Re: Hydrogens in PDB File

Dale Tronrud <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 2020 00:26:29 -0800

Dear Ethan,

   To move away from an abstract discussion of hydrogen atoms I'd like
to describe a concrete example.  In 2008 I deposited a model of the FMO
(Bacteriochlorophyll containing) protein.  The ID code is 3EOJ.  The
model was refined to a data set cut off at 1.3 A resolution using the
criteria of the day.  I used shelxl for the final stage of refinement
and added riding hydrogen atoms to the mix.  When I deposited the model
I succumb to peer pressure and removed the hydrogen atoms.

   If you look at the map calculate by the Electron Density Server you
will see many peaks in the Fo-Fc map indicating the missing hydrogen
atoms.  (I have attached a screen-shot from Coot but I recommend that
you fire up Coot and explore the map yourself.)  In my picture you can
see the three peaks around a methyl group.  Above and to the left is the
peak for the hydrogen of a CH bridging atom in the Bacteriochlorophyll-a
ring.  To the right and in the distance is a peak for the hydrogen of a
CH2 group.  Not every hydrogen is represented by a positive peak, but
they exist throughout the map.  This Fo-Fc map is useless for the
purpose of assessing the quality of my model, since the true residuals
are hidden among all these hydrogen peaks.

   A critic might say that these peaks are simply the result of the
model being biased toward the presence of hydrogen atoms and therefore
an artifact.  A model refined to this data set w/o hydrogen atoms would
not likely show peaks indicating that hydrogen atoms need to be built.

   I would say that the map calculated from a Hydrogen-free model is the
biased one.  I am 99% confident in the location of most of the riding
hydrogen atoms and leaving them out results in a model that is
fantastically unlikely.  The absence of peaks in an apo map is a flaw in
that map.  I would describe it as "vacuum bias".  "Biasing" a model
toward reality is not a problem.

   This example shows that the current PDB is incompatible with models
whose Hydrogen atoms have been stripped.  To get proper maps and
validation reports one has to either preserve the Hydrogen atoms in the
model, or modify all the software that uses coordinate files to add the
hydrogen atoms back in.  That is a major programming task, which the
authors have, apparently, been unwilling to do.

   I will go further and disagree with you that even this is a solution.
 It is very difficult to add the Hydrogen atoms back into 3EOJ, and I
expect this difficulty is the reason software has not been written that
successfully does it.

   There are two major problems to be overcome in 3EOJ.  shelxl has an
option to twirl the methyl groups and select the torsion angle with the
best fit to the map.  The hydrogen atoms in the pictured methyl group
weren't built as staggered -- All values for the torsion angle were
tested and it happens that the best fit placed them in a staggered
conformation.  That is a much more interesting result.  There are other
methyl groups around the edges of the Bchl-a molecules that are crowded
and the methyl groups are observed to have torsion angles that are not
standard for riding Hydrogen atoms.  The neighboring methyl groups avoid
H-H bumps by twisting and that twist can be detected by shelxl in the
1.3 A data.

   The second problem is the matter of Histidine residues.  There are
two Nitrogen atoms in the side chain.  A hydrogen atom could be on
either one, and sometimes both have hydrogens.  A very clever program
could work out from the hydrogen bonding pattern the most likely
placement, but I've not seen any program that is very good with hydrogen
bonding networks.  Worst still, I've often seen programs place the
hydrogen atom *between* the Nitrogen and Magnesium atoms of a Histidine
ligand to a Bacteriochlorophyll a.  This mistake will certainly lead to
very bad geometry!

   Until an hydrogenation program is written that can handle all
ligands, all hydrogen bonding networks (even overlapping partially
occupied ones), and use the imaging data to place the Hydrogen atoms
that have one or two dimensional mobility, I don't see an alternative to
leaving the (hopefully) manually inspected and curated Hydrogen atoms in
the deposited PDB.

Dale Tronrud

P.S.
   I'm hoping to find the time to use the new versioning capability of
the wwPDB to put my Hydrogen atoms back in 3EOJ.