News from The Poetry Kit

Jim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Oct 2022 13:39:44 +0000

text/plain

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update on our poetry courses available for the next three months.  Our November short courses are filling up fast, and our December workshop is in demand. And I want to give you a heads up on our new course in January.  But first let me say a word about our longer courses.   Our two most popular longer courses are The Foundation Course in Poetry at £65 and our Mentoring Programme which costs £110

MENTORING - Our most popular course is the longer mentoring programme.  This lasts from 3 to 6 months depending on response times from the participant.  All mentoring is with Jim Bennett and is individually designed to meet the needs of the participant.  The cost of this is £110 but places are limited.  This course can be completed in three months, but may take longer. See https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses_ment.htm

FOUNDATION POETRY COURSE -  The Poetry Foundation Course takes the participant through some of the basic processes of writing poetry in a supportive, encouraging and interesting way. We aim develop good practise and a structured approach to writing.  This is achieved through a series of set exercises backed up with detailed help and reliable feedback.  The purpose is to allow the participant to build their skills of observation and develop clarity of language and expression while at the same time allowing their individual voice and technique to begin to develop.  The course costs £65 and can be completed in 10 weeks.  See https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses_found.htm

SHORT COURSES - Our short courses which generally are three weeks run every month and each course deals with a particular poetic topic or idea.  Every month we hope to introduce a new course.  The three new courses for the next three months are;

NOVEMBER 7th November – 27th November 2022
A Cabinet of Curiosities – Objects in Poetry   (NEW)
This course will be focusing on objects and how they can be used in poetry.  We will look at strategies to help the poet to use objects and to look at juxtaposition and metaphor.  The importance of an “object” as a symbol or metaphor and how this can enhance a poem.  The cost of the course is £30 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KX9TAXT6ESVVA

DECEMBER   4th – 31st December 2022
December Poetry Workshop
3 weeks of holiday poetry fun to fit around your shopping and holiday preparations.  Poetry exercises that will inspire you to engage with the season like never before. We will be looking to develop poems from the small events and the large, from the personal to nature and the time of year. This will be a fun workshop with the serious intent to produce some fine poetry.   The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=989FB56VMMRA6

JANUARY 9th – 30th January 2023
The Right Word
Mark Twain said “To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement.” And it is true that a well chosen word can bring a poem to life and a poorly chosen word can stifle it.  In this course we will be looking at how the choice of a single word can set the tone and mood in a poem, and even be used to engage with a subtext that create layers in a poem’s understanding.  The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DBS2BDHTT3W36

Below are the short three week courses we have scheduled for November and January.  If you have been on a course previously and you would like to repeat it then you can do that at a reduced fee course fee of £20,  book using this link https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K77BNVPJN2LX4  but then please write to us and let us know which course you would like.

You can also book more than one short course at a reduced fee of £50 for two courses, but again if you do please remember to let me know what courses you would like.

Also can I reassure you that our system will not allow a payment to be taken if there are no places available.

If you have any questions about any of our courses please let me know.   [log in to unmask]

Mary

Mary Devine, PK Courses

SHORT COURSES FOR NOVEMBER 2022  -   7th November – 27th November 2022

A Cabinet of Curiosities – Objects in Poetry   (NEW)
This course will be focusing on objects and how they can be used in poetry.  We will look at strategies to help the poet to use objects and to look at juxtaposition and metaphor.  The importance of an “object” as a symbol or metaphor and how this can enhance a poem.  The cost of the course is £30 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KX9TAXT6ESVVA

Sense and nonsense the poetry of the surreal
Surreal or nonsense poetry has a strong history in the development of poetry.  Its place today is less sure but this course seeks to introduce poets to the ideas surrealism and how these can benefit a poem.  On this course we will look at the origins of the surreal and how it is still applicable and can produce some spectacular results.  The cost of this course is £30
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=74D4NQ8PMBEM8

New Poetry Workshop
This three week course looks at new ways to find subjects, write, edit and publish poems.  This is a challenging course that asks poets to look at these issues in a new way. Ideal for those wanting to write more and to have more tools available. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 – https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=92UM85FEPMN9Y

Poetry in changing times
This is a short online course for poets who want to look at the way their poetry can stay relevant in changing times.  We will be looking at relevance, authenticity and voice as cornerstones for producing poems that engage with change. We will look at personal, scientific and imagined responses.   The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=AMXZ6LGUKBKYU

