Design Research news, April 2022

DAVID DURLING <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:05:57 +0100

text/plain

________________________________________________  ________________
____________________________________________      __  _  _  _   __
__________________________________________   ___  __   ___  ___  _
__________________________________________  ____  __  ____  ___  _
__________________________________________   ___  __  ____  ___  _
____________________________________________      __  ____  ___  _

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS Volume 27, April 2022

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CONTENTS

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   DRN search

o   Contributing to DRN

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CALLS

CALL FOR JOURNAL ARTICLES: DRAWING ANTHROPOCENE

TRACEY Drawing and Visualisation Research
Guest editors - Sarah Casey & Gerry Davis
Deadline - Friday 8th July 2022

This edition proposes an examination of the relationship between drawing -
a practice of traces - and the concept of Anthropocene. This is a timely
lens through which to examine research engaging drawing in relation to
current debates on environmental crisis and invite reflection on the value
of drawing in the context of deep time. The term Anthropocene, coined at
the start of the new millennium by geochemist Paul Crutzen, denotes a new
period of geological time, reflecting the extent to which human activity is
making its mark on geologic stratigraphy. Essentially, for geologists, the
legacy of the Anthropocene will be the traces that our existence will leave
in the geologic record in times to come. We might even see this as a
collaborative durational drawing spanning the development and demise of
human existence!

While there remains debate about the precise starting point of the
Anthropocene (and it has yet to be formally acknowledged by the
International Committee on Stratigraphy), the concept is now widespread and
in common usage as a byword for human impact on the environment. This
tension provides a useful provocation, one that prompts questions about how
drawing might function in relation to climate crisis and what knowledge it
might produce. For example, drawing may examine areas of contention:
petrochemicals and carbon release, resource extraction, more than human
agency, migrations, or post-human and planetary futures.

Drawing is an activity of tracing, layering, erasure, the drawn mark often
belies the process of its making. It has been called a "trace fossil"
(Halperin, 2013). Over the course of the twentieth century tenets of
drawing - arguably the trace of an action made over a surface - have been
tested, stretched and exploded as artists embraced performance, land art,
soundscapes as forms of drawing. Drawing now has many identities, from
lines in sand, footprints in the snow, or vapor trails in the sky (Dexter,
2005: 6). Acknowledging, as many do, that environmental traces - foot
prints, tidelines - are a form of drawing, what might this offer for using
drawing as a lens through which to enter critical debates on environment?
Conversely, how might new thinking emerging from earth sciences and geo
humanities reveal new insights into what it means to make a drawing be it
conventional or expanded?

Particular areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following
questions:

- How might drawing help us position ourselves in relation to changing
ecologies?

- What contemporary or historic strategies does drawing offer for bearing
witness to environmental change?

- The Anthropocene reflects changes in global cultures. How can drawing
alert us to such changes?

- What does thinking through the lens of deep time offer for understanding
drawing and vice versa? Equally, what does this lens of time and change
offer to our speculations of futures?

- How might drawing bring us closer to activity in the deep past or
timescapes remote from our own lifetimes?

- What geopolitical questions does the concept of Anthropocene raise for
ethical practices of drawing? Of how drawing is conducted, who draws, where
and for whom?

- How might thinking through the concept of Anthropocene revitalize the
traditional field of landscape drawing?

rigorous research related to drawing or the ideas mentioned above, whatever
your field, will be warmly welcomed.

TRACEY would like to invite the following submissions in response to the
theme:

Full academic papers between 4500 -6000 words to be submitted through
TRACEY's online submission portal:
https://ojs.lboro.ac.uk/TRACEY/about/submissions

Please ensure that you use the template for your submission, which can be
downloaded from the submissions link above.

Deadline for all submissions: Friday 8th July 2022

Please include the following information for papers:

Author(s)
Institutional Affiliation (if appropriate)
50 word biography

TEACHING AND LEARNING 2022 CFP - UCL Press, Routledge

Call for Round One abstracts at the Transformative Teaching conference and
publications with Routledge, the University of Dundee, Zayed University and
Florida State University. Winter 2022.

