SCAPP  June 2020

SCAPP June 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Scottish Universities of Sanctuary - update 2020

Muriel Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Muriel Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Jun 2020 09:59:30 +0100

text/plain

Please find below update and information from Scottish Universities of Sanctuary about a number of events and including a job opportunity.

Dear colleagues and friends across Scotland

I hope this message finds you and your communities safe and well.

Please have a look at the events and updates below that I hope you will find relevant, and do get in touch if you would like me to publicise any events and information - or just to have a conversation.

Call-out to Widening Access and Participation colleagues across Scotland!

Event: Exploring Refugees' and Asylum Seekers' Access to Higher Education (for Widening Access and Participation professionals in Scotland)

Tuesday 7th July 2020 11am - 12 pm, on Teams

This is an event for colleagues working in Widening Access and Participation in Scotland only - please do spread the word to colleagues and contacts in relevant posts in your institutions and elsewhere.

SCAPP (Scotland's Community of Access and Participation Practitioners) and Universities of Sanctuary would like to start a conversation amongst widening access and participation colleagues across Scotland who have an interest in refugees' and asylum seekers' access to Higher Education. If you already work with refugees and asylum seekers, or if you would like to explore what initiatives exist in this area, please join us for this initial meeting.

I am particularly pleased to be working with Muriel Alexander, the Development Coordinator for SCAPP, which is a cross-sectoral professional practitioners network supporting colleagues in Scotland engaged in widening access and participation activity, evaluation and research.

The involvement of widening access and participation colleagues is key to making universities more accessible to refugees and asylum seekers. We would therefore like to understand the challenges faced in supporting refugees and asylum seekers in HE, identify areas of existing good practice, as well as identify questions and areas for development, with a view to organising a webinar later on this summer.

Please click on the Eventbrite link (MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exploring-refugees-and-asylum-seekers-access-to-higher-education-tickets-109167320394) to register for this initial informal discussion to meet colleagues from other universities in Scotland to get the conversation started. Registrations open until Tuesday 30th June at 5pm.

This information will also be uploaded on fairaccess.scot website under Connect - Webinars and Events.

Job opportunity: STAR is recruiting a new Access to University Coordinator

Please share this job opportunity (carried out until recently by Christopher Smart) with anyone you think might be interested.
Access to University Coordinator

Hours: 3 days per week
Salary: £16,200 (£27,000 full-time equivalent) + up to 7% contributory pension.
Contract: 1 year initial contract
Deadline for applications: 10am Monday 6th July
Interviews will be held online on 16th July

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “Higher Education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit”. In this exciting role you will help make this a reality for people forced to flee war and persecution. We're recruiting an Access to University Coordinator who'll lead our successful work ensuring that people seeking asylum and refugees have equal access to higher education. If you've got experience of working with or in HE, making change happen and are brilliant at building partnerships then this could be the perfect role for you.

STAR has been campaigning for equal access to university for the past 10 years and is part of a successful and growing movement of organisations and activists. Thanks to this work there are now 75 universities offering scholarships and the guidance and support available for people seeking asylum and refugees has been hugely improved. In this role you will lead on STAR’s exciting access to university work including:

1. Working with Higher Education Institutions to support them to develop scholarships and access programmes
2. Empowering and supporting lived experience activists, students and staff to campaign for scholarships and raise awareness of the issue.
3. Raising awareness and advertising scholarship places and access programmes to potential applicants through outreach work
4. Working with NGOs and partners to deliver policy change on access to HE for refugees and asylum seekers in the UK and to promote the UK work internationally

To apply please go to
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be http://www.star-network.org.uk/index.php/about/job_opportunities or
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be https://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/star-student-action-for-refugees-/access-to-university-coordinator/701679

Sanctuary@UniSouthampton Public Roundtable and Q&A
Thursday June 18 2020, 5pm

Have a look at this online event by the Sanctuary group at the University of Southampton:

This virtual roundtable launches a crucial conversation about the need for Universities of Sanctuary, with a focus on the University of Southampton. With forced migration at a global high according to the UN Refugee Agency, providing sanctuary for people fleeing violence and persecution remains vital. Universities of Sanctuary promote cultures and practices of welcome, raise awareness of asylum and refugee issues, and offer resources and support to people seeking sanctuary.

