Get Password

Re: Domino Syndrome / Read Codes

Bradley Cheek <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Jul 96 10:38:24 GMT

text/plain

Hello Robert

> Just a few notes on the thread ....
> ..... specifically about heartsink Patients
> ..... and related Read Codes
>

> Heartsink patients
>
> Heartsink patients cause doctors anxiety and
> stress.   They account for 11% of average GP
> workload.   Most GP's have 20 - 30 patients on
> their individual lists that they would label as
> heartsink.  Heartsink patients are not always
> frequent attenders

Thank you - I really liked this! Thought you might be interested to read
something I wrote a few years ago about one particular category of heartsink
patient.

I don't have any heartsink patients - the problem is in the doctor's brain
not the patients :-)

   Problem Patients in General Practice - "The Loader"

This sort of patient has a thick record file, often detailing numerous
negative investigations, but may have many past physical health problems
which are time-served.  She has been to many other doctors in the past, but
no-one has been able to "help" her.  She spends 30 minutes or more pouring
out her story to you (she has rehearsed this many times before with others!)
and then says "I defy you to sort that lot out, doctor".

LISTENING:
You probably have to listen to this patient's story right through, so that
she feels understood.  Watch for non-verbal minimal cues and keywords during
her story, which may give clues to the most important issues for her.

FEELINGS:
While you are listening to the story, how do YOU feel?  It is likely that
these feelings are reflected from the patient.  Note them mentally, as they
will be useful later.

THE AGENDA:
You need to define a common agenda with the patient.  What are her aims? Are
they realistic?  Match up your agenda with the patient's - and make this
agenda explicit.  Set out a contract with the patient, detailing what you
plan to do together to achieve these aims.  The contract must include the
use of time, and the fact that the patient is going to solve her problems,
not you - you are just a catalyst.  Then empower the patient to take the
control within this framework.

PRIORITISE PROBLEMS:
Get the patient to list the problems - this can be done as homework - then
determine with her which is the most important for her, so that you can
tackle that problem first.  It may not be the most important problem as far
as you are concerned, but let the patient have the control:  She may want to
test you out with a secondary problem first.  It is sometimes helpful to use
a graphical symbolic representation, eg:  Draw a flower, and put a problem
in each of the flower's petals.  Then pick the petals off, one at a time, in
the order the patient chooses.

TACKLING THE PROBLEM:
Summarise the patient's chosen problem, using words which she has used, to
check out that you are talking about the same thing.  Empathise, using those
feelings which you noticed while she was telling her story. Allow her to
express her own feelings, then explore these feelings to allow the patient
to define the possible solutions to the problem.  Keep in your mind these
questions:
What's the problem?
Why is it a problem?
Avoid being sidetracked, unless the new topic becomes more important (but
don't forget to go back to the other topic later).  Remember that jumping to
another topic may be the patient's conscious or subconscious way of avoiding
a difficult or painful issue.  Give the patient time to devise her own
realistic solutions (homework again), in conjunction with other people who
are involved, if appropriate.  She can then put the plan which she has
devised into action, and you can then tackle the next problem together.

THE PROBLEMS:
There are three sorts of problem:
1  The problem which is solvable by some specific action.
2  The problem which will solve itself with the passage of time.
3  The insoluble problem, which the patient must accept and come to  terms
with.
Which category does the problem fit into?  This will determine the most
appropriate course of action.

WHEN IT GETS STUCK:
...Which does happen, remember those keywords, and feed them back to the
patient.  What about those minimal cues - "You looked very sad when you were
talking about your father..." - and the use of silence?  It could be that
you and the patient are on different wavelengths, so check this out by
summarising.

TRANSACTIONAL ANALYSIS:
The patient feels helpless like a Child, and you are the Parent who will
solve all her problems.  Instead of responding in this way, speak to her as
an Adult to an Adult:  She will find this difficult at first, but persevere,
allowing her to take control of the consultation in an Adult way.

DON'T RUSH IT:
Go at the patient's pace, not yours.  Let the patient do the work, don't
give her your answers to her problems.  A satisfactory outcome may take
several sessions, or sometimes even years, but you can achieve this during
ordinary 10-minute consultations.  She would be coming to see you anyway, so
using this model you are at least using the time constructively.  And don't
give up!  You will find that often everything suddenly all seems to fall
into place!

REMEMBER:
Let the patient do the talking.  Listening is an active process - use your
eyes and your feelings as well as your ears.  Don't be afraid of silence:
Watch for those eye movements which show internal dialogue, and don't
interrupt it!  Those eyes will move before the patient starts speaking
again, so turn your ears back on - she may well talk very quietly, and what
she says may well be very important.  Spot those keywords - "angry",
"depressed" - remember them and feed them back for clarification - "you said
that you felt very angry about...".  The patient is most likely to do
"homework" if you give her a piece of paper with the headings on which you
have agreed with her - "advantages of.../disadvantages of..." - headed
practice paper seems to work best.

TAKE A WALK:
After these consultations you will feel shattered.  If you do not come to
terms with the feelings which are still in your head, they will affect the
next consultation, so the next patient might get a bad deal. So, even if you
are running late, put the kettle on, unload your feelings onto the practice
manager, or take a breath of fresh air.  The rest of your surgery will run
much more smoothly as a result.

USEFUL BOOKS:
Byrne and Long:  Doctors Talking to Patients
Neighbour:  The Inner Consultation
Berne:  Games People Play

 Bradley Cheek - [log in to unmask] (Well close Square)

 Connecting via Demon Internet Ltd