DRAWING-RESEARCH  February 2020

DRAWING-RESEARCH February 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Draw to Perform – Performative Drawing Day – London, March 2020

Draw to Perform <[log in to unmask]>

The UK drawing research network mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:05:06 +0000

text/plain

A Day of Drawing Performances & Workshops by Draw to Perform

Sunday 8 March 2020, 10:00-18:00. Artsadmin – Toynbee Studios, London

Draw to Perform invites you to a day of live drawing performances and workshops by local and international artists. Drawing performance is a stream of performance art in which artists create their artwork in front of a live audience while communicating with the viewers. Mark making in drawing performance is often a result of powerful physical gesture and body movement connects elements of line, movement, space and time. We invite all art lovers, drawing fans and students to attend this event, to follow the Draw to Perform and to participate in the discussion.

The upcoming workshop session by Draw to Perform will include three bookable workshops, provided by artists, dancers, and performers. The workshops will explore drawing performance and strategies for forming a dialog between drawing, sound, dance, process and performance. Participants will draw live, share and discuss their outcomes and ideas. Workshops will target different groups and issues in drawing and performance and will allow the general public the opportunity to experience an art form first hand, work with and be tutored by some of the leading artists in their field.

Each session will start with a short live performance by the instructor, followed by a one and a half hour workshop about performative drawing.

All drawing materials will be provided, but please do feel free to also bring your own materials.

Please note Toynbee Studios have limited space capacity and workshops have limited numbers of tickets. Book your tickets online now and reserve your participation in this event!

To book your tickets for this event, please go to the Eventbrite page.

Sunday 8 March – Schedule:

10:00 – 10:15 Drawing performance by Ram Samocha

10:30 – 12:00 Workshop with Ram Samocha

_______________________________________

13:00 – 13:15 Drawing performance by Matěj Frank

13:30 – 15:00 Workshop with Matěj Frank

______________________________________

16:00 – 16:15 Drawing performance by Maria da Luz

16:30 – 18:00 Workshop with Maria da Luz

https://drawtoperform.com

https://www.artsadmin.co.uk/toynbee-studios

Artsadmin – Toynbee Studios

28 Commercial Street

London, E1 6AB

10:00 – 10:15 Drawing performance by Ram Samocha

DUST TO DUST

Inspired by childhood memories and elder experience this new drawing performance by artist Ram Samocha combines between few elements of drawing, movement, and sound. Samocha will use graphite and sanguine powder to draw with and to create a large and expressive painting. This live performance intends to explore our basic ways of expression and communication while using unusual drawing tools.

10:30 – 12:00 Workshop with Ram Samocha

DRAWING WITH POWDER

This performative drawing workshop with Ram Samocha will focus on working with powder (graphite, sanguine, sepia) as the main tool for drawing. This workshop combines elements of movement, drawing and mark making with painting and sound.

This workshop will concentrate on the connection and combination between live action and drawing. It will allow participations to experiment with this practice, and talk about possible options of process and presentation. Participants will have the opportunity to draw live, collaborate, share and discuss their actions.

Ram Samocha is a multi-disciplinary artist who currently resides in Brighton, UK. Samocha’s work combines drawing with video, installation, and live performance. Samocha often mixes modern and traditional drawing techniques while searching for new ways to combine between 2D and 3D work. Samocha is the founder of Draw to Perform, an international gathering of artists and theorists involved in drawing performance. Samocha’s work has been recognized nationally and internationally and his work is part of various museums and private collections.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RamSamocha

13:00 – 13:15 Drawing performance by Matěj Frank

15′

Frank perceives the line and the drawing in general as a means of capturing the time. Although everybody perceives the time subjectively, we tend to measure it precisely and objectively. In his drawing performance, Frank will merge the human non-precision with the precision of clockworks.

13:30 – 15:00 Workshop with Matěj Frank

IMAGINE SPACE

The drawing workshop focuses on heightening spatial imagination, spatial memory and observation through touch. The goal of the workshop is to emphasize the physical experience of recognition and observation of an object or a space while not being able to see it. The participants will be given various tasks in different settings.

In the first part, the series of tasks will comprise observing and drawing objects with various restrictions: seeing both, the object and the drawing; seeing what we draw while not seeing the object (recognizing it only through touching); seeing the object while not seeing what we draw; seeing neither the object nor what we draw.

In the second part we will work in pair and will focus on space surrounding us, discovering and recognizing it by moving through it and touching it with covered eyes. Later, we will draw the map / blueprint / situation where we moved through.

Matěj Frank is a visual artist currently living in Wrocław, PL. Although the base of his work lays in sculpture, he moves across various media, such as performance, drawing or sound art. He deals with space – in relation to time, motion, body and sound. Frank studied fine arts in Czechia and Spain and graduated from the Academy of Art and Design in Wrocław, where he currently teaches. As a committee member of the association for contemporary art and music Bludný kámen, Frank organizes and curates exhibitions of visual and sound art. Matěj Frank participates in numerous national and international projects and exhibitions in Europe, and he was awarded with the Scholarship of Ministr of Culture and National Heritage in Poland and Ministry of Culture in the Czech Republic.

https://matejfrank.wixsite.com/matej-frank

16:00 – 16:15 Drawing performance by Maria da Luz

A CONVERSATION BETWEEN ME AND THE MOON

A woman,

A white wall,

A Paintbrush,

Breath,

Light,

Sound,

Breath becomes sound, movement becomes mark.

Artists and poets have long thought about the Moon’s influence on living creatures, and in particular, on women’s cycles. A Conversation Between Me and The Moon is a work in progress, an extract from Maria da Luz’ solo A Tree Without Leaves, a dance piece exploring the meaning of womanhood in contemporary society. The concept behind the work is born as a response to a Chad proverb: ‘A tree without leaves is like a woman without children’.

16:30 – 18:00 Workshop with Maria da Luz

DRAW IN YOUR BODY

A Movement and Drawing workshop exploring emotions through the relationship between breath, movement and making marks. In this workshop we will focus on how to integrate Breath and Mindfulness into our creative process. Explore how having awareness in the whole body affects our creative expression and help us reconnect with our feelings and our stories.

Explore how breath, movement and mark making can help us regain the freedom of drawing and help improve our emotional well-being. This workshop explores the creative process I followed to create as I developed ‘A Conversation Between Me and The Moon’.

Maria da Luz Ghoumrassi is a dancer, choreographer and educator working through multidisciplinary techniques to develop Intercultural Awareness Performance. She is the artistic director of DaLuzDance and has presented numerous works in venues across the UK. She has performed in the original cast of The Lion King, Kokuma Dance Theatre, Jacky Lansley, The London College of Fashion, among others.

Maria da Luz has recently performed for artists including Joan Jonas Tate Live 2018, Anthea Hamilton, Liz Glynn/Frieze Art Fair, Delfina Foundation, Murat Adash and Leonor Serrano Rivas. She continues to find joy and inspiration through professional development and exploring ways to integrate different disciplines into her creative and performative practice.

https://www.facebook.com/drawtoperform/videos