ENVIROETHICS  1998

ENVIROETHICS 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 40% deaths environmental--rebuttal (fwd)

John Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 09 Nov 1998 15:58:34 -0800

text/plain

I my opinion the Catholic view has some support in recent biology that has
something to do with whether contraception is morally considerate of life-
if it is artificial or not - and this has to do with the pill.

The female birth control pill utilizes synthetic estrogen to control
implantation of the fertilized egg witin the lining of the uterus. Studies
both in Germany and in the USA have found that the pill is capable of
altering the level of desire in women who take the pill. For instance,
Deborah Blum, writing in "Sex on the Brain" relates the finding of a study
done in Germany on oral contraceptives:

"A recent study done in Germany found that women on birth control pills see
the world as a far more platonic place than women using other forms of
contraception....Compared to other women in the study, those on the pill
were far less likely to do that [get excited by looking at a nude body] and
more likely to see a body as a neutral composition of muscle, bone, and
skin. They were also less likely to be charmed by pictures of babies,
another hint of influence on reproductive interests."

"In 1978, the New England Journal of Medicine published a study tracking two
groups of women, one using oral contraceptives, the others relying on
diaphragms, IUDs, and your basic collection of sperm buffers. Each of the 35
participants kept a daily log of sexual activities and of what scientists
call "interest", but which is a lot more fun than that: more the way sexual
fantasy drifts, unbidden, to mind, the way arousal jolts, unexpectedly, as
you watch a partner in the morning, rubbing sleep away. Women who were not
on the pill reported a rise in both interest and activity timed closely to
ovulation. Women on the pill reported no particular change in interest or
initiation."

The most striking evidence of an effect on behaviour associated with  is
found in studies on primate monkeys. When monkeys were given oral
contraceptives the finding was that

"On the pill, when the animals were housed together, sex continued according
to the males' wishes....There may be some women who are unusually sensitive
to estradiol effects and who may find that the pill changes a relationship.
A woman who doesn't like her current partner much anyway may be even less
enthralled while on the pill."

But more importantly the issue too is whether estradiol should be used by
women when it is emitted into the environment. The levels of estradiol in
water surrounding Berlin is quite high and in fact rivers in England
downstream of sewage plants also have high levels of synthetic estrogens.

A recent unpublished study by Hanson et al (1998) shows that estrogen
mimicing compounds found in water in the city of Berlin are feminizing fish
species. In some cases up to 99 % of a species of fish species is female. In
laboratory studies this feminization (in vitro) has been widely observed as
vitellogenesis in male fish, that is the formation of yolk in male fish
species. Only certain chemicals are capable of this: synthetic estrogens are
1000 to 1 million times more potent than are the plasticizer compounds found
in plastic [phthalates], and bisphenol A, for instance, so large amounts of
one and some amounts of others combine to create very abnormal conditions
for developing fish and even human males who drink the water, eat the fish
and breath the air. Denmark for instance has very high rates of
cryptorchidism, testicular cancers, hypospadias, etc., in it's male
population, and the trend appears to be worsening in incidence.

In Puerto Rico there is an outbreak of precocious puberty in young girls as
young as 6 years old near the plants that make birth control pills which are
used in birth control pills, and there are unexplained effects elsewhere due
to DES perhaps used in livestock operations.

Other cases reported are found in countries that continue to use DES a
compound used to increase the growth of chicken and factory farm animals.

So the problem regarding birth control is difficult to solve on a moral
basis and on a environmental basis. Certainly, women should be able to find
and use a method of birth control that is both effective and safe to the
environment. The problem with condoms is that they are not 100 % effective.

Some catholics use a method called the "thermo-symptomatique technique".
This method relies on taking the womens temperature and so on to find out
when she is likely to ovulate, a chart is made to assess each womans
characteristics surrounding when she ovaluates. It is suitable for couples
but as far as unplanned sex is concerned the other methods work better [i.e.
the pill and condoms].

I am not an expert in contraception but I have written a paper [graduate
level paper on synthetic estrogens] and place my concern with the women that
are taking the pill.

John