ARCHIVES-NRA  December 2018

ARCHIVES-NRA December 2018

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Documentation and Project Research Volunteer roles, Old Royal Naval College

Natalie Conboy <[log in to unmask]>

Natalie Conboy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Dec 2018 14:10:18 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,

The Old Royal Naval College is currently advertising for two new exciting volunteer roles within our Interpretation Team. These are for a Documentation Volunteer to help us improve our collections management and a Project Research Volunteer to assist in co-ordinating our 'Lives of the Pensioners' project. These roles are for 6 months, up to 2 days a week and are based in Greenwich, London. Full details of both opportunities are below. Please visit our web site at https://www.ornc.org/volunteer to complete an on line application form. Deadline for applications is Monday 21st January 2019 at 5pm. Informal interviews to be held on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th January 2019.

Volunteer Role Description

Documentation Volunteer

The Old Royal Naval College is undergoing a programme of transformation to open our site and collections to the public in more inclusive and dynamic ways. Our newly conserved Painted Hall will open in the Spring; coinciding with a new visual identity and positioning to enhance our profile and firmly place our site at the heart of Greenwich. We have four strategic objectives which underpin this new visitor experience:

•	Exploration: engage visitors via a site-wide historic, architectural and spiritual experience
•	Spectacle: inspire the public via a stimulating artistic programme
•	Stewardship: conserve the fabric of our buildings, grounds and archaeology
•	Independence: grow a cultural business which secures our sustainable future

We are committed to a new programme of documentation, preservation, accessibility and interpretation. We would like to build on our work to establish a Collections Management System, which recently received a commendation from the Collections Trust, so that we can be accountable and make use of our collections more creatively. Our collections include silverware, artwork, archaeology, furniture, photographs, correspondence and costume. They span the four phases of our site’s history: as the Greenwich Palace, Royal Hospital for Seamen, Royal Naval College and now as the Old Royal Navy College (run by the Greenwich Foundation).

The Volunteer role

The Documentation Volunteer will work with the Collections and Archive Assistant to support the day-to-day operations of our recently created archive department which is responsible for collections management. They will make use of the guidance set out in Spectrum 5.0: The UK Museum Collections Management Standard to:

•              Help to ensure that our Documentation Procedural Manual is up-to-date and being used with particular reference to
                location and movement control, loans in and out and cataloguing
•              Assist with an inventory of the collection including recording, labelling and moving of objects, including our Tudor
                archaeology collection
•              Collate existing documentation so that all relevant paperwork related to an object is kept in Object History Files
•              Generate statistical data for reporting to the Board
•              Assist with collections care tasks such as recording of environmental conditions, cleaning, condition reporting and
               repackaging when opportunities arise

Training and Support

•              Full induction will be given on our organisational structure and public offer; with specific training on our policies
                and procedures related to collections work
•              Formal recognition of skills development to aid CV or job applications
•              A friendly, enthusiastic and supportive team of volunteers with whom to share experiences and knowledge
•              Regular volunteer social and networking events
•              Travel costs of up to £15 per day will be reimbursed based on return tickets / Oyster card receipts for a shift of 3.5
                hours. £3.50 towards lunch for a five hour shift or more
•              Discounts in local shop and cafés

We are looking for people who can demonstrate

•              A good first degree and some experience of working in the field of collections documentation (Essential)
•              Physically able as the archive department is on a mezzanine floor with access via a narrow spiral staircase
               (Essential)
•              Good verbal communication skills (Essential)
•              Conscientious, reliable and punctual (Essential)
•              Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Excel and Word (Essential)
•              Attention to detail and good organisational ability (Essential)
•              Are able to commit to 2 days per week for a period of 6 months, ideally a Tuesday and Wednesday each week but
               other options may be considered (Essential)
•              Experience of handling museum objects (Desirable)
•              An interest in conservation, heritage and history (Desirable)
•              An excellent understanding of collections documentation and awareness of Spectrum 5.0 (Desirable)
•              A postgraduate qualification in (or currently studying) museum studies (Desirable)

Volunteer Role Description

Project Research Volunteer

The Old Royal Naval College is undergoing a programme of transformation to open our site and collections to the public in more inclusive and dynamic ways. Our newly conserved Painted Hall will open in the Spring; coinciding with a new visual identity and positioning to enhance our profile and firmly place our site at the heart of Greenwich. We have four strategic objectives which underpin this new visitor experience:

•              Exploration: engage visitors via a site-wide historic, architectural and spiritual experience
•	Spectacle: inspire the public via a stimulating artistic programme
•	Stewardship: conserve the fabric of our buildings, grounds and archaeology
•	Independence: grow a cultural business which secures our sustainable future

We are committed to a new programme of documentation, preservation, accessibility and interpretation. Our site has four main phases of history as the: Greenwich Palace, Royal Hospital for Seamen, Royal Naval College and now as the Old Royal Navy College (run by the Greenwich Foundation). The Royal Hospital for Seamen, 1694-1869, was established as a place of refuge for disabled and elderly seamen welcoming many distinguished naval veterans; as well as ordinary seamen through its doors. These magnificent buildings, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor, survive today as part of a UNESCO world heritage site.

Our new research project, “Lives of the Pensioners”, uses digital copies of original records held at The National Archives to help us better tell the story of those who lived and worked at the Hospital. We are transcribing three broad groups of records: the Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills (1384-1858); volumes on specific events e.g. Cholera outbreaks; and staff registers. This will help us to identify areas for further research in other archives; providing a rich source of material for future exhibitions, publications and events.

The Volunteer role

Working with the Collections and Archive Assistant the Project Research Volunteer will help with the administration of the project. This is an exciting opportunity to get practical experience of project management and develop archival research skills. The main tasks of this role are:

•	Ensure that the project log which records progress is up-to-date and accurate
•	Assist with the allocation of documents for volunteers to transcribe
•	Participate in research trips to The National Archives to identify and record relevant records
•	Help co-ordinate volunteer visits to other repositories both locally and regionally
•	Assist with the administration of training workshops and meetings
•	Help deliver content for use in promotional initiatives such as in local publications when the opportunity arises
•	Generate statistical data for reporting to the Board

Training and Support

•	Full induction will be given on our organisational structure and public offer; with specific training on our policies and
               procedures related to the archives department
•	Formal recognition of skills development to aid CV or job applications
•	A friendly, enthusiastic and supportive team of volunteers with whom to share experiences and