Contractual Networking

Cedric Westphal <[log in to unmask]>

Semantic Address Routing and Hardware - SARAH <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:11:24 +0000

text/plain

Hi,

The following IETF 112 public side meeting seems to be of interest to this community!

C.
---------------
IETF 112 - Contractual Networking
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
18:00 UTC
10:00 Pacific
13:00 Eastern

Meeting Description
This session offers discussion about how to enforce agreements at the network layer between different parties in a communication. We could use in-band or out-of-band solutions, solutions at layer 3, 3.5, or layer 4. We would like to discuss the potential mechanism to provide/negotiate a contract. Should these be introduced as data within Internet packets to provide the contractual context to the flow, or should this be kept in the control plane? How should we ensure that the agreement is complied with? Is IP with some label option enough? Should IP be evolved? Alternatively, should compliance mechanisms reside in the control plane, or in virtual network/network slices?

Agenda
1.	Moderator's Introduction
Charlie Perkins, Blue Meadow Consulting
5 minutes
2.	Mechanisms to support flow-level agreements
Ken Calvert, University of  Kentucky
This talk will give an overview of some mechanisms that came out of research on active networking and future internet architectures, which could be relevant to "contractual networking".
Both in-band and control plane approaches have been considered and will be discussed.
15 minutes
3.	Network contracts: Lessons from network verification
Ratul Mahajan, CEO Intentionet & University of Washington
Network verification aims to provide mathematical guarantees about network behavior, including how it will (or not) carry different types of traffic. This technology has come of age in the last decade and is now employed by many real-world networks. In this talk, I will share lessons from the network verification domain as they apply to specification and enforcement of network contracts.
A general framework for compositional network modeling
A general approach to network configuration analysis
15 minutes
4.	Extensible In band Processing (EIP)
Stefano Salsano, Univ Rome "Tor Vergata"
The talk will discuss how to carry information in the data packets (i.e. in- band) to support advanced services in IPv6 nodes. It will focus on the "contract enforcement" in the data plane.
15 minutes
5.	Open Discussion
15 minutes or time remaining
Webex: https://fipe-580.my.webex.com/fipe-580.my/j.php?MTID=m3c6e67aaed5c255332cf248a313c3325