TRANSFORMATIVE TEACHING - CONFERENCE 2022
Dates: 15-17 November 2022
Place: Virtual

Abstracts:  30 June 2022 (Round 1) Nb. 05 October 2022 (Round 2 -
abstracts)

https://amps-research.com/conference/teaching/

Routledge | Florida State University, USA | University of Dundee, UK |
Zayed University, UAE

CALL:

The past two years have forced educators globally to concentrate on the
reconfiguration of our delivery and structures. As a result, we have often
been obliged to look at academia in primarily practical ways. However, the
higher education sector has never been exclusively concerned with the
practicalities of delivery and has never existed in isolation. It brings in
students from general education. It prepares them for a world of work and
practice. In the process, it seeks to 'transform' them - opening students
to the myriad of possibilities education is expected to bring.

Considered within this context, there a multitude of issues we need to
consider. How we support entry level students? How we develop disciplinary
knowledge and expertise without operating in silos? How we foster the
critical self-reflection needed for lifelong learning? In a technologically
fluid world, how do we keep up with changing media and practice? How do
educators stay 'connected' with evolving student modes of learning and
cultural expectations?

All this is connected to the 'world outside'. The professionals we
'produce' will not only work with industry but will engage with
communities. In the best of cases, transform them. How then, do we support
the engagement and understanding of our students with the social issues and
players they will engage with once they leave? In short, how are we
contributing to the transformative experience of education?

The premise of this conference and its publications is that this is a
useful moment for reflection.  We are beginning to move beyond the pandemic
and its focus on delivery. As such, we need to highlight once again a
multifaceted consideration of what we do within the academy; how we teach;
how students learn; and how we engage beyond its walls. In exploring this
thesis, this conference welcomes papers focused on a range of related
issues: skills building, creative exploration, personal development,
critical thinking, external engagement, post education employment, and
more.

More details:
https://amps-research.com/conference/teaching/

COUNTERPARTS: EXPLORING DESIGN BEYOND THE HUMAN

Deadline Extension until April 19 2022.

The deadline for abstract submissions for our Conference "Counterparts:
Exploring Design Beyond the Human" has been extended to 19 April 2022.

We're looking forward to receiving your proposals.

For further information please consult the Open Call below.
Counterparts: Exploring Design Beyond the Human
Call for Contributions
Swiss Design Network Winter Research Summit
October 27-28, 2022
Zurich University of the Arts, Switzerland

In light of ecological crises and ongoing mass extinction through
anthropogenic impact, it has become vital to reassess design's involvement
in constructing a "one-world reality" (Law 2015) that gives precedence to a
specific notion of the human to the detriment of all that is deemed outside
it. Contemporary debates in anthropology and environmental studies that
question human exceptionalism have called for redirecting our attention to
the interdependence of living and non-living beings - including animals,
plants, materials, objects, physical forces and spirits (Puig de la Bella
Casa 2017) - to allow a "conversation across worlds" (de la Cadena & Blaser
2018). In response, design has in recent years widened its perspective
towards more-than-human ecologies and has formulated the possibility of a
post-anthropocentric design practice (Escobar 2018, Akama et al. 2020,
Wakkary 2021).

This working conference asks about the current state of aforementioned
discussion and what implications it has for design research, practice and
education. The conference aims to provide a basis for a joint exploration
of what happens when we shift away from human-centred and universalist
views of design and begin contemplating future ways of co-existing and
co-emerging with others on this planet. Which ideas, experiences, practices
and possibilities unfold in the wake of such a shift? How can design be
re-thought accordingly?

For this conference, we invite practice- and theory-based contributions
that consider, but are not limited to, the following topics:

- design for sustainment and ecological survival
- design for co-existence and co-emergence
- indigenous epistemologies and ontologies
- designing beyond species barriers
- design and new materialism
- the role of the digital within more-than-human ecologies
- ethics and practices of care in more-than-human worlds
- educating for more-than-human design

We welcome contributions by researchers in all (including early) phases of
their careers and/or works in progress.

If you are interested in participating, please submit an extended abstract
detailing context, methodology and findings (max. 500 words), and author
biography (max. 75 words) via
https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/3921/submitter by 19 April 2022. All
abstracts will be reviewed and selected through a peer review process.

This event is currently planned as an in-person event at Zurich University
of the Arts, Switzerland. Covid-19 measures may be in place in compliance
with Swiss government regulations.

