Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Save the Date: January Webinar

Niamh Mullen <[log in to unmask]>

Developing, Teaching and Testing Academic Listeners BALEAP SIG

Thu, 17 Dec 2020 08:23:53 +0000

text/plain

The next webinar run by the SIG Developing, Teaching and Testing Academic Listeners will take place on Friday 29th January 2021, from 16:00 to 17:00 (UK time). In this webinar, Jayn Kilbon from The University of Leicester will discuss her research on L2 students’ opinions about issues which affect their understanding of academic lectures. Jayn says:

“In this talk, I will outline some of the main results from a longitudinal PhD study into L2 students’ lecture comprehension. The data was obtained via a series of semi-structured interviews conducted over a nine-month period and identifies both problems with aural processing, and also other cognitive challenges faced by students preparing for and within lectures. There will also be time to discuss how EAP courses can help students develop real-world lecture comprehension skills, rather than just focusing on academic listening.”

A registration form for the webinar will be made available early in January after the Christmas break.

In the meantime, we would like to thank everybody who has taken part in the webinars and the praxis workshop run by the SIG in 2020. It has been lovely to be able to share knowledge and practice with so many colleagues across the UK and around the world.

We wish you all a restful and food-filled Christmas break and look forward to seeing you in January for our first event of 2021.

The Organising Committee
SIG Developing, Teaching and Testing Academic Listeners