Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Thanks for depressing us all!

Dirk Trossen <[log in to unmask]>

Semantic Address Routing and Hardware - SARAH <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:57:57 +0000

text/plain

Hi Geoff,

Great talk, gloomy as expected but good for triggering discussions!

Please see comments on the last paragraph below.

Best,

Dirk

[SNIP]

But the abundance is so great and the level of centrality so overarching that none of these actors have the slightest incentive to share any more. So they separately design, construct and operate their own infrastructure - no sharing.

That’s way I feel it is just too late to bend this around now.

[DOT] I think your observations on scarcity are correct but incentives are something regulation can impact together with economics; the EC's initiative on decentralized systems (https://ec.europa.eu/cefdigital/wiki/display/CEFDIGITAL/ebsi) could be one such trigger.

[DOT] while this group is less involved in such regulatory discussions, the technical side of decentralization is something that we can contribute to. Unlike CloudFlare's approach to centralizing all named services onto even a single IP address (i.e. DC), name-based routing approaches that remove the reliance on the DNS (which today is funneled through Google in many cases - all for the sake of 'privacy'; why again should I hand even my DNS data to Google?) and allow for decentralized service hosting (why can't I do my own webdav storage at home; needing to maintain an awful pinholing into my own home network instead of just using my own URL) may be a contribution to that decentralization toolbox, while catering to the changed dynamics of the compute/storage resource availability.

[DOT] Also another question is that of use cases that may rely on decentralization. DLT comes to mind with applications in finance, eID, and distributed storage. Network innovations needed here? An upcoming IIC whitepaper on "impact of DLTs on provider networks" is planned for release in December and will show some impact the current overlay routing in DLTs has on the networks but also the DLT performance itself.

[DOT] so it may be doom right now but markets have been evolving towards but also away from monopolies in the past, so I don't see the end game here.

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=SARAH&A=1

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=SARAH&A=1