ASIAINTHENORTH  August 2020

ASIAINTHENORTH August 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

CCVA Extended Covid-19 Seminar Series : Shu Kewen A

"Centre for Chinese Visual Arts (CCVA) @ BCU" <[log in to unmask]>

Centre for Chinese Visual Arts (CCVA) @ BCU

Thu, 13 Aug 2020 09:29:57 +0100

text/plain

Dear all,
I am delighted to announce that the first instalment of our extended covid-19 seminar series will take place this Saturday at 10am UK time 5pm China Time. Our invited speaker is art critic Shu Kewen, Please see below for her biography and further information about our seminar series.
Best wishes,
Lauren.

舒可文,艺术评论家,中国画院当代艺术档案库委员。曾任三联生活周刊副主编,著有《相信艺术还是相信艺术家》、《城里——关于城市梦想的叙述》等。以评论和策展当代艺术作为侧面观察当代文化的方式,以此建立一个经验化的观念视域。策划编辑“经验史”系书。

Shu Kewen is an art critic and committee member of the China Painting Academy Contemporary Art Archive. She used to be the Deputy Editor of Lifeweek. She is author of a number of books including To Follow Art or Artists and In the City: On Narrating Urban Dreams. She critiques and curates contemporary art as a means to interrogate contemporary culture as a whole and establish both an empirical and conceptual framework of analysis. She is currently editing the book series Anamnesis.

THE WORLD, TWO METERS AWAY: EXTENDED CCVA COVID-19 SEMINAR SERIES

Our planned series of 7 seminars finished in late July. Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, the Centre for Chinese Visual Arts at Birmingham City University will release 5 new seminars involving Art and Literary Criticism, Design, Architecture and Music to further enhance the research context.

At the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020, when the coronavirus first emerged, Wuhan in China became the first city in the world affected by this deadly disease. It then rapidly spread to the entire country, and further on to Europe, America and the rest of the world. Restrictions on travel, instructions of keeping social distance, and finally the lockdown of districts, towns and cities were enforced to help slow down its transmission. During these current strange times, we witness the emptiness of streets, squares and cities everywhere; we experience a spatialised daily life through social distancing measures; we suffer but benefit from the distance and because of it, we estrange from and yet ‘connect’ with each other.

This seminar series provides an immediate and unique platform to develop discussions with leading scholars and professionals during the Covid-19 lockdown period and to obtain first-hand materials of participants’ perceptions and reflections on the pandemic. It aims to explore, collate and critically assess the everyday experiences from cultural, political and artistic perspectives, and to foster new understandings of this present-day crisis, including, for example, threat of the invisible, the notions of distance and spatialisation, separation and isolation, communication and mobility, discipline and surveillance, and community and collectiveness, as well as the increase of the conflicts and divisive voices between China and the world. At the same time, it will also give us opportunities to re-examine our past ‘normality’, and to project our future – visions for the post-Covid world.

The BiliBili stream will be on Saturdays 10am UK time and 5pm Chinese time every Saturday from the 15th August.  The talks will be in Mandarin Chinese only.

You can access the meetings via the following link: http://live.bilibili.com/22288382

Please see the below for our schedule and list of guest speakers:

15th August 10am UK/5pm China
Shu Kewen
Art Critic and Writer

22nd August 10am UK/5pm China
Jiang Jun
Researcher in Architecture, Urban Scholar and Document Editor

29th August 10am UK/5pm China
Wang Shouzhi
Theorist and Expert in Design and Design History, Deputy Dean of the School of Creativity and Art, Shanghai Tech University

5th September 10am UK/5pm China
Chen Danqing
Painter, Art Critic and Writer

12th September 10am UK/5pm China
Zhu Zheqin
Musician, Sound Artist

Chaired by Professor Jiang Jiehong
Head of Research, Birmingham School of Art
Founding Director of Centre for Chinese Visual Arts at Birmingham City University

Partner institution:Academy of International Visual Arts, Shanghai

两米外的世界|CCVA新冠疫期特别研讨系列更新预告

自2020年6月启动的“两米外的世界:CCVA新冠疫期特别研讨系列”到7月下旬已经展开了七期,每周一次。但全球范围内的新冠危机仍未结束,许多国家与地区仍深受疫情困扰。与此同时,这场全球性的公共卫生危机也触发了诸多结构性问题,我们看到了在疫情背景下爆发的关于虚假信息、民主、种族乃至全球化的分歧与冲突。

鉴于此次系列研讨的主题背景仍在不断地变化发展,“两米外的世界”系列新近又邀请了五位分别来自文学、文艺评论、设计、建筑、音乐各学科领域的专家,进一步对我们眼下的日常,以及它的过去和未来,作出反思。

“两米外的世界”第八期将从2020年8月15日(星期六)开始,五位新嘉宾将分别加入每周一次的系列线上研讨。录制的视频影像也将在编辑后配以字幕呈现于广大互联网观众。

2019年的岁末年初,新型冠状病毒来袭,武汉成为了世界上第一个承受了这种疫病之灾的城市。病毒很快也影响了整个中国,又在随后的几个月里,迅速侵袭了欧洲、美国及世界的其他国家和地区。旅行限制、保持社交距离的指令,以及最终对省市的封锁试图强制阻断疾病的传播。而至今,病毒依旧横行于世。我们正面临着一场前所未有的挑战。

鉴于新型冠状病毒在全球范围内所造成的可见与不可见、暂时和长远的影响,此次研究计划携手诸位艺术和文化界的专家学者,为疫期的视觉经验、文化思考以及一手信息资料的收集搭建了一个及时有效的平台。从文化和艺术的角度,适时地挖掘和整理,并批评性地分析疫情为我们带来的日常经验。本项目以对谈的形式,深入探究这个特殊时期所引发的众多相关问题,比如间距与空间化、封闭与隔离、交流与迁移、训诫与监控、社区与集体等概念的多重演绎;与此同时,也让我们可以重新思考我们司空见惯的“日常”,并想像后疫情时代的世界。

时间表及嘉宾名单

2020年8月15日北京时间17点(英国时间10点)
舒可文
文艺评论家,作家