ACADEMICLISTENING  January 2023

ACADEMICLISTENING January 2023

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

LINK CORRECTION: Registration open - assessing listening event

Niamh Mullen <[log in to unmask]>

Developing, Teaching and Testing Academic Listeners BALEAP SIG

Fri, 20 Jan 2023 13:22:50 +0000

text/plain

Apologies with the issue with the registration link in my previous email. Please see below for the correct one...

You are warmly invited to a joint TAFSIG/Academic Listening SIG event on assessing listening in EAP. This event on the afternoon of Thursday 2nd February from 15:00 to 16:30 (UK time). The key themes, which have been selected based on feedback form our SIG members are:

·       How authentic should listening assessment be?
·       Should listening be tested in an integrated way?
·       How should listening be tested online?

The event will begin with a talk by Gary Ockey, a Professor in Applied Linguistics and Technology at Iowa State University who researches assessment of second language listening proficiency. Gary will be talking to us on the following:

How much can we compromise authenticity on second language listening assessments and how can technology help to limit these compromises?

When assessing second language listening, we want our test tasks to be as authentic as possible because this helps to best ensure valid inferences about test takers’ abilities and leads to positive washback. Unfortunately, highly authentic test tasks can be impractical, particularly in online at-home environments. As a result, we usually need to make some compromises. Two important questions arise from this challenge: “How much can we compromise authenticity and still provide effective listening assessments?” and “How can we use technology to limit these compromises?” In this talk, I will address these questions by discussing: what we mean by listening comprehension, virtual environments and spoken dialogue systems as uses of technology for helping make integrated listen-speak tasks more authentic, and some modifications to the way we have traditionally assessed listening to limit the incidences of cheating on online at-home tests.

Following the talk by our guest speaker, we will break out into small seminar groups for follow-up discussions.

If you would like to register to attend this event, please provide your information the form below. A zoom link for the event will be sent to you in due course. We kindly request that you only register for this event if you are planning to attend the live session. This is due to capacity limitations on the online platform:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=qO3qvR3IzkWGPlIypTW3y5AXdQxkTuRIo15U116a8e1UNlNKSkhDTTRNTVdPSlNEUDlFWk9FSUJGTS4u

Many thanks

Niamh, Emma and Rob (Academic Listening and TAF SIGs)