PODIATRY  1998

PODIATRY 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Orthosis Rx Compromise - Try a Blake device

Notty Bumbo <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:18:22 -0800

text/plain

Oh Great Chipster!
To have gotten a reply from thee! I am so honored! But beyond that - I long ago, (and
some say, far away) developed a modification to both the Blake and the medial skive
proceedures that solves some of the difficulty I came up against with their mutual
standard approaches. I have spoken of this modification many times - I call it the
Valmassy modification, because Ron was the first clinician to be willing to try it out
with his patients, (and because I couldn't very well call it the Quasimodo
modification, now, could I?).

This mod was developed in response to what seemed an obvious problem with both
approaches, to whit (always wanted to say that), when the cast is either inverted, for
the Blake, or the medial anterior aspect of the plantar heel of the cast is shaved and
re-shaped, as in the medial skive, the volume and width of the heel cup is
significantly changed. In fact, it is made narrower. Any resultant orthoses, assuming
the standard lateral expansion amount and shape is employed in either case, results in
a heel cup that is too narrow for the patient. This is easy to see if you view the cast
posteriorly, then invert the cast, after drawing a heel cup depth line aroung the
circumference of the heel, say, 20 mm.

So it is clear that the standard approach to lateral expansion is insufficient for
either of these cast correction approaches. But the problem extends to more than width
and volume - it also involves the shape of the lateral expansion. The act of skiving or
inverting the cast in effect "lifts" (I know, not very scientific, but it is true) the
medial aspect of the heel. As the calcaneous is, at least the last time I looked, a
rigid bone, then any change in elevation along one side of that bone must create an
opposite effect on the other side of that bone, i.e., it "drops". So big deal, you say.
What of it, you snarle. No skin off my back, you sneer. Well, maybe you didn't do all
those things.

If the lateral side drops as the medial side is lifted, then the lateral expansion must
respond to that basic fact. The standard shape used for lateral expansions creates
resistance to what the orthoses is attempting to accomplish along the medial aspect. By
using a Valmassy modification, the orthoses can usually accomplish the same amount of
control with a lesser degree of cast correction overall. To get an idea of this shape,
simply take a standard Root-style orthoses, viewed posteriorly, and rotate into
inversion. Observe the lateral heel against a verticle bisector. Now, increas the heel
cup depth along the lateral side while maintaining that shape. Wallah, as they say in
India.

Oh, I do go on. I'd be glad to show you this at the seminar in October. Glad you'll be
on board.

Latte, as they say in California.
Notty Bumbo