Design Research News, December 2019

DAVID DURLING <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Dec 2019 16:15:03 +0000

text/plain

________________________________________________  ________________
____________________________________________      __  _  _  _   __
__________________________________________   ___  __   ___  ___  _
__________________________________________  ____  __  ____  ___  _
__________________________________________   ___  __  ____  ___  _
____________________________________________      __  ____  ___  _

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS Volume 24 Number 8, Dec2019

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CONTENTS

o   Victor Margolin

o   Subscriber feedback

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   DRN search

o   Contributing to DRN

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VICTOR MARGOLIN

Here is a selection of the tributes to Victor Margolin, who died last
month. These comments are taken from posts to the phd-design discussion
forum. There are also some selected links to further information about
Victor.
-- Ed.

I met him a few decades ago at PUC-Rio, a Catholic University in Rio de
Janeiro, in one of the first design conferences in Brazil. I invited him to
have lunch with us at home, and then we went to visit a wonderful Brazilian
folk art museum, Museu do Pontal, in Recreio dos Bandeirantes, after Barra
da Tijuca, a far neighborhood in Rio.

On the way, something happened that I'm never tired to retell.

We left our house in Leblon by car towards the first tunnel, Dois Irmos
tunnel. The entrance to this first neighborhood, So Conrado, was a glorious
one, the blue sky with flying humans on its colorful wings.
How beautiful! Wonderful! he said.

Towards Barra da Tijuca, where one can find a very strange and not so good,
even awful architecture, we passed through another tunnel, and a strange
silence settled in the car. And we kept passing by those buildings, always
in silence.

Some minutes have passed, and interjections began to be heard:
Jesus! Oh god! Jesus Christ!
And his question finally came:
Don't you guys have a school of architecture here?

This was Victor Margolin, mindful of everything around him. From the
activity of afro-descendants designers in Chicago about which he made a
fine small-print record to urban art demonstrations in the Mexican
community of Chicago, where he led us excited and delighted to provide us
with such a stroll, eating in a sensational very small place, just a
counter. Yet, he could turn his attention to kitsch demonstrations gathered
at the University of Illinois Museum of Corn-temporary Art, recorded in
'Culture is Everywhere'. Or even from the contemporary production of
posters in the most hidden corners of the planet to political issues of
design.

A sensitive look, diverse in the objects of his admiration, Victor was a
lover of jazz and blues. To him, I owe the discovery of great musicians.

A few years ago, he suffered a fall in Seoul after receiving a lifetime
achievement award, which caused him serious motor problems. Which made him
very dismayed to move from his beautiful Chicago apartment, a large loft in
an old building, a disused film industry warehouse, to Washington DC to
make life easier. Still, the last time we spoke, he said he had found
someone to help him finish the third volume of his quite impressive 'World
History of Design'.

Blunt when necessary, his kindness always made conversation possible, an
article so scarce today, that could cover from the delight of the movies he
loved to technical questions of historiography. I remember, smiling to
myself, hearing from him at a table in Carla Pernambuco's little bistro in
Sao Paulo:
how nice we can sit like this and talk about so many other subjects than
design!

Undoubtedly, all of us will lack his humor, his ability to instigate, and
his almost ubiquitous presence in debates about design history. We will
still miss our friend.
-- Joao de Souza Leite

I met Victor at a conference in Chelula, Mexico in 1999. We have been in
correspondence ever since. I shall miss his thoughtful social insights into
design. He leaves an extraordinary legacy for us all. A legacy to celebrate
and honour.
-- David Sless

It is difficult to realise that we have lost such a central figure in our
field as Victor Margolin. Victor is one of the key figures whose ideas and
thinking helped to develop the fields of design history and design
research, and he had a central role in the first conferences on doctoral
education in design. It was at the first of these, the conference in
Columbus, Ohio, that this list began.

Victor's broad learning and his understanding of the role of design in
society made it a pleasure to talk with him, and a pleasure to correspond
with him. Many of us have fond memories of Victor's thoughts on topics that
interest us outside of design. In my case, we occasionally exchanged ideas
on different aspects of art and art history.

Victor Margolin  and his work  remain a lively presence to anyone active in
design research over the past few decades.

Thank you, Victor, and farewell.
-- Ken Friedman

Selected links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Margolin

https://www.designresearchsociety.org/articles/in-memory-of-professor-victor-margolin-1941-2019

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?fhid=6125&n=victor-margolin&pid=194590606

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A REQUEST FOR SUBSCRIBER FEEDBACK

Jiscmail facilitates the system that distributes this newsletter. They have
an online survey for subscribers. The purpose of the survey is to
understand what subscribers think of the service overall, what you get
from (JiscMail) mailing lists subscriptions, and to invite you to share
your story about a message/discussion that's had an impact. JiscMail is a
free service, so we need to make sure that we're meeting the needs of the
sectors we support.

The survey is online until end of December 2019.

Survey link:

https://jisc.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/jiscmail-survey-2019

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CALLS

26-28 August 2020 - 6th International Conference on Design Creativity
(ICDC 2020) University of Oulu, Finland.

http://icdc2020.org/

The submission deadline is 6 January 2020.

Founded by the Special Interest Group (SIG) on Design Creativity and
supported by the Design Society, ICDC 2020 welcomes researchers studying
the nature of design creativity from several perspectives: design,
engineering, computer science, education, linguistics, management, and
cognitive science. ICDC 2020 offers a forum for all those actively studying
the topic of creativity within design. We invite authors to address the
special theme of

Creativity at the Extremes

Oftentimes creativity arises in situations that are less than ideal, i.e.,
situations where time, working space, materials, and people are limited.
Since creativity under resource constraints is an important research
agenda, the main theme of the Sixth International Conference on Design
Creativity (ICDC 2020) is Creativity at the Extremes. In addition to works
advancing established topics in design creativity, submissions dealing with
case studies and research on new design creativity supporting technologies
and approaches are also welcome.