Poetry and Music
This course looks at the interaction between poetry and music, how music can inspire poetry and the use of poetry as lyric.  The musical properties of poetry, rhythm and line choices, and new ways to use sonic devices in poetry.  We will be looking for many opportunities to develop these ideas into poems. Full feedback and help will be given during the course. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 – https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EFGXHMJ9KG8NY

Writing Poetry for Children
This is a short online course for poets who would like to write poetry for children. On this workshop course we will look at what works in poetry for children and what does not.  Language and imagery, metaphor and how children see the world.  Holding a young person’s interest and storytelling through poetry. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 – https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=VS2TUQGPXYQFS

Poems in the everyday
The poet interacts with the world in a variety of ways. This short course we will look at how the poet can interact with the world and find poems in everyday events. .We also look at journaling and notebooks.+ The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 – https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YBZH2UU6PN6WG

Journals, Diaries and Dreams
This three-week course looks at notebooks and journals as a key resource for writers and poets. Learn more about how these can be used and how to use them more effectively, recording events and snapshots, scrapbooking and dreams and how to use these in poetry.   The course costs £30 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=729CEH4CJ2LG4

Sonnet workshop
This short 3 week course looks at the sonnet in its traditional form and how poets are rediscovering it as a vehicle in contemporary poetry. This has alwys been a popular form but in many ways not fully understood.  This course will focus on producing sonnets and discovering possibilities in the form that have  not been considered. The cost of this course costs £30.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DN8LBA3KTDN62

Metaphor and revelation in poetry
This 3 week course looks at the transformative qualities of metaphor in poetry.  The way metaphor can be used in exciting ways to bring new revelation and understanding in a poem.  We will look at metaphor different ways and see how important it is.  The cost of this course costs £30.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=55WBNXUYUL8CJ

Exploring symbols and Myth
Poems can use myth and symbols to explore modern themes. Myths and symbols come from our joint experience and can be used to add deeper meaning in a poem.  This three week course will focus on understanding and incorporating these devices in poetry. The cost of this course cost is £30.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=Q9WDCYBE22TR6

DECEMBER POETRY WORKSHOP  4th – 31st December 2022

December Poetry Workshop
3 weeks of holiday poetry fun to fit around your shopping and holiday preparations.  Poetry exercises that will inspire you to engage with the season like never before. We will be looking to develop poems from the small events and the large, from the personal to nature and the time of year. This will be a fun workshop with the serious intent to produce some fine poetry.   The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=989FB56VMMRA6

Because we appreciate your support the fee is reduced to £20 for anyone who has taken one of our other courses at any time. For the reduced fee please use this link.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JBGY8WSKQS96Q

SHORT COURSES FOR January 2023 – 9th-30th January 2023

The Right Word
Mark Twain said “To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement.” And it is true that a well chosen word can bring a poem to life and a poorly chosen word can stifle it.  In this course we will be looking at how the choice of a single word can set the tone and mood in a poem, and even be used to engage with a subtext that create layers in a poem’s understanding.  The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DBS2BDHTT3W36

Developing the Craft
This three-week course looks at developing a number of craft elements that will help the poet to produce modern freeform poetry.  Understanding how and when to use some poetic devices that will engage with the reader can be the key to writing engaging poetry.  The cost of this course is £30 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=WENDB4T6SAGCS

Writing Ekphrastic Poetry
The aim of this course is to look at the different approaches that can be taken to bring new insights to poems that engage with a piece of visual art.  During the course poets will be asked to respond to a series of paintings using a variety of techniques. Poems will be workshopped and full feedback given. The cost of this course is £30 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=H8J5AMXL8FTFN

Writing in traditional forms
This three week course looks at new modern ways to use traditional forms.  These forms can be ways for poets to grow the tools available and to find new ways to say what they want.  These forms can produce memorable and exciting ways to explore modern topics.  This is a challenging course that asks poets to look at some traditional forms in new ways. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=GY3FNDXNXT3H6

Poetry and the Natural world
This is a short online course for poets who want to look at the ways to engage with  the naural world, and look at the impact of human activities on the world around us.  On this course we will move from the romantic view of nature to the urban landscape and to the impact of human activity. We will be looking at and writing poetry relevant to our changing world.  The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2XUS74ASPPDZ6

Poetry and Science
This short online course looks at how poetry can interface with different sciences and provide a way to use exciting ideas in poetry, and how poetry can interpret a scientific world view.   Starting with geology, and onto physics and astronomy.  You do not need a scientific background just an interest in finding new ways to develop poetry. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2RJQ37ZF587LW

