Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Practice SIG update and input needed

Charlotte Crofts <[log in to unmask]>

BAFTSS Practice Research SIG <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Nov 2019 18:56:08 +0000

text/plain

Dear All,

I'm emailing to update you on and get your input into the BAFTSS Practice SIG.

Contents
1. BAFTSS Practice SIG event - poll for new date
2. Annual Conference Panel - input
3. BAFTSS Practice SIG Meeting - input
4. BAFTSS Practice Research Portfolio Award - Submission Deadline today!!

Scroll down for details!

1. BAFTSS Practice SIG event - we got funding to do an event which was initially scheduled for 23 November, but I would like to reschedule for the summer term - initially this was so as not to conflict with a similar event that the MeCCSA Practice Network was convening on 27 November (since cancelled due to Strike Action).

I think a Friday would be good as it would enable people to weekend in Bristol if they wanted to (planning just a one-day event). I'm thinking:

Fri 12 June
Fri 19 June
Fri 26 June
Fri 3 July

Please fill in this doodle poll to indicate if you would be up for any of these dates: https://doodle.com/poll/tsisqtq4mqnht9yp

It will take place at UWE, Bristol - probably the Arnolfini in the centre of town.

I would like to firm up so I can give time for people to engage with a call for participation. There will be a deadline by which they will be invited to submit a short research statement to accompany the work. The work and the statement will be circulated in good time to engage with it prior to the event and then it will be discussed in a panel discussion with a view to harnessing and sharing best practice of how to situate practice as research, exploring the relationship between moving image and written statement and how to evidence originality, rigour and significance in practice research.

2. Annual Conference Panel - Does anyone want to host a Practice SIG Panel at the BAFTSS 8th Annual Conference Rethinking Screen Cultures, University of St Andrews 16-18 April 2020? If you've got ideas about a theme or you have something you'd like to see explored then email me on [log in to unmask]

>>The CFP is here: https://www.baftss.org/conf-2019

The theme this year is about rethinking Screen Cultures - which I think is a perfect opportunity for us to think about how practice research disrupts traditional approaches (e.g. textual analysis).

Panels can be organised as a workshop, a roundtable discussion, or 3 research papers followed by Q&A. We do ask that the session is structured and works within the 1 hour 30minute time slot. Each participant in SIG sessions must have BAFTSS membership and pay the conference registration fee. Deadline (Individual and Panel abstracts): Monday 16th December 2019.

>>Panel proposal form is here: https://bit.ly/33ZlsuU

Please also think about submitting individual practice presentations - might be worth outlining your ideal viewing situation, etc so that it can be screened during the conference as well.

>>Individual Proposal form is here: https://bit.ly/2Qwegma

3. PRACTICE SIG MEETING Heads up - there will also be a Practice SIG meeting at the conference - more info about this when the programme is announced. Again, do get in touch if you've got any thoughts about stuff to discuss.

4. Reminder - the deadline for submissions to the practice awards was today: Monday 18th November Please see further details and download the application form from our website http://baftss.org/ or email the BAFTSS Deputy Chair James Leggot on [log in to unmask]
n.b. They may be able to extend further if you email them today to express your interest.

All the best,
Charlotte

n.b. to participate in the conference and to enter the awards, you need to be a current  member of BAFTSS so do renew your membership. You should have had a renewal reminder or you can join here: https://www.baftss.org/join