SARAH  November 2021

SARAH November 2021

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

the end of the Internet according to Geoff

Michael Richardson <[log in to unmask]>

Semantic Address Routing and Hardware - SARAH <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:45:50 -0500

(Interacting with the LISTSERV@JISCMAIL has taken me back to 1986, but
somehow without the UUCP bangpaths...)

I have been thinking a lot about Geoff's presentation
   _Centralization of service provisioning and the impact on routing_
(I wonder if he'll be repeating it at RIPE83 this week)
I also happened to pick up Carl Malamud's 1991 _Exploring the Internet_ based
upon some comments in [log in to unmask]  I never saw the book at the time it came out.

It includes lots of interesting details and interviews with people.
I never knew Christian Huitema was an X.400 expert, for instance.
But, in particular, I didn't know, from my vantage point at lsuc!ncraer!fts1!latour!mcr
that UUCP was so well used over X.25 networks at the time.
There is a connection here to Geoff's end of the end-to-end Internet, but I
haven't quite figured out what it is yet.

Geoff's observations are that the CDNs have risen and that we really don't
need end to end connectivity: just connectivity to the nearby CDNs.
We don't need globally unique addresses, just locators that are unique to our
local CDN.  One imagines some other Internet evolution which assumed CDNs,
and instead of doing CIDR and carving up the class As, if we had instead
declared 0.0.0.0/1 as being RFC1918-like, and repeated it within each CDN "district".
Class B space would have been for (some) Enterprises and Governments to use
to talk to each other, and I think class C space would be used by the CDNs to
number themselves, essentially in an anycast like way.
Would IPv6 even be needed?

I have been thinking about what's stopping us from going there now.
I wonder, if one removes video stream, of the remaining traffic, what has
still been growing, and what is dying?  Imagine if we didn't have eyeballs
capable of watching video, would the other services of the Internet pay for
the numbering, naming, etc. infrastructure?

What are the things that make end-to-end worthwhile keeping?

So my proposal is to have some kind of workshop, beer-bof in biergarten, or
maybe online, where we attempt to design and debug the GH-CDN internet.
(Maybe Geoff would like to give this new architecture a name that does not
involve his name...)

Let's conjecture that the model that he presented is a good model and
something that we *want*.  Suspend your distaste and think like the "enemy"

First, what should it look like?

Second, how do we get there?  What are the hurdles to getting to an all CDN
situation?  Who wins?  Who loses?  What savings do we see?
What new costs are there?

I think that there will be many surprises.
End-to-end things we didn't know were critical, and that we'd have to figure
out a way to do differently.

]     [log in to unmask]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [