRY 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Normal testable parametres and Normal Clinicalobservations

"Matt Dilnot" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:41:35 +1000

text/plain

Just a quick thought,

A frequently observed event when prescribing orthoses is that the wear
pattern will change on a shoe. Podiatrists would always like to say i) this
is a good thing and I caused it and ii) it is a result of the orthotic
improving foot function. Just reading Eric's discussion made me realise
(perhaps long after everyone else has), when in the classic situation where
we have a child with medial shoeware (pronated foot, etc), then issue an
orthotic and get lateral shoeware, we have in fact seen a change in the
lever arm lateral to the STJ. In the first instance the lever arm was nice
and close and would have little effect on the STJ (perhaps nicely chosen by
the child's biomechanics) in the latter it is of course much further away.
This would of course require much greater activity of tib.post
eccentrically/concentrically to control the STJ pronation subsequently I ask
the question: Is an orthotic just simply (in this case) a tib post/tib ant
trainer. Perhaps that is why we also see the carry-over effect without the
orthotic. The other question of course is what caused the initial change
from medial to lateral shoeware, is it because the foot requires that range
of pronation and has to adapt to the orthotic (yes I know the standard
podobiomechanics answer,  but I want another)?

Just another comment, (whilst I am out on a limb so to speak, hehehe), in
foot manipulation it has been observed that following STJ/ankle manip that
there is increased inversion of the foot prior to loading in stance. Is it
possible that because we temporarily confuse the proprioceptors of the
joints that they require much more lateral heel contact/force to increase
joint sense to the brain? By doing so frequently one could  inadvertently
alter the timing/function of tib.post/ant to control pronation etc. and once
again we get the carry-over effect into gait.

For your thoughts,

Matt