Re: Lecturer in English Language

Dave Sayers <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Dec 2021 13:00:22 +0200

text/plain

Hmm, an understandable defence after my curmudgeonly swipes. I'll take these points
in turn, but before I do, let's take a moment to appreciate the nature of this reply
to my email. No willingness to engage in any of these concerns, only to defend the
institution. That is quite telling. Ok, to take the points in turn...

1) You suggest I'm missing the point because your staff have different nationalities.
That's a nice try but it's really a distraction from my point, which was the wording
"native or near-native", which creates unneccesary insecurities in potential
candidates and invites discrimination (not by you, but quite possibly from others in
the interviewing process, and anyway more broadly in the sector). If you actually
meant "The person appointed has to be able to express themself with a high degree of
accuracy in both speech and writing", why not simply say that? Again, over on the
BAAL list they have a rule against your wording, precisely for this reason.

2) I'm genuinely struggling to believe you have hired people into *full-time
permanent* positions who have not yet completed their viva. More likely into fixed
term posts and then later permanent posts. If you actually have done that, great! I'd
love to hear more about that. I guess it's confidential so we'll never quite hear the
answer to that. About the numbers of applicants, I recently heard from someone
fielding applications for a very similar post at a less prestigious UK university,
which received over 100 applications. I sympathise with the job ahead of you.

3) "we are emphatically not asking candidates to have existing experience with the
range of tasks you list". Oh dear, now things get really sticky. The person spec for
the post does indeed explicitly mention every one of these. Slightly tiresome to
quote them all but you threw down the gauntlet so here goes:

"Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience > Applicants are expected to:

- Have a developing profile of research excellence, evidenced by a record of
high-quality peer-reviewed research publications..." [this is top-tier research]

- Have a record of actively seeking to obtain external research funding or a clearly
articulated plan to apply for external research funding in the next two years [hmm ok
maybe not gaining funding, but obviously that would help]

- Have some experience of delivering high-quality research-led teaching ... using
innovative teaching methods and learning technologies [innovative teaching]

- Have experience in or a clearly articulated commitment to providing effective
support to students [pastoral support]

And then the other criteria in the person spec relate to my final point "admin
duties, etc. etc". So to claim you are "emphatically not asking candidates to have
existing experience with the range of tasks you list" is, to put it charitably, a
little misleading. To put it less charitably, please, if you're going to accuse me of
not reading something, maybe read it yourself? Pity this listserv doesn't support the
eyeroll emoji.

Lastly, I'm glad you personally don't work an 80-hour week; really, that's to be
celebrated. I honestly hope you encourage colleagues to keep a good work-life
balance. I genuinely struggle to imagine how they would, given all these tasks,
especially for a new hire, but if you are here and now committing to ensuring that
all your staff never feel the need to work beyond normal healthy working hours, that
is only to be celebrated. However, it's a tiny bit ironic that you should be implying
that is the case on the very day that a strike begins over precisely these issues of
working conditions, at 54 UK universities, including Manchester.

But.... I really tried to emphasise that I wasn't jabbing at this specific job ad or
university or department, that my irritation was more general. That is really the
point I'm trying to make here, that job ads and person specs can be better.

Lastly, in my previous email I welcomed private responses in confidence, and I have
heard from some early career folk, potential candidates perhaps, who thanked me
sincerely for voicing concerns and frustrations which they had, but which they felt
too structurally intimidated to voice, even among friends. So, again, if we could
only be a bit less defensive and a bit more considerate about the way we treat early
career people - in hiring and when they are employed - surely that would make for a
more productive and peaceful work environment.

Dave