The conference welcomes papers on research topics including, but not
limited to, the following:

- Creative design processes and methods
- Creative design cultures
- Collaborative creative design
- Social interactions in creative design
- Cognition and neurosciences in creative design
- Big data, machine learning and AI to support creativity
- ICT supported creativity
- Extreme prototyping and creative journeys
- Creative design for sustainability
- Creativity with extreme users
- Measuring creativity and its impact
- Open innovation for creative industries
- Managing creativity and innovation
- Entrepreneurship and creativity
- Social impact of creative design
- Case studies of new creative design practices
- Creative learners and practitioners
- Teaching creativity and innovation

All accepted papers will be indexed with a DOI and will be open access
through the Design Society. Extended versions of selected papers will be
published by International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation
after additional review.

CA2RE+ Conference in Trondheim and Call for abstracts

The CA2RE+ Strategic Partnership builds on the experience of the CA2RE
community and its biannual Conferences on Artistic and Architectural
Research since Autumn 2016, organized in association with ARENA
(Architectural Research European Network Association), EAAE and ELIA. The
Ghent CA2RE represents the first CA2RE+ event, where the Erasmus+ financial
support can be provided for 3 candidates from each of the CA2RE+
participating higher education institution: the University of Ljubljana
(LJUBLJANA), the Aarhus School of Architecture (AARHUS), the KU Leuven
(GHENT), the Politecnico di Milano (MILANO), the TU Berlin (BERLIN), the
COFAC - Lusofona University (PORTO), the Hafencity University Hamburg
(HAMBURG), the Norwegian UnIiversity of Science and Technology (TRONDHEIM)
and the TU Delft (DELFT). EAAE and ELIA are CA2RE+ full partners as well.
The associate partnership includes the CA2RE participants.

Although originating from the Artistic and Architectural research
community, we are also encouraging doctoral students, their supervisors and
research-active faculty members from other design disciplines, such as
Industrial Design, to participate. Therefore, we are inviting our design
doctoral candidates to submit their materials, following the CA2RE
guidelines.

Please look at the Call for Abstracts

https://www.ntnu.edu/ca2re2020/ca2re

6-10 July 2020 - ACM DIS 2020 Designing Interactive Systems 2020, Eindhoven
Designing Interactive Systems 2020 (DIS 2020)
Eindhoven, Netherlands

http://dis.acm.org/2020

The ACM conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) is the premier,
international arena where designers, artists, psychologists, user
experience researchers, systems engineers and many more come together to
debate and shape the future of interactive systems design and practice.

Designing Interactive Systems 2020 (DIS 2020) will take place in Eindhoven,
Netherlands from July 6-10, 2020. The Department of Industrial Design at
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) will be the organizing
institution. The conference chairs are Ron Wakkary (SFU & TU/e) and
Kristina Andersen (TU/e) <[log in to unmask]>. The Technical Program
Chairs are William Odom (SFU), Audrey Desjardins (University of
Washington), and Marianne Graves-Petersen (Aarhus
University)<[log in to unmask]>.

The theme for DIS 2020 is More than Human-Centred Design. The aim of the
theme is to rethink the research and contributions we make in design and
HCI, by investigating non-humanist or posthumanist alternatives. These
approaches displace the human at the centre of thought and action with
humans and non-humans bound together materially, ethically, and
existentially. The theme is intended to encourage contributions toward new
methodological or theoretical approaches that build on, and extend,
existing research in order to go beyond human-centred design towards more
complex understandings of our future coexistence with other kinds of
materials and intelligences that blur the boundaries between humans,
non-humans, and technology.

DIS 2020 is an interdisciplinary conference, encompassing all issues
related to the design and deployment of interactive systems. We encourage
submissions from a broad range of researchers and practitioners within the
field of interactive systems design that address issues of design theory,
methods, critical perspectives, experiences, artifacts, technologies,
diverse application domains, and design for societal, cultural, economic,
environmental, or political change.

Papers and Pictorials accepted at DIS 2020 are ACM archival publications
and represent a significant contribution to the field of interactive
systems design, research and practice. DIS 2020 is a prestigious conference
which makes competition between submissions high, so submit your best work
to this venue. DIS 2020 also includes a Companion Proceedings for
non-archival accepted contributions including Workshops,
Provocations/Works-in-Progress, Demos, Doctoral Consortium, Student Design
Competition, and Design Exhibition.

Full submission instructions can be found on the conference website:
http://dis.acm.org/2020

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Deadlines

- January 24, 2020 - Full paper and Pictorials Abstract and Title
- January 31, 2020 - Full papers, Pictorials, Workshops
- February 28, 2020 - Provocations and WIP, Demos, Doctoral Consortium,
Student Design Competition and Design Exhibition

Notifications

- March 26, 2020 - Workshops
- April 9, 2020 - Full papers, Pictorials, Provocations and WIP, Demos,
Doctoral Consortium, and Student Design Competition
- April 23, 2020 - Design Exhibition

Registration Deadlines

- May 21, 2020 - Early Bird Registration ends
- June 25, 2020 - Online Registration ends
- July 4, 2020 - On-site registration opens

About Eindhoven, Netherlands:

Initially an industrial city, the city of Eindhoven has developed itself
into the capital of the so-called brainport region: a breeding ground for
high-tech industry. Eindhoven is also the capital of Dutch design, hosting
the Dutch Design week every year in October, an event showcasing dutch
design and the work of more than 2,600 designers to an ever-growing
international public of more than 355,000 visitors. Additionally, Eindhoven
is known as the city of light, describing its history as the location of
the first Philips light bulb factory, and hosts the yearly international
GLOW festival of light art and design. Philips former industrial areas such
as Strijp-S have been taken over by the creative industry and are now home
to artists, designers and makers of various backgrounds. The vibrant mix of
technology, design and art makes Eindhoven a compelling location for DIS
2020. Eindhoven is located in the center of Europe and is easily accessible
by train, the Eindhoven Airport or Schiphol Airport. Despite being the
fifth largest city in the Netherlands, the center of Eindhoven is compact
and therefore all major areas, such as the Eindhoven University of
Technology campus, the central railway station, creative area Strijp-S, as
well as hotels, restaurants and museums, are all within walking distance of
each other.

