NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  November 2021

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING November 2021

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Book Publication / Virtual Re-embodiments

Sarah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:15:43 +0000

text/plain

Dear Johannes et al

first Happy Birthday!
I've been having some thoughts on your post last week, and it seems to
me that you are more concerned with choreography and dance than the way
the VR kit works, you say that it is a physical matter whereas what I am
looking at is a mental matter. Maybe you 'stretch' the use of the kit
through dance and are unconcerned about the mental space that is implied
with the use of VR.
The VR kit 'sees' you as a data object, and if there is a representation
of you then you perceive yourself as a data object. It maps you into the
space, by all accounts very effectively.

best regards
Sarah Thompson Bell

On 2021-11-25 22:59, Johannes Birringer wrote:
> Dear all
>
> realizing that there is a main thread on ‘practical’ methods found to
> be ‘successful’ in creating socially-engaged projects (on & offline)
> where ‘participation’ occurred in its highest form" (curated by
> Janine), I hope that our second on-going thread is interesting enough
> for all here to continue...
> and naturally I see it partly also connected to the participation
> topic./
>
> I also just returned from a workshop we did in Berlin for the Body IQ
> Festival, continuing our somatic and somatechnical exploration of
> working with VR, and it of course involved curating a group workshop,
> so I feel that this thread is significant (and 'blended' of course as
> well, as the Berlin festival was using real and telematic spaces)
>
> My main concern is reflecting on the responses I got from Sarah and
> Karen Ann -- and I am not sure how to say this without perhaps
> sounding ignorant (not yet having had time to read Sarah's book: 'The
> Art Object As Data' ). I do not know OOO or objects relation theory,
> but in your book description I read that the author  "captures a
> significant moment in cultural terms.
....Chapters cover topics such