RE: Virtual and Reality

Taylor Nuttall <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:42:06 -0000

text/plain

Aharon, I suspect (like you?) that there is some inherent quality of VR
that as artists we either intentionally or unintentionally exploit. If your
questioning seeks to expose this it may be useful to explore the question
by reviewing other media. But undeniably the opportunity for discovery lies
in the medium of VR itself.

You state that 'the promise of Photography is to take photo's' what does
this mean? Our expectations of photography and it's effects have evolved
over time - if we are to refer to it's cultural meaning rather than a
technological meaning, which I assume as artists we are.

Do you intend to frame your question in an art context or are you framing
your questions in a wider domain?

I'm not intending to cut your discussion short, just clarify to the
context. Are we referring to VR as a technology or as a medium or both? Are
these different discussions?

I think the essential premise of asking 'what is VR' is a valid and timely
one.

A web based resource reviewing VR as a technology can be found at:
http://www.isx.com/~jisdale/WhatIsVr.html
<http://www.isx.com/~jisdale/WhatIsVR.html
What Is Virtual Reality?
A Web-Based Introduction