Intl Conf on Design Computing and Cognition DCC'20
DCC'20 SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

The Ninth International Conference on Design Computing and Cognition
(DCC20) will be held 29 June  1 July 2020 at Georgia Institute of
Technology, Atlanta, USA.

http://dccconferences.org/dcc20/

This biennial conference series provides an international forum for the
presentation and discussion of the state-of-the-art and cutting-edge
research with a focus on artificial intelligence, cognitive science,
neurocognition and computational theories in design.

Please consider submitting a paper. Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

- Agents in design
- Artificial intelligence in design
- Big Data in design
- Biologically-inspired design
- Cognition of designing
- Collaborative and co-design
- Computational social science applied to design
- Computational theories applied to design
- Creative design
- Deep learning in design
- Design theory
- Evolutionary approaches in design
- Games and design
- Machine learning in design
- Neurocognition of designing
- Physiology of designing
- Situated computing in design
- Social interaction in design
- Visual and spatial reasoning in design

17-19 June 2020 - Complexity and the City  Life, Design and Commerce in the
Built Environment
City University, London.

ABSTRACTS: (Round One): DEC 2019

https://architecturemps.com/london-2020/

SUBMISSIONS:

Abstracts received later in December will be included in Round One reviews
immediately. Later submissions will be included in Round Two.

https://architecturemps.com/london-2020/

STRANDS:

Urban Design | Architecture | Sustainability | Engineering | Housing |
Public Health | Sociology | Economics | Business | Governance | Art and
Culture | History

CALL:

The first years of the 1970s saw the introduction of a whole series of
notions that would mutually inform our reading of the metropolis: social
justice and the city, sustainability, defensible space, and urban centres
as sites of public health. It saw the emergence of concepts such as the
global city, urban economics, the post-industrial society and the cultural
city. From art, design and cultural perspectives, post-modernism would
critique of the whole modernist project.

Five decades after complexity theory was first applied to our reading of
the city, this conference revisits its consequences. It reconsiders the
city as an adaptive, self-organising and unpredictable system of
interconnecting interventions, forces and perspectives. It asks how these
competing and mutually reinforcing factors came into play and how they
operate today. It questions how the city has been, and continues to be,
informed by the practices of multiple disciplines.

TO SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT:

https://architecturemps.com/london-2020/

10-13 August 2020 - Unisa International HETL Conference

The International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Conference is
hosted jointly by the International Higher Education Teaching and Learning
(HETL) and the University of South Africa, from 10 to 13 August 2020 in
Pretoria, South Africa.

For conference details, see

https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/News-&-Media/Calendar-&-
events/Unisa-International-HETL-Conference-2020

To submit a presentation proposal, see

https://www.hetl.org/the-2020-international-higher-education-teaching-and-
learning-conference-hetl/

30 April - 2 May 2020 - Whats Next, a Thought Leadership Platform by Pearl
Academy in Bengaluru 2020
BENGALURU, INDIA

Whats Next, a Thought Leadership Platform initiated and facilitated by
Pearl Academy which was instituted in 2014 and continues to be looked
forward to as a prestigious intellectual event every year. This confluence
of innovation, ideas and insightful experiences has been traditionally
conducted in a World Caf Format. The forthcoming Whats Next confluence
scheduled to be held in Bengaluru on 30th April - 2nd May 2020 has now
evolved into a three-day event to include conversations with eminent
speakers, the world caf discussions, installations/paper presentations and
workshops.

The theme of the event is The New Reality.

The New Reality is an emergent code for living where basic values and
shared norms are turned into innovative, positive forces, driving our
future; directing a new sense of Global Togetherness for a meaningful and
sustainable existence of humankind. It is a common vision for a future that
we can create, grow and empower through education, technology, social
values and equipoised environment. The conference aims to initiate a
dialogic inquiry towards a collective insight around the reality of The
World of the future. It is a cross pollination of ideas from conversations
that critically examine the concerns of the future.

This event will coincide with the launch of Pearl Academys New Bengaluru
Campus.

Faculty members and students from fellow institutions are invited to
participate in the paper and non-paper presentations planned for the event.
The call for papers for Whats NextThe New Reality is enclosed therewith.

You may register your attendance/abstract submissions here. Full papers to
be mailed at [log in to unmask] which are selected will be
published as a book following the event. The registration fee is as
mentioned below:

Delegates- 10,000 rupees.
Academics and Institutions (minimum of 3 attendees)- 7,500 rupees.
Students- 3,000 rupees.

https://whatsnext.pearlacademy.com/

Understanding UX through Implicit and Explicit Feedback - Multimodal
Technologies and Interaction

In collaboration with the MDPI journal "Multimodal Technologies and
Interaction", we are bringing researchers together to contribute to a
Special Issue on:

'Understanding UX through Implicit and Explicit Feedback'

Guest Editors:

Dr. ir. Bruce Ferwerda, Jonkoping University, Jonkoping, Sweden
Dr. ir. Mark Graus, Maastricht University, Maastricht, the Netherlands

https://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/special_issues/UX_feedback

Submissions are ongoing with the final submission deadline for manuscripts
to be considered on 31 March 2020.

