DRAWING  December 2022

DRAWING December 2022

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

DTP Online - A conversation with Aldobranti

Draw to Perform <[log in to unmask]>

Draw to Perform <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Dec 2022 12:24:22 +0000

Movement and Thinking
DTP Online - A conversation with Aldobranti
Monday, 12 December 2023, 20:00 – 21:00 BST, London Time

Draw to Perform is inviting you to join the upcoming conversation between artists Ram Samocha and Aldobranti. In this Zoom meeting, Aldobranti will give a short presentation of his practice. This will be followed by a talk between the two artists about the drawing process, the artist's body, performing to the camera, and the idea of MOVEMENT suspending THINKING.

Here are some points from Aldobranti regarding this upcoming conversation:
- I am interested in the interaction of thinking and movement since I identify as being a case of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, I don't have a formal diagnosis of ADHD. This manifests itself as a brain that is always questing for a problem to solve.
- When do I notice that this is not happening? Most obviously when I am cycling. Perhaps it is the rhythmic motion of cycling that helps. I do not notice this suspension of thinking when walking and for sure I wouldn't wish to be cycling on the highway while thinking of anything other than the road. Other times when I am aware of stopping this analytical type of thinking is when dancing or in a yoga class.
- I became interested in performative drawing when I tried tracing my hand in the act of drawing itself - Drawing Awarely/ The problem of drawing for the analytical is in being outside of the task.
- By what extent are you thinking about what you're drawing or of what you're drawing? In other words, do you draw in process?
- How do you think while you are drawing?

DTP Online is a program by Draw to Perform which includes an hour studio visit to artists that relate to contemporary drawing, performative drawing, and live art. These online events are giving the audience an opportunity to get a closer look at the work of key artists in the genre. They also give the audience a chance to observe the artist's creative process and their choice of materials and techniques as the work progresses.
At the beginning of each meeting, the visiting artist gives a live 10-minute performance or presentation in their own private workplace. The focus lies not only on performance art but also on those who use drawing as their main medium of work.
The program was created with the setbacks of the continued pandemic and lockdown in mind, and it gives us a chance to connect more in a time of separation and collectively brainstorm ideas on drawing, art and performing, as the audience is invited to ask the artists direct questions.

Please go to the Draw to Perform Eventbrite page to get your free ticket for this upcoming event:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dtp-online-a-conversation-with-aldobranti-tickets-478325212587