Images, short forms, and haiku
This course looks at the role played by images in poetry.  It considers their use in short forms and how they can be used to develop engaging and memorable poems.  As part of this process, we will be looking at the opportunities and challenges presented by short forms including haiku.  The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=W48NLELP3TB92

Strategies for Writing Poetry
What do you do when you hit a point when the ideas and ability that you rely on for writing poetry dry up.  This happens to most writers from time to time, and on this course, we will look at proven strategies to get past this point.  This is a course suitable for everyone even if you do not have a problem as these are strategies to help approach poetry in new ways.  The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –  https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YSCXM42LTKWGU

Adventures in Poetry
This short course looks at ways to approach poetry and to consider it in a wider context.  We will look at new ways to engage with poetry and the reader.  To present poetry in new ways and to bring a freshness to your writing. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B8CSV48PN25S4

The language of shape
Lines and Stanza.  Understanding the way structure influences the way the poem is received.  Different ways to engage with line and shape in poetry.  Using end stopping and enjambment and caesura to add interest and structure in a poem.  Standard and non-standard punctuation in modern poetry.   The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –  https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YRKQFPDXJT2VY

Poetry and Science
This short online course looks at how poetry can interface with different sciences and provide a way to use exciting ideas in poetry, and how poetry can interpret a scientific world view.   Starting with geology, and onto physics and astronomy.  You do not need a scientific background just an interest in finding new ways to develop poetry. The course will be conducted online over three weeks, at a cost of £30 –
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2RJQ37ZF587LW

Phycogeography and Place in Poetry
This short course looks at ways in which the poet and the reader are influenced by place.  How the urgan environment can feed into the poetry and becomes an essential setting.  We also look at the way place influences the interpretation of the poem  and how to develop a sense of place in poetry.  The cost of the course is £30
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=3R9FUX9W5R952

SPECIAL OFFERS

Reprise a course for £20
Many of our students want to repeat a course and it seems unfair to ask for a full fee so if you want to repeat a course and submit new poems for the tasks then it will cost only £20 using the payment link. Do remember to write and let us know which course you want.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=K77BNVPJN2LX4

SPECIAL OFFER
Book any two short courses for £50 using the link below, and then please write to us at [log in to unmask] to let us know which two courses you would like.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6ESMVNLE4NG6Q

THE FOLLOWING LONGER COURSES  ARE ALSO AVAILABLE
See our courses brochure for details www.poetrykit.org/pkc.pdf
Or go to our website at https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

Poetry Foundation Course
A course suitable for those looking for an introduction to writing poetry.
The Foundation Course is an introduction to writing poetry.  If want to write and start to understand poetry and to develop the basic skills to help express yourself, then this is for you.  You will learn how poetry can help  you to see things in a different way and gain confidence in writing about them. To book any of our longer courses go to https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

Poetry Course - Part 1
A course in reading and writing poetry.  For the poets who want to develop their skills.
If you have been writing poetry and feel you want to take it further, then this course will help you to improve and show you new skills and how to get the best from your writing. Learn more about poetic devices, structure, editing and form.  We also look at markets for your poetry and getting published. To book any of our longer courses go to https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

Poetry Course - Part 2
A course in advanced writing skills.  To help a skilled poet improve further.
You may have been writing for a while, been published, won competitions, feel you have had some success,  This course with exercises designed to help you recognise your style and voice, will help you to maximise the potential.  To book any of our longer courses go to https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

Mentoring
A one to one mentoring service offering detailed support and writing exercises.
One to one mentoring. Ideas are discussed and foundations for poems developed with assistance and critique in working through drafts to completed poems. This is a mentoring experience and will work with strengths and identify weaknesses in writing style, all content will be chosen to meet the needs of the student. To book any of our longer courses go to https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

Critique
Send 10 poems and have them individually critiqued by Jim Bennett who is an internationally known, prize-winning poet. To book any of our longer courses go to https://www.poetrykit.org/pkcourse/pkcourses.htm

The Poetry of Bob Dylan
Exploring the lyrics and poetry of Bob Dylan.
We will be looking at examples of his writing from periods throughout his career and examining how he uses words to shape the environment of the song.  Dylan regularly broke the rules of lyrical writing and in doing so created a body of work that rewards exploration with techniques and possibilities.