This special issue aims to explore the opportunities and challenges of
combining implicit and explicit feedback to understand and design user
experience (UX) in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).

Measuring UX is important to understand how successful applications and
systems are in reaching their goals. In general, there are two main
approaches to measure UX: 1) explicit feedback (i.e., using data measured
through surveys, interviews and focus groups) and 2) implicit feedback
(i.e., using data describing users' observable interaction behavior
measured through, for example, telemetry). Measuring explicit feedback is
costlier, requires user input, and thus relies on smaller scale studies.
However, it allows to gain deeper information and understanding about the
relationship between user characteristics, their needs and preferences,
their behavior and their experience. Although, implicit feedback can be
collected automatically, it allows for limited understanding of the
relationship between user behavior, user traits and user experience.

Implicit and explicit feedback can be combined to effectively measure and
understand UX factors; implicit feedback can facilitate the breadth (by
quantitatively indicating how designs influence UX) while explicit feedback
can facilitate the depth (by providing insight how user behavior, user
characteristics and user experience are related). The combination of these
two approaches result in an understanding with a high level of detail with
the cost efficiency of quantitative research.

Specific areas in which the combination of implicit and explicit feedback
is valuable is in personalized and adaptive systems: systems that adapt
itself based on users' interaction behavior to match their preferences or
needs. A prominent direction using this approach is the field of
recommender systems in which historical behavioral data (implicit feedback)
is used to alter the order of items in a catalog (from highest predicted
relevance to lowest predicted relevance), with the goal of helping users to
find relevant items more easily or making them consume more items. In this
case, implicit feedback (behavior) is used to make inferences about
concepts that normally can only be measured through explicit feedback
(preferences).

We encourage authors to submit original research articles, case studies,
reviews, theoretical and critical perspectives, and viewpoint articles
within the domain of HCI on topics including but not limited to:

- Deriving metrics for measuring UX from qualitative research
- The interplay between user characteristics/user behavior and UX
- Combining explicit and implicit feedback for UX Research
- Empirical studies incorporating UX factors, user behavior and/or user
characteristics (e.g., A/B testing)
- Explicit and implicit feedback in personalized/adaptive systems
- Implicit feedback for UX design (e.g., data-driven design)
- Explicit feedback for UX design (e.g., theory-driven design)

For more information about the Special Issue, please see:

https://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/special_issues/UX_feedback

For information on manuscript preparation and related matters, please see
the instructions for authors:

https://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/instructions

Although the deadline for submission of manuscripts to the Special Issue is
31 March 2020, papers will be reviewed and published as they are received.
The entire set of invited papers and any others in this domain will appear
at the link indicated.

Deadline for Design4Health2020 submissions extended to Sun 5th January

We are extending the deadline for Design4Health2020 submissions to Sun 5
Jan 2020 23.59 CET.

We have already had a fantastic response to the call for papers but we are
aware that some users have had difficulties submitting online. Please see
the note below if this applies to you.

Full information on the themes and submission process is in the attached
document, and follow us at @design4health.

Problems submitting?

If you have created a user account but do not see the option to submit to
the conference, this means that you are not enrolled as anAuthor.
If you are a new user, click the [Account] tab (top right) to create an
account. Please ensure that you complete the required fields and check the
boxes for :
- Confirmation: Send me a confirmation email including my username and
password
- Create account as Author: Able to submit items to the conference
Then click [User home] and you should see the option to click [New
Submission] for this conference.

https://research.shu.ac.uk/design4health/conferences/design4health2020-
designing-future-health

29-30 June 2020 - MEDIAS, ART, TECHNOLOGY and the CITY.
Canterbury, UK. University of Kent

The keynote and book series announced for this University of Kent
Conference.

THEMES: Digital art, film-photography and the city, history and heritage,
architectural theory, digital design, smart cities.

As part of the conference, CONNECTIONS: EXPLORING HERITAGE, ARCHITECTURE,
CITIES, ART, MEDIA, a special publication strand with Intellect Books is
proposed to respond the work of the conference keynote, Dr. Richard Koeck.
Director of the Centre for Architecture and the Visual Arts. The book will
be part of the Mediated Cities series.

Abstracts: 10th Feb 2020 (Round One)

https://architecturemps.com/canterbury-conference/

Dr. Koeck's areas of research include film and architecture and
architecture's connection with visual arts and media more broadly. Books
include: Cities in Film: Architecture, Urban Space and the Moving Image
(2008), The City and the Moving Image (2010) and Cinematic Urban
Geographies (2016), Cine|Scapes: Cinematic Spaces in Architecture and
Cities (Routlege, 2012).

As Director of CAVA (Centre for Architecture and the Visual Arts) he
coordinates a range of projects connected to these theme, including:

"IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK..." a participatory immersive mixed reality
experience in the historic St. George's Hall of Liverpool; GHOST CINEMA
APP, Cinematic Geographies of Battersea: Urban Interface and Site-Specific
Spatial Knowledge; LUMIRE AND THE OVERHEAD RAILWAY, an exhibition at
National Museums Liverpool: Lumire and the Overhead Railway, and more.

