Re: Crisis

Céline Lemay <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jan 2019 14:36:26 -0500

text/plain

dear friends of wisdom,

here are some thoughts I want to share without any pretention

In schools and universities knowledge is acquired through a mentality of banking
education so well described by Freire.    Wisdom is not a result. It is a
process. Who is trained and be encouraged to think and even better, to think
critically?  May be wisdom cannot be learned because it is an experience.

Scientific method is conceived in terms of procedures but not processes. The
scientific knowledge is acquired through the necessity to separate the object of
research from the researcher.  Doing that with our world, we finally consider
that the world is in front of us, which is fundamentally false. We are not
We « are » the problem!
In the name of reason the paradigm of separation and dual thinking is still
dominant. The crisis we are facing reveals the complexity of our world and
exploring complexity requires transdisciplinarity : going between disciplines
and beyond disciplines. How can  we favour that posture when disciplines are
jealously  protected and budgeted in Universities?   The crisis is the
consequence of our way of thinking and I am still holding the question of
Foucault : can we think differently?  (I have an hypothesis but it too far from
the actual problem).

sharing preoccupations and reflections,

Céline Lemay

having wisdom in my professional identity:  sage-femme