LITURGY 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Neo-gothic architecture

"George R. Hoelzeman" <[log in to unmask]>

George R. Hoelzeman

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:16:38 -0500

text/plain

>The worship space in my congregation is a fine example of 1950's American
>Neo-Gothic architecture.  I've general understood such spaces as patterned
>after the tabernacle and temple with the sanctuary corresponding to the
>holy of holies, the choir corresponding to the holy place, and the nave to
>the court yard, that the openness of the sanctuary symbolizes our access to
>God in Christ Jesus, and the inclusion of the people within the building
>shows that we are all a kingdom of priests offering our praises to God and
>interceding for the world.
>
>My question: Is all this the fruit of my overactive imagination or did the
>folks who designed these building really have this kind of thing in mind?
>The simple little history of church architecture I read this morning
>suggests that the gothic pattern of a nave and a chancel divided into choir
>and sanctuary has little to do with theological symbolism.  I was wondering
>if it played a role in the 19th and early 20th century neo-gothic revival?

Several things here:  First, Christianity has incorporated often very
specific symbolism (iconography) into its art and architecture from very
early times.  Several witnesses to this include literary qualities of early
literature (biblical and non-biblical), catacomb wall paintings, early
house-churches (Dura-Europos, c. AD230), and obviously the artistic and
archtectural developments after the Edict of Milan (AD313).

The Basilica plan, which is the basis of the architecture which you
describe, was originally a legal/imperial court of the ancient Greco-Roman
world (used mostly by the Romans).  While as such it had no obvious
Christian symbolism, aspects of its meaning and function were easily
adapted to Christian use.  This plan became dominant in the West, while a
centrally planned design became dominant in the East.  The symbolism of
which you speak is reflected in the wall paintings and ritual of the church
architecture as early as the 4th to 6th centuries, esp. in churches like
Old St. Peter's (built AD325), St. Vitale, Ravenna (AD530) and St.
Apollinare Nuovo and Classe (also in Ravenna).  Several Medieval writers
built on this symbolism, including Abbot Suger, who sponsored the first
Gothic construction between 1135 and 1144 at St. Denis in Paris.

Ed is correct in his accessment of the Neo-Gothic revival, and I would add
that this style was prefered by followers of 18th and 19th century
Romanticism, which emphasised Nature and quasi-mysticism over the
Rationalism of Neo-Classicism.  You can even see a Nationalist bend in all
this.  France (and to a lesser degree Italy) were the primary advocates of
the Neo-Classical style, whereas England and Germany favored more "native
European" styles, of which Gothic was considered the paradigm.  Thus, in
the US, you will commonly see Anglican and Episcopal churches in the
Neo-Gothic style, while Catholics of English origins prefer Baroque or
Roccocco styles reminiscent of that found in Rome or Catholic France.
German Catholics (and often Lutherans as well) leaned to the Neo-Gothic,
while Italian communities favored more Renaissance or Baroque styles.

Today's liturgical movement (esp. within Catholicism, but also in other
liturgical denominations) there is a shift in the prefered style of
architecture.  We see a tendency to embrace the philosophical approach of
the Modernists like Walter Gropius or Mies van der Rohe, with elements of
Frank Lloyd Wright, etc. (although post-Modernism is increasingly common as
well).  Again, these movements reflect a philosophy which is adaptable to
Christian belief and an essentially new architecture (for liturgical space)
has begun to emerge (though not without its problems).

Should you be involved in a renovation project for the space of which you
speak, I would encourage you to explore all the historical, iconographical
and liturgical aspects of the meaning and function of the current space as
fully as possible.  There is a value to this type of structure
(historically, if nothing else) and every effort should be made to conserve
that heritage.  If you are interested in further information on these
topics, I would be happy to assist any way I can.

George R. Hoelzeman, Obl.S.B.
Association of Consultants for Liturgical Space
http://www2.arkansas.net/~uiogd