The Mediated Cities book series with Intellect Books is run by AMPS
(Architecture, Media, Politics, Society), co-organisers of this conference.
Previous books in the series:

- Narrating the City. Filmic Representations of City and Architecture.
Intellect Books. 2020
- Transformations - Art and the City. Intellect Books. 2017
- Filming the City - Urban Documents, Design Practices and Social Criticism
Through the Lens. Intellect Books. 2015
- Digital Futures and the City of Today - New Technologies and Physical
Spaces. Intellect Books, 2014.
- Imaging the City - Art and Creative Practices. Intellect Books. 2014

To participate, submit an abstract:

https://architecturemps.com/canterbury-conference/

25-26 September 2020 - Call for papers and works - AGORA I  The
Architectures of Hiding

CR|PT|C (Carleton Research Practice of Teaching Collaborative) is a
research collaborative led by architecture PhD students at Carleton
University. We are currently organizing AGORA I  The Architectures of
Hiding  an international symposium, which will be hosted at the School of
Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University, Ottawa on September 25-26,
2020. The symposium invites paper presentations as well as creative works.

The call for abstracts for AGORA I  The Architectures of Hiding can be
found at:

criptic.org/agora-1

Special Issue on Sustainable Consumption and Production by Upcycling

https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability/special_issues/
Sustainable_Consumption_Production_Upcycling

Deadline: 31 December 2020

10-13 August 2020 - International Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Conference

The International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Conference is
hosted jointly by the International Higher Education Teaching and Learning
(HETL) and the University of South Africa, from 10 to 13 August 2020 in
South Africa.

For conference details, see

https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/News-&-Media/Calendar-&-
events/Unisa-International-HETL-Conference-2020

To submit a presentation proposal, see

https://www.hetl.org/the-2020-international-higher-education-teaching-and-
learning-conference-hetl/

Call for abstracts in the International Symposium of Architecture,
Technology and Innovation (ATI)

Technology has always been pivotal in shaping the society. Advances in
information technologies and material sciences in the course of the
twenty-first century have irreversibly altered not only everyday life of
individuals, so that the structural tenets of societies, but also the
design, construction and management methods in architectural, engineering
and urban practices. Beyond these alterations, recent innovations in
emergent technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT) and/or Machine
Learning have started to define unprecedented needs and requirements for
the built environments. Moreover, environmental problems like pollution,
source limitations, overcrowded cities, climate change, extreme weather
conditions and the social crises that they cause on the doorstep require
each and every profession to rethink its role in the ever changing
conditions of todays dynamic political and economic agenda, make urgent
decisions to adjust itself and take immediate actions. Cutting edge
technological developments and innovations have the potential of being both
remedy and poison for these environmental, economic and social upheavals.

In order to give insights into the role of technology and innovation in the
practice and critical theory of contemporary architecture, Yaar University
Department of Architecture initiates the International Symposium of
Architecture, Technology and Innovation (ATI), which is planned to be
organized annually from this very first one onwards. The symposium aims to
provide scholars a transdisciplinary platform where theoretical, technical
and/or practice-based state-of-the-art research findings revolving around a
yearly theme in the larger framework of ATI can be discussed reciprocally.

Selected papers will be published in the International Journal of Digital
Innovation in the Built Environment as a special issue.

This years symposium entitled Smart Buildings, Smart Cities will be held on
28-30 April 2020 in Yaar University, Izmir, Turkey. Smart cities today, are
considered as ecosystems of various networks designed to make the urban
environment more intelligent; and smart buildings are one of the most
indispensable components of this ecosystem. By bringing together scholars
from diverse disciplines all those who focus on the effects of unfolding
intelligent systems of built environment, the symposium is aimed to
initiate a scholarly informed basis for the discussion of the
opportunities, requirements and sustainability of this ecosystem with its
present and potential future forms as well as its undercurrents.

25/11/2019 : Call for Papers
24/01/2020 : Deadline for the Abstract Submission
24/02/2020 : Final Announcement of the Accepted Papers
30/03/2020 : Final Full-text Submission
30/04/2020 : Symposium

https://ati.yasar.edu.tr/

Call for submissions | PAD#18 | The Women's Making (and Designing) | PAD
journal

This call for articles refers to researchers and scholars in gender
studies, design and art studies, entrepreneurship studies as well as
material and craft/making studies. We are interested in researches that
focus on literature and comparative studies about this topic, case studies
of women designers and craft experiences (including Do-It-Yourself), woman
practices of craft, in the history and in the present time, including
interviews to women as well as the result of women students observation in
art & design school.

The history of womens role in applied and decorative arts is rich and
essential to understanding the progressive reaching womens role in design
creation, crafting, or making nowadays. Thank a recent historiography
revision, the presence of women in applied and decorative arts history is
extensive, but their role in the technological dimension is considered less
to the same extent as that of men.

In recent years, making interest has grown in popularity all over the
world. Exhibitions, fairs, and web platforms have been making echo to the
Arts and Crafts movement. The consumers and designers interest in
handcraft/making/self-production/DIY has grown in popularity in the USA,
Europe, and finally also in Asia, shaping a complex creative movement. This
new movement has also been seen as a political phenomenon characterized by
a growing community of young women, with some aspects related to a third
wave feminist do-it-yourself.

Beyond the political aspects, women crafting has been acquired more and
more considerable cultural, social, and commercial values. Making women
opens an alternative space for womens needs and perspectives outside of the
industrial production values and business mainstream. In each country and
culture, the role of the womens movement acquires a unique role.

Our intention with this call is providing to the readers of issue 18 a
close up on the rich phenomenology of contemporary women crafting in
different countries, for each their specificity, with the support of
available evidence-based research concerning the role of women in today and
future design and production.

The call focuses on:

- Women design and craft practices
- Women material sensibilities
- The ability of women to subvert masculinist bias in technology
- The role of women in applied and decorative arts in the past
- The role of women in design creation and making nowadays
- The role of women in technologies
- The actual phenomena of design and making by women
- The role of women in next future design and production
- Feminized technology and/or a critique of the production models supported
by technology by women
- Case studies: real instances of women entrepreneurs and creators

The call for paper demands the attention of a large field of interest for
designers, artists, handicraftsmen, heritage experts, cultural operators,
entrepreneurs, sociologists and philosophers that study womens design and
craft.

