PUNIC-UK  February 2020

PUNIC-UK February 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Complete version - Will you be joining us in Malta for 2020?

Pete Missingham <[log in to unmask]>

Pete Missingham <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:38:25 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,

Heritage Malta has teamed up with the University of South Florida and Intercontinental Archaeology to resume excavations within and around the Domus Romana. Zammit’s small excavations in the 1920s and the results of our GPR show of  the area show that we are in for an exciting excavation for years to come…an excavation that will be crucial for Malta’s archaeology as it will place this rich aristocratic house within the context of the ancient town, on which we know so little! More importantly, we hope that this excavation will also uncover data on the Phoenician and Punic predecessors of the Roman town.

This excavation is being entirely funded through our volunteer program that is being organised by Intercontinental Archaeology. Places for this year’s excavation – held between  June 28th and July 25th - are filling up fast so please contact hurry up and contact our colleagues on [log in to unmask]

Our information pack is below

Best regards
David Cardona

Senior Curator
Phoenician, Roman, Medieval
St Paul's Catacombs, TRIQ SANT'AGATA
Rabat
Malta

-------------------
Information Pack
------------------

Volunteer Application
Melite Civitas Romana Project
Sunday June 28 – Friday July 25

Dear Prospective Volunteer,
Thank you for your expression of interest in joining our volunteer team in Malta on what is expected to be the most exciting Roman project in Malta in 100 years. In fact, our first field season coincides with the 100th anniversary of Temi Zammit’s excavations of the Roman Domus in 1920.
Your Expression of Interest to volunteer in 2020 has been accepted. Please take a moment to read the information below carefully and complete the additional information required, including your initial deposit, to secure your position.

The Directors
--------------
The Directors of this project are as follows:
• David Cardona (Heritage Malta Senior Curator Phoenician, Roman and Medieval sites)
• Robert Brown (PhD Candidate ANU, Roman Archaeologist and educator Intercontinental Archaeology)
• Dr. Benedict Lowe (Professor of History and Classics University North Alabama, Intercontinental Archaeology))
• Andrew Wilkinson (Consultant Archaeologist, Heritage Expert Flinders University, Intercontinental Archaeology)
• Dr. Davide Tanasi (Professor of Archaeology and Classics, University of South Florida)

What to expect during your time with the project:
The work this season will focus on small trenches that re-establish the largely unrecorded excavations of Zammit. We aim to extend on these into new ground giving us a better understanding of the Domus, its extent, as well as the archaeological environment around it. We will also be clearing virgin ground within the excavated site with stratigraphic exploration of Zammit’s baulks helping us to potentially better interpret the archaeology.

For those new or even with some experience to archaeological work we will train you step by step in the field and will provide a variety of experiences. The season will be hot and the work in the field meticulous. We are expected to begin work around 8am and conclude work in the field/ lab work around 3-4pm (this is still to be finalised). Lab work/ reporting/ lectures will occur on site or at St. Pauls Catacombs which is nearby. The work week will be Monday to Friday. Our commitment to publication and community outreach includes a site open day during the season as well as a morning of public lectures and presentations on one of the Saturdays. During the season, Heritage Malta (HM) has graciously given to all project team members, free access to all HM sites and museums open to the public (except the Hypogeum) as part of your volunteer contribution. It is hoped that we will also have the opportunity to visit a number of closed sites in the form of field excursions designed to enhance your knowledge of Roman Malta. For those wishing to visit the Hypogeum we suggest you pre-book your visit on a weekend ASAP as visits to this site are limited per day and often book out months in advance. For those with us from week 1, our first meet and greet session will be at the team hotel at 5pm on Sunday June 28. There will be subsequent team introduction sessions each Sunday thereafter to introduce and meet new team members. Further information about the season will be sent to you as we move closer to the season.

Accommodation
------------------
The project hotel is the Hotel Santana in St. Paul’s Bay. St. Paul’s Bay is a lovely beach-side area on the North Western part of the island (about 20-30 minutes’ drive from Rabat/Mdina). The hotel is a 4 star property and will provide wonderful accommodation as well as our breakfasts and dinners. The hotel has many amenities including two pools, a health spa and has the local public and sightseeing bus stop directly out front. Great for unwinding at the end of a hot day and on weekends. We will be accommodating team members in twin share (gender based unless requested otherwise). Your volunteer contribution payments are timed to meet the commitments we have to the hotel as well as work day transport companies. Team members will check in Sunday (2pm) and checkout each week on a Sunday morning (10am) except for week 4 which will be a Saturday morning check out. Any early arrival or late departures will need to be individually organised with the hotel and may involve room changes once the project coverage begins.

What does your Volunteer Contribution cover?
Your volunteer contribution covers: Accommodation, Breakfast and Dinners, HM access, transportation to and from the site, training and equipment, work permit for the team, educational components and field excursions as organised, other project running costs. You will be required to cover your own travel to Malta and transport to and from the hotel on arrival and departure, lunches each day, room mini bar and beverages (bar bills), travel insurance, personal expenses including optional outings and tips to hotel staff. More information about the hotel, schedules, Malta sightseeing and project information will come to you in due course from Fiona Veld-Brown, our Project Volunteer Co-ordinator.

Volunteer Contribution and Payment details
An initial deposit of 1200 euros (one week) per volunteer must be paid on application to secure your position. THIS DEPOSIT IS DUE BY JANUARY 16.
Of the balance 50% is due on February 28 and the remainder due on March 31 (The volunteer contribution is 1200 euros per week. For those participating for the full 4 weeks a special total rate of 4000 euros has been designated). As payments are allocated to hotel commitments etc upon receipt, refunds in
exceptional circumstances are only possible should the project be able to find a full replacement for your position. We recommend travel insurance be taken out with your insurance company on your application and deposit being made.

Payments are to be made to:
--------------------------------
R E BROWN & F VELD-BROWN T/A INTERCONTINENTAL ARCHAEOLOGY
National Australia Bank,
Shop L082 Macarthur Square Shopping Centre,
200 Gilchrist Dr,
Campbelltown NSW
2560
Australia

BSB: 082 356
Account #: 399624471
SWIFT Code: NATAAU3303M
Reference: Your full name e.g. JAMES SMITH
Please note: You are responsible to cover your bank’s transfer fees above the deposit amount. A record of payment (after bank clearance) and outstanding balance schedule will be emailed to you on receipt of your deposit.

Documentation
You are responsible for travel passports, visas if required, travel insurance etc.
A copy of your travel insurance certificate must be forwarded to the project.

Regards,
Pete