In this roundtable, speakers with academic, NGO, government and student backgrounds and lived experience of seeking sanctuary will discuss the UK Sanctuary movement, the importance of being a University of Sanctuary, and that needs to happen to realise this vision for Southampton. Speakers are Nicola Walters, City of Sanctuary UK; Tony Kushner, University of Southampton; Maariyah Ahmed, Student Action for Refugees Southampton; Mike Brown, CLEAR Project; Esther Adeleke, Winchester Sanctuary Award recipient; and Steve Leggett, Councillor for Freemantle, with closing remarks by Terri Sandison MBE, University of Winchester.

The chair is Tess Altman, University of Southampton. A chaired audience Q&A session will follow the roundtable.
Register at the following link  https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIuc-yuqj8rHNAxBEmUYDtO-P8sV5hEy_65

4th Annual UNESCO RILA lecture for World Refugee Day, Prof Alison Phipps

A highly recommended online lecture by Prof Alison Phipps, UNESCO RILA Chair of Refugee Integration through Literature and the Arts, organised by Scottish Refugee Council and the University of Glasgow.

Prof Alison Phipps' 4th Annual UNESCO RILA lecture for World Refugee Day will take place on Thursday the18th of June at 11am on Zoom.

Attendance free but registration required: MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/prof-alison-phipps-4th-annual-unesco-rila-lecture-for-world-refugee-day-registration-108680975724

Request for Information: support for Sanctuary STudents during COVID-19

Please see an information request by our Universities of Sanctuary intern, Natalie Cleverly:

Universities of Sanctuary is currently carrying out research for a report focusing on the support offered by the higher education sector for students from a sanctuary seeking background during the Covid-19 crisis. This relates to all students and is not exclusive to those receiving a sanctuary scholarship. This report will highlight areas where students from a sanctuary seeking background are not being adequately supported, best practice responses and advice moving forward in light of future uncertainty.

Many universities have had to make quick decisions in a move to online teaching, therefore, a lack of comprehensive planning may fail to support all students. Issues include: accommodation, IT and Wifi provisions, hardship funding, mental health support and adaptions of “in kind” support for students (e.g. vouchers). If anybody has had any experiences or insights into positive/ negative responses of the university sector, we would be grateful to hear from you. You can contact me directly at MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be [log in to unmask] .

University of Glasgow reaffirms 15 by 30 pledge in support of refugees' access to Higher Education

Please see tweet and video below by Rachel Sandison, Vice Principal of External Relations and Refugee and Asylum Seeker Champion at the University of Glasgow, re-affirming their commitment to the UNHCR Global Compact on Refugees to work towards a goal where 15% of the world’s refugees have access to higher education by 2030. This figure currently stands at 3%.

This #RefugeeWeek I’m delighted to share
@UofGlasgow’s commitment to #HE access for Refugees through the 15 by 30 pledge. However, we can and must do more, and as Glasgow’s Refugee & Asylum Seeker Champion, I promise to work with our communities to continue to make a difference.

STAR and Universities of Sanctuary led on the initiative encouraging Universities in the UK to sign this UNHCR pledge in 2019 - we hope many other UK Universities wil also make public statements affirming their commitment.
here is the video link https://twitter.com/UofGlasgow/status/1272439198075650049

Refugee Week at the University of Edinburgh

Have a look at the now updated Refugee Week 2020 page at the University of Edinburgh website here: MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "data.cityofsanctuary.org" claiming to be https://global.ed.ac.uk/refugee-week-festival-events, including the following Q&A session this Thursday:

Syrian Teenager Tutoring and Educational Programme (STEPPS) Q&A Session
18 June, 2.30-3pm
The organisers of the STEPPS will be holding a Q&A session about the programme. You can watch a previous interview about the programme where Esti Zaid (student cofounder) interviews teenagers and tutors as well as co-founders Dr Amer Masri and Associate Chaplain Ali Newell in our recent feature.
STEPPS (Syrian Teenager Tutoring and Educational Programmes) runs every Friday in the Edinburgh University Chaplaincy from 3-5 pm during term time, where Syrian teenagers are tutored in many different subjects by EU students.

Zoom Link
Meeting ID: 837 7082 5244
Password: 5g8iAZ

I hope the above information was useful to you - please do get in touch with any questions, or any ideas of what I can share in the next update.

Best wishes and hope to see you all soon in healthier times,
Gün Orgun
Scotland Coordinator, City of Sanctuary
mobile: 07732372569
(please note I work part time, on Mondays and Tuesdays)