We ask to send:

- abstract proposals(from 2000 to 3000 spaces) beat in English and original
languages by January 10 2020.
- full papers will be required to be submitted by March 16 2020 and then be
subjected to double-blind peer review. The length of the contributions
20000/25000 characters (abstract, notes and bibliography excluded).
- illustrations (maximum 10 per article) must be collected in a .zip folder
to be renamed by accompanying the authors surname and a progressive
numbering corresponding to the captions (eg 01_Cognome, 02_Cognome). These
should be listed in a document written in the same font as the main text
and written on a Word .doc document as follows Figure 1: Authors name and
surname, the title of the work, date. Minimum resolution of 300 dpi, .JPG
file.

Abstract submission by mail to [log in to unmask]

Arctic Design_three CALLS for contributions

Together with my colleagues from the University of Lapland, I am pleased to
share three interesting calls in the field of Arctic art, design and
architecture open at the moment:

DEADLINE December 31, 2019

The first is the Call for presentations/posters for two sessions at the
10th International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS X),
Arkhangelsk, Russia, June 15-20, 2020 (travel support available):

- Arctic Design: best practices from the geographic periphery
(description here: https://icass.uni.edu/session-proposals).

In this session, we invite scholars and practitioners from a broad range of
disciplines including design, architecture, arts and crafts, engineering,
museology, archaeology, anthropology, and others to discuss the potential
of the Arctic design in addressing technological, environmental, and
socio-cultural challenges of Arctic development. We are interested in
collecting and pooling case studies from different parts of the circumpolar
world that illuminate various facets of the Arctic design approach.

- The homey Arctic? Experiences, challenges, and opportunities for
designing fly-in-fly-out settlements in the High North
(description here: https://icass.uni.edu/session-proposals?page=5).

In this session, we invite researchers and practitioners to discuss the
physical infrastructure of existing and perspective FIFO camps, with the
emphasis on functional and aesthetic characteristics and their potential
impact on the process of physical and psychological adaptation of workers.

Direct link to the submission system:
https://icass.uni.edu/abstract-submission

DEADLINE January 15, 2020

Another very interesting opportunity is the call for proposals for a
mobile/virtual exhibition ARCTIC MAKES: Observations, Lessons, and
Solutions from the Geographic Periphery, organized in the Ural State
University of Architecture and Art, in Ekaterinburg, Russia.

The deadline for proposals is 15 January 2020. More information and the
application form can be found in the attached file and on the ASAD network
website:
https://www.asadnetwork.org/call-arctic-makes.html

For any inquiries you might have please do not hesitate to contact the
organizers Svetlana Usenyuk-Kravchuk (svetlana.usenyuk[a]gmail.com) and
Alexandra Raeva (sasha_raeva25[a]mail.ru). Please also circulate this call
among those who are outside this mailing list but might be interested in
making a contribution.

DEADLINE March 30, 2020

The third is the Call for contributions for the RELATE NORTH Publication by
30 March 2020 (Synopsis). More information enclosed and also from the
editors Timo Jokela (timo.jokela[a]ulapland.fi) and Glen Coutts
(glen.coutts[a]ulapland.fi).

IJDST: Call For Papers "Blockcjhain & Social Innovation"

Call for papers

International Journal of Design Sciences & Technology

Special Issue on Blockchain #Digital#Interface& Blockchain Use-Case for
#social#innovation

http://ijdst.europia.org/index.php/ijdst/announcement/view/1

Deadlines:

- Pre-proposals for papers will have to be submitted at the latest on
January 6th, 2020.
- Pre-proposals will be selected no later than 1 February 2020
- Proposals should be submitted at the latest on May 1, 2020.

17-19 June 2020 - International Conference on Interactive Media Experiences
Barcelona

Call for Volunteer Associate Chairs (ACs)  Applications for the Program
Committee of ACM IMX 2020

ACM IMX 2020 (formerly TVX)

https://imx.acm.org/2020/

We welcome applications to become part of the IMX 2020 (formerly known as
TVX) Technical Program Committee (TPC), as Associate Chair (AC). ACs play a
key role in the submission and review process and help the TPC chairs in
shaping the technical program of the conference. The application is open to
all members of the community, from both industry and academia, who feel
they can contribute to this team. Our aim is to broaden participation,
ensuring a diverse and representative Technical Program Committee, and to
help widen the ACM IMX community to include a full range of perspectives.

HOW TO APPLY

This call is open to new Associate Chairs and experienced Associate Chairs
who have participated in previous years and want to be an Associate Chair
for IMX 2020.

Application form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IMX2020

Application deadline: January 15, 2020

Successful applicants will be responsible for arranging and coordinating
reviews for around 3 or 4 submissions in the single submission paper format
of ACM IMX 2020, as well as attending the virtual Program Committee meeting
in the first week of March 2020.

We welcome applications from academics, industrial practitioners, and
senior PhD students, who have expertise in HCI, Multimedia, Social
Computing, User Experience, Systems, Artificial Intelligence, and related
areas, and who have an interest in topics related to interactive
experiences and video-centric media. Applicants should have an expertise or
interest in one or more topics in our call for papers.
<https://imx.acm.org/2020/research-papers/> After the application deadline,
applicants will be considered and selected for ACs, and the TPC Chairs may
invite additional ACs to integrate the team. The ultimate goal is to reach
a diverse, inclusive and balanced TPC team in terms of fields of expertise,
experience and perspectives, both from academia and industry. To submit
your application to become an AC of IMX 2020, just fill in the application
form above.

