PHD-DESIGN  February 2019

PHD-DESIGN February 2019

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: PHD-DESIGN Digest - 12 Feb 2019 to 13 Feb 2019 (#2019-38)

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Feb 2019 11:09:35 +0800

text/plain

Hi Ursula,
Thank you for your posts.
I've been searching without success for details and publications  on the mathematical and scientific research of the Ulm Design School. I welcome pointers to that research undertaken at Ulm to compare with other institutions of the era teaching and practicing design. I know well the work of Norbert Weiner and Horst Rittel, but my understanding is that  their scientific work was mostly done elsewhere?
Is there a list of research and research publications from staff while they were at Ulm?
I read the notes in https://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/servlets/DerivateServlet/Derivate-11608/HFGeng.pdf that indicate teaching at Ulm included 'mathematical analysis of operations: group theory, statistics, standardisation, scientific theories, mechanics: kinematic, dynamic and static"
These topics can be taught simplistically or at a high level: from 11 year old primary school simple to post-PhD complex. It would be good to know at what level they were taught in Ulm. Do you know if there are records of original teaching materials in these areas?
Best wishes,
Terry
==
Dr Terence Love,
School of Design and Built Environment, Curtin University, Western Australia
CEO, Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks, Western Australia 6030
 +61 (0)4 3497 5848
ORCID 0000-0002-2436-7566
==