DE-CONSTRUCTING & RE-USING ARCHITECTURE

By the turn of a new millennium, architecture found a new horizon in the
digital realm: parametric design, interactive design, and the blurry
definitions of virtual and physical environments. Twenty-two years later we
are running towards disaster: all the physical world upon which we built
this new architecture is running out of energy, resources, and accumulating
eternal waste. Architecture seems to have focused on buildings that are
high-energy consumers. Spaces in buildings are designed to be supplied with
artificial ventilation, heating, and lighting, thus increasing operational
energy. In the production of building materials, their transportation, and
the process of construction, there is energy embodied, which is simply lost
at the end of the building's service-life. Producing this energy comes with
an increase in carbon emissions, and their accumulation in the planet's
atmosphere has taken us into a climate crisis. Our environment is warming
up day by day, increasing the frequency of the so-called natural disasters,
such as droughts, rains, and wildfires, moreover establishing extreme
environmental conditions as the new normal in many places. As a result of
this taking-consuming-throwing approach to design, our architectural
footprint is just a huge amount of building waste.

The 3rd International Symposium on Architecture, Technology and Innovation,
ATI 2022 invites scholars, practitioners, and professionals to submit
abstracts on ideas, initiatives, designs, research studies, teaching
activities, policies, and practices, that offer a glimpse of hope in this
bleak landscape.

Deconstructing and Reusing Architecture refers to the highly required
paradigm shift, from the current manner of producing "take and throw"
architectural outputs to a circular approach, where buildings are conceived
as a source of materials and not as the end of the design process. We must
then deconstruct the ways we design and build, the way we reuse our
resources, the policies we adopt to involve all stakeholders in the
construction process, and the way we teach and guide a new generation of
architects.

Possible areas of contribution are (but not limited to):

De-constructing Practice

- Circular Economy in the Built Environment
- Design for Disassembly
- Reuse, Reduce, Repurpose and Recycle
- Smart and Bio-based Materials
- Renewable and Recycled Materials
- Circular Case Studies
- Digital Fabrication and Robotic Technologies in Design
- Modularity in Structures

De-constructing Design and Education

- Design for Flexibility
- Adaptive Architecture
- Sustainable architecture and engineering practices
- Furniture and environmental design
- Teaching deconstruction and adaptive reuse
- Learning how to design circular projects
- Designing with Waste Materials

De-constructing Policies and Theory

- Adopt policies to facilitate the role of stakeholders, including
industry, construction companies, and contractors
- Social impact of using "used" materials and not living in "new"
- Transitions for a Circular Built Environment
- Digitalization and Circularity
- Social Impacts of Circular Economy on the Built Environment
- Circular Cities and Societies

Important dates:

Call for Abstract Submission
01/03/2022

Deadline to Submit Abstracts
01/05/2022

Abstract Acceptance Notification
01/06/2022

Deadline to Submit Full Papers
01/09/2022

Full Paper Notification
01/10/2022

ATI2022 Symposium
01-02/12/2022

For further information: https://ati.yasar.edu.tr

RESEARCHER EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT SCHOLARSHIP CONFERENCE 2022
REDS 2022: How do we stop losing talent in research careers?

Abstract submission Deadline: Closing date Friday 27th May 2022

I'm delighted to launch the call for abstracts for the 2022 Researcher
Education and Development Scholarship (REDS) international conference. The
conference is online and free to attend.   The call is as follows and on
the conference website at
https://conferences.leeds.ac.uk/reds/

How do we stop losing talent in research careers?

We invite you to submit an abstract to present at the 8th Annual REDS
conference. This year we ask, 'How do we stop losing talent in research
careers?' How can the education and development of researchers support
diversity in research such that all can contribute, and all can research?

Within this theme, areas of focus we particularly welcome include:

- Widening participation in research
- Widening participation in research careers
- Decolonisation of research
- First generation researchers
- Digital poverty
- Mature researchers
- Hybrid doctoral research

We welcome presentation of:

- Research and scholarship outcomes relating to our conference themes.

- Opinion pieces relating to our theme, founded in existing research and
scholarship outputs that project future needs for the education and
development of researchers, or that identify key gaps in the current
published research in respect of the development and education of
researchers.

Abstract submission Deadline: Closing date Friday 27th May 2022

https://conferences.leeds.ac.uk/reds/

SUSTAINABILITY IN CREATIVE INDUSTRIES (SCI) CONFERENCE
From the 10th to 11th of November 2022
Submission Deadline (Abstracts): 14 May 2022

IEREK is organizing the 1st edition of the international conference on
Sustainability in Creative Industries (SCI) 2022 in collaboration with
Universitas Ciputra, which will be held as a Virtual event. In this regard,
we are thrilled to invite you to join us and submit your abstract to
discuss and share your experiences and research results with researchers
and experts from around the globe.

Conference Highlights:

- The SCI 1st Edition conference is a great opportunity to find more about
the recent studies in the field, listen to our world-renowned keynote
speakers, and share your own research and ideas and receive feedback from
the scientific committee and attending members.

- Participants are granted internationally recognized certificates of
attendance.

- The conference is a virtual event.

- Abstract (max. 300 words) submission deadline is on 14th of May 2022, for
more information, please visit Authors' instructions.

- All accepted papers of the Sustainability in Creative Industries (SCI)
after the peer-review process and selection will be either published as
chapters in the Book Series "Advances in Science, Technology and
Innovation" (ASTI) by Springer, Scopus indexed, or in The International
Journal of Academic Research Community Publication (ARChive) online by
IEREK Press.

- For more information, please feel free to contact [log in to unmask]

https://www.ierek.com/events/sustainability-in-creative-industry#
introduction

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ANNOUNCEMENTS

NEW ISSUE OF SHE JI NOW ONLINE

The latest issue of She Ji has just been published. As a fully peer
reviewed open access journal, we make all issues available free on our web
site. You can download the current issue here. You can use the button at
the left of the page to download the full issue or you can use the Table of
Contents to download single articles:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-
economics-and-innovation/vol/8/issue/1

Here are the contents of this issue:

Editorial
by Ken Friedman

Harmony in Design: A Synthesis of Literature from Classical Philosophy, the
Sciences, Economics, and Design
by J. Derek Lomas and Haian Xue

Design Discourses of Transformation
by Sharon Prendeville and Mikko Koria

Chill, Fiery, Slack, and Five Other Vibes: A Phenomenological Inquiry into
Group Mood
by Alev Soenmez, Pieter M.A. Desmet, and Natalia Romero Herrera

The Eye Inward and the Eye Outward: Introducing a Framework for
Mood-Sensitive Service Encounters
by Pelin Esnaf Uslu, Pieter M.A. Desmet, and Hendrik N.J. Schifferstein

Down the Brain Drain: Searching for Doctorateness in all the Wrong Places
by Luke Feast

Review of The Legal Design Book: Doing Law in the 21st Century, by Astrid
Kohlmeier and Meera Klemola
by David Durling

You can download individual articles or the entire issue at URL

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-
economics-and-innovation/vol/8/issue/1

THE COVERT LIFE OF HOSPITAL ARCHITECTURE

UCL Press is delighted to announce the publication of a new open access
book that may be of interest to list subscribers: The Covert Life of
Hospital Architecture, by Julie Zook and Kerstin Sailer.

The Covert Life of Hospital Architecture
By Julie Zook and Kerstin Sailer.

The Covert Life of Hospital Architecture addresses hospital architecture as
a set of interlocked, overlapping spatial and social conditions. It
identifies ways that planned-for and latent functions of hospital spaces
work jointly to produce desired outcomes such as greater patient safety,
increased scope for care provider communication and more intelligible
corridors.

By advancing space syntax theory and methods, the volume brings together
emerging research on hospital environments. Opening with a description of
hospital architecture that emphasizes everyday relations, the sequence of
chapters takes an unusually comprehensive view that pairs spaces and
occupants in hospitals: the patient room and its intervisibility with
adjacent spaces, care teams and on-ward support for their work and the
intelligibility of public circulation spaces for visitors. The final
chapter moves outside the hospital to describe the current healthcare
crisis of the global pandemic as it reveals how healthcare institutions
must evolve to be adaptable in entirely new ways. Reflective essays by
practicing designers follow each chapter, bringing perspectives from
professional practice into the discussion.

The Covert Life of Hospital Architecture makes the case that latent
dimensions of space as experienced have a surprisingly strong link to
measurable outcomes, providing new insights into how to better design
hospitals through principles that have been tested empirically. It will
become a reference for healthcare planners, designers, architects and
administrators, as well as for readers from sociology, psychology and other
areas of the social sciences.

Free download: https://bit.ly/3uydx6r

SHAPING LEARNING FUTURES WITH LIFELONG LEARNING

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/shaping-learning-futures-lifelong-patrick-
blessinger/

RESEARCH FOR DESIGNERS

SAGE Publishing has just released the new second edition of Research for
Designers by Gjoko Muratovski.

Since 2016, Research for Designers has become the world's most widely used
textbook in design research. It is also extensively in professional design
firms, in business firms, and industrial organisations. Significantly
expanded since the first edition, this edition contains a preface written
with Don Norman, an afterword by Steven Heller, and a preface by Ken
Friedman.

You can download a free 27-page .pdf with the contents, preface, foreword,
and afterword at this URL:

https://www.academia.edu/72480493/Research_for_Designers_2nd_Ed_Prelims

ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART

RCA is named Leading University for Art & Design Globally
for 8th Consecutive Year

I am delighted to share that the Royal College of Art has been ranked the
number 1 university for art & design internationally for the 8th
consecutive year according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject
2022 - the largest world-wide survey of academic and industry opinion.

The latest results demonstrate the College's reputation by, again, scoring
100% for academic reputation, and 96.1% for employer reputation. This is an
incredible testament to the talent of our staff, students and alumni and
the transformational impact that a creative education from the Royal
College presents globally. You can read the full story via RCA news online.

https://www.studyin-uk.com/news/royal-college-art-named-best-world-art-and
-design/

Berg Fashion Library and Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases - new content &
user case study

Bloomsbury Digital Resources is pleased to announce that our fashion
resources Berg Fashion Library and Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases have
recently been updated with new eBooks and online-exclusive articles, and a
case study from one of our faculty users. We hope that these updates could
be useful and of interest to members of GLAD-NET.

Berg Fashion Library

From the segregation of plus-sized bodies in Fat Fashion to the use of
virtual fashion design avatars in The Future Figured, the new content
update to Berg Fashion Library includes 11 eBooks and 6 online-exclusive
articles, providing thought-provoking coverage of current debates, fashion
history and the interplay between dress and cultural
identity.\0x2028\0x2028A complete title list is available here.

We've selected some highlights from the recent update and they are
currently free for you to preview below:

eBooks

- Fat Fashion: The Thin Ideal and the Segregation of Plus-Size Bodies
- Images on the Page: A Fashion Iconography
- Fashioning Spain: From Mantillas to Rosalia
- Fashioning the Modern Middle East: Gender, Body, and Nation
- Fashion, Dress and Post-postmodernism

Online-exclusive articles in the Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and
Fashion:

- What is Libertine Fashion?
- The Future Figured: The Avatar in Virtual Fashion Design
- Modern Day Slavery in the Garment Industry

Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases

Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases brings fashion business to life and
creates a link between education and industry for students. It presents
real-world cases on the challenges facing the business of fashion globally,
tackling important issues such as sustainability, technology, ethics, and
leadership.

We're delighted to share a new case study from a faculty user of the
Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases, explaining how it supported and enhanced
her teaching.

Hanna Akalu, SOAS, University of London (Formerly London College of
Fashion, University of the Arts London) shares her experience:

"My students found the activities highly engaging as well as challenging at
times, and these would often generate interesting and lively discussions
and debates in the classroom. The case studies have been incredibly useful
for students to enhance their critical, analytical and problem-solving
skills, as well as to encourage their creativity and their skills in
thinking outside the box.

Particular favourite features of mine are the ease of use and range of case
studies available (...) and detailed suggestions within each case study for
potential classroom-based activities depending on your preference (...) I
was able to tailor the case studies according to my students' needs.

Overall, using the case studies has been a brilliant experience, as it
enhanced my knowledge and complemented my teaching style, (...) by
encouraging myself and my students to be self-reflective, socially
responsible, actively participate and critique knowledge, and develop a
conscious voice."

30-day institutional trials for both of the collections above are available
for free on request via the Bloomsbury Fashion Central website

(https://www.bloomsburyfashioncentral.com/subscriber-services) or you can
email ([log in to unmask]), if you have any questions or would be
interested in taking a closer look at the full sites.

https://www.bloomsburyfashioncentral.com

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SEARCHING DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS

Searching back issues of DRN is best done through the customisable JISC
search engine at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-research

Look under 'Search Archives'

CONTRIBUTIONS

Design Research News communicates news about design research globally.  It
is emailed to subscribers approximately monthly and is free of charge.  You
may subscribe or unsubscribe at the following site:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research.html

Information to the editor,  <[log in to unmask]>

PLEASE NOTE: contributions should be sent as plain text in the body of an
email. Do not send attachments. Do not copy and paste from Word documents.