CONTACT INFORMATION

You can get in touch with the diversity chairs
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>:

Call for Papers _ DIID 2020 | International Scientific Journal in Design

In behalf of the Steering Committee, it ia a pleasure to announce that
'DIID Disegno Industriale Industrial Design' just published the Calls for
Papers for its three 2020 issues:

70 Design 2030: Knowledge, deadline full paper 28th of February 2020
71 Design 2030: Education, deadline full paper 30th of June 2020
72 Design 2030: Practices, deadline full paper 30th of October 2020

With these three issues, DIID opens to reflection and testimonies on if and
on how Design can face and therefore can guide the changes of the
contemporary, and evolves towards new forms and models of knowledge, of
education, of practice. Setting the time horizon for 2030, the question is
how to explore the level of Design awareness at the basis of change and the
reference values.

Submissions should be only full papers in English, or Spanish, or Italian.

As a reminder, 'DIID Disegno Industriale Industrial Design' is a 15 years
peer-reviewed International Scientific Journal, promothed by the Italian
academic community of Design, that welcomes international researchers to
share experiences, studies, approaches and methods about Design principles
and practices.

For the Papers Submission and more info, please follow this link

https://www.listlab.eu/en/diid/call-for-a-submission/

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Constructivist Foundations 15(1) has been published

So far the AHCI journal Constructivist Foundations has published more than
1000 scholarly texts pertaining to constructivist approaches. The latest
issue has appeared today. The articles in this issue show that
constructionist learning is an appropriate method for learning
computational thinking, which is considered a crucial skill in our society
that is rapidly changing due to applications of computer technologies. See
table of contents below.

To access the full articles for free visit

https://constructivist.info/15/1

ADJACENT journal issue 6 from NYU

Are there dreams for the future that arent nightmares? Announcing ADJACENT
Issue 6: OLD/NEW/NEXT from NYUs Interactive Telecommunications Program.

https://itp.nyu.edu/adjacent/issue-6/

ADJACENT is an online journal of emerging media published by the
Interactive Telecommunications Program, or ITP. Its mission is to share
research, reflection, observations, and opinions from and for the diverse
creators that are exploring the possibilities and directions at the
frontiers of media and technology.

Old/New/Next sounds like it could be a slogan of mid-20th century America:
casting off the past, ascendantly modern, moving toward a bright future.
But in a contemporary moment in which so much of the future feels as though
it has already been predicted, data mined, and sold off, this slogan takes
on a more ironic tone, and taking the time to cast a critical eye back
toward the past seems like an act of resilience, or at least an act of
refuge-seeking. The Interactive Telecommunications Program is turning 40
this year, and for Adjacent Issue 6 we wanted to take this birthday as an
opportunity for us to look back on the past 40 years of media and
technology, reflect on what that history can inform us about the future of
the field, and interpret how the dreams of the past brought about the
present, for better and for worse.

https://designconference.aiga.org/

Intellect is pleased to announce that Craft Research 10.2 is now available

https://www.intellectbooks.com/craft-research

Aims & Scope

Craft Research is the first peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated to the
development and advance of contemporary craft practice and theory through
research. The aim of Craft Research is to elicit craft as a vital and
viable modern discipline that offers a vision for the future and for the
sustainable development of human social, economical and ecological issues.
This role of craft is rooted in its flexible nature as a conduit from
design at one end to art at the other. It gains its strength from its at
times experimental, at times developmental nature, which enables craft to
explore and challenge technology, to question and develop cultural and
social practices, and to interrogate philosophical and human values.

Issue 10.2

Editorial

Sustaining crafts heritage: Place, people and practice
Kristina Niedderer and Katherine Townsend

Articles

Meaningful practices: The contemporary relevance of traditional making for
sustainable material futures
Stuart Walker, Martyn Evans and Louise Mullagh

When heritage laws and environmental laws collide: Artisans, guilds and
government support for traditional crafts in Tokyo
Robert Pontsioen

Temper and temperament of prehistoric craft: Temper type evolution and clay
body workability
Michelle R. Bebber and Metin I. Eren

Position Paper

The contemporary western tattooist as a multifaceted practitioner
Adam McDade

The Portrait Section

Wrapped in a rainbow: Inspiration and innovation through traditional crafts
Kart Summatavet

Exhibition Review

The craft-art: Form SPARK: The Science and Art of Creativity to Art
Central, Central Harbourfront, Hong Kong, 26-30 March 2019
Nga-wun Li and Chupo Ho

Publication Reviews

Craft Economies, Susan Luckman and Nicola Thomas (eds) (2018)
Scott Taylor

Design Roots  Culturally Significant Designs, Products and Practices,
Stuart Walker, Martyn Evans, Tom Cassidy, Jeyon Jung
and Amy Twigger Holroyd (eds) (2018)
Martin Woolley

Conference Review

SFRA Conference, Copenhagen, 13 May 2019
Esben Rahbek Gjerdrum Pedersen

Drawing Research, Theory, Practice 4.2 is now available

Intellect is pleased to announce that Drawing Research, Theory, Practice
4.2 is now available

For more information about the issue and journal, click here >>
https://www.intellectbooks.com/drawing-research-theory-practice

Aims & Scope

Focusing on drawing as a significant discipline in its own right, Drawing:
Research, Theory, Practice is a peer-reviewed journal that facilitates
ongoing international debates within the wider fields of its practice and
research. A vibrant, proactive forum for contemporary ideas, the journal is
a platform for interdisciplinary and cross-cultural dissemination of all
forms of drawing practice and theory.

