sad news - Ginsberg digest

cris cheek <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:08:06 +0000

text/plain

Forwarding, with permission, a personal flash on
Ginsberg's death. Followed by a digest of bits from Poetics
from those not subscribed there.
Might counteract the somewhat equivocal obits in the
British press  -  vide The Times:

'. . .Yet Ginsberg never won a major literary prize. And there is another
school of thought which finds his work free-wheeling and shallow - the
rantings of a drug-befuddled mind. Ginsberg did, indeed, (get that honky
punctuation folks!) experiment with a beqildering array of narcotics, from
mescalin to morphine, from dope to LSD. Bob Dylan, with whom he
collaborated for some time, once described him as a "con man
extraordinaire"; while John Giorno, the poet and former lover of Andy
Warhol, described him as "the founding father of bullshit liberals".'
(7/4/97)

From:         Maria Damon <[log in to unmask]>

first time i met ginsberg 1977 he told me how great peter was in bed and
quoted the tempest to me. (he was making chicken soup with grapes; i sd,
that looks pretty potent, he sd, this so potent magic i do abjure, what's
that from. i sd tempest, he sd any student of the tempest is a friend of
mine, and are u related to s foster damon. no, i sd, it used to be diamond,
i'm half jewish.  why only half he sd.)  later that summer i spent a few
minutes in bed w/ him before i bailed.
the last time i saw ginsberg 1996 was at St Marks do for Bob Kaufman. we
both presented stuff along w/ many others. (i'd had many encounters w/ him
in between, and often he seemed petulant and distracted as i was awkward
around him and not of the right gender for commanding his attention.  one
time i wove him a white silk opera scarf.  when i gave it to him he sd
what's an opera scarf, i sd it's what they all wear in proust novels, so he
seemed happy with it or at least gracious about accepting it.)  so, last
time i saw ginsberg about a year ago after the kaufman evening's ceremonies
i pulled him aside and said, allen i want to tell you something i think you
would understand. when i saw bob kaufman's ashes i put some of them in my
mouth.  he said, yes, that's a very common understandable impulse, eating
the ashes of the dead. he was nice, tender as he'd been all evening when
recounting tales of kaufman, not petulant and distracted but patient and
kind, i thought, he knows he's going to die soon, that' why he's being so
nice.  then ira cohen? or someone? snapped a photo of us that i would love
to have. just last week i was at the ginsberg archives at stanford looking
for kaufman stuff, and found  some.