Issue 4.2

Editorial

Drawing Learning
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00001
Paul Fieldsend-Danks

Articles

Digital cosmopoiesis in architectural pedagogy: An analysis through
Frascari
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00002
Yvette Putra

Drawing as a democratic space within higher education, fine and applied
arts: Categorization, process, outcome
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00003
Andrew Hall

Analogue x digital: Parallel techniques for design learning
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00004
Linda Matthews and Samantha Donnelly

*Research Projects*

Drawing  learning: Letting art teach
<https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00005>
Oona Wagstaff

Drawing as research: Correlating skills and practices with surgical
training
<https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00006>
Jenny Wright

Tracing the Genealogical Self: Entanglements of drawing with Tim Ingolds
Lines
<https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00007>
Ilgm Veryeri Alaca and Betl Gaye Din

Position Papers

Drawing out: Encounter, resistance and collaboration
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00008
Majella Clancy and Stephen Felmingham

Learning drawing: Sustaining the primacy of visualcy within a neo-liberal
art school curriculum
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00009
Howard Riley

*Project Reports*

The rupture as a drawing-in of experience
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00010
Simon Kay-Jones

Drawing thinking: Illustration as pedagogy
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00011
Jason Hirons and Mel Brown

The grey space in the middle: Using drawing to meet the object half way
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00012
Martin Morris and Paddy Molloy

Review

Drawing Parallels: Knowledge Production in Axonometric, Isometric and
Oblique Drawings, Ray Lucas (2019)
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/drtp/2019/00000004/
00000002/art00013
Oren Lieber

EKSIG 2019 Conference Report published

EKSIG 2019 Conference which was held at the Estonian Academy of Arts in
September 2019 went smoothly, and I would like to share with you the
conference report that has just been published on the DRS website.

https://www.designresearchsociety.org/articles/conference-report-eksig-2019

Please feel free to share the report within your networks, and if you are
interested in reading the papers presented at the conference, the
conference proceedings are available for download at

http://www.eksig2019.com/proceedings/

Design Studies - Special Issue on Design as a Discipline
Volume 65 (November 2019)

When Design Studies began publishing in 1979 we ran a short series of
invited articles on the topic of 'Design as a Discipline', with the aim "to
establish the theoretical bases for treating design as a coherent
discipline of study in its own right". Forty years later, we have invited
some leading members of the design research community to contribute new
papers on the same theme, addressing questions, issues, achievements and
conclusions related to Design as a Discipline from a current perspective
and/or reviewing the development of the discipline as they see it. The
result is the Special Issue for Volume 65, November 2019:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/design-studies/vol/65/suppl/C

Contents

Nigel Cross: Editorial  Design as a discipline
Editorial for the Special Issue includes an overview of the contents. It is
available for free for 50 days (i.e. until 28 January 2020) via this link:
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aCQ6,3FfRgoTR

Rachel Cooper: Design research  its 50-year transformation

Bo Christensen and Linden Ball: Building a discipline: indicators of
expansion, integration and consolidation in design research across four
decades

Linden Ball and Bo Christensen: Advancing an understanding of design
cognition and design metacognition: progress and prospects

Kees Dorst: Co-evolution and emergence in design

Nathan Crilly: Methodological diversity and theoretical integration:
research in design fixation as an example of fixation in research design?

Ann Heylighen and Andy Dong: To empathise or not to empathise? Empathy and
its limits in design

Cynthia Atman: Design timelines: concrete and sticky representations of
design process expertise

Rachael Luck: Design research, architectural research, architectural design
research: an argument on disciplinarity and identity

Peter Lloyd: You make it and you try it out: seeds of design discipline
futures

Teaching Package for Enhancing Creativity Skills in Design

In the CIBIS project, Creativity in Blended Interaction Spaces
(www.cavi.au.dk/CIBIS) , at Aarhus University, we have for the last five
years investigated creativity in design in order to

1.  demonstrate the potential of integrating multiple digital devices and
analog materials in shared interactive environments to support individual
and group creativity;

2.  advance theoretical insights into constraints on creativity, design
ideas, generative design materials, and creativity methods in design
processes in analog, digital, and blended environments

One of the outcomes of the CIBIS project is a creativity teaching package,
which we have called Boost your [log in to unmask] The teaching package covers three
fundamental aspects of creativity in designIdeation, Sources of
Inspiration, and Constraints.

The teaching package has been developed based on our exercise-oriented
teaching philosophy in our Digital Design program and in close
collaboration with university students as well as high school educators and
students.

The teaching package contains a variety of exercises and activities that
can be used individually or be combined in modules to explore and enhance
creativity skills centered around the above three themes.

The teaching package is free to use for non-commercial purposes and is
available for download in Danish and English, either as individual pdf
files or as a complete teaching package in a single zip file. You can find
it here:

https://cavi.au.dk/projects/cibis/creativity/

Designing for Inclusive Learning Experience Conference / Updates

The Conference website "Designing for an inclusive learning experience" has
been updated, uploading all the contributions presented in the three
Sessions: "Oral Presentation", "Digital Presentation" and "Poster
Presentation".

To consult them, visit the website:

https://sites.google.com/view/pudcad-conference-unifi/home

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SEARCHING DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS

Searching back issues of DRN is best done through the customisable JISC
search engine at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-research

Look under 'Search Archives'

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CONTRIBUTIONS

Design Research News communicates news about design research globally.  It
is emailed to subscribers approximately monthly and is free of charge.  You
may subscribe or unsubscribe at the following site:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research.html

Information to the editor, David Durling Professor of Design Research,
Coventry University, UK <[log in to unmask]>

PLEASE NOTE: contributions should be sent as plain text in the body of an
email. Do not send attachments. Do not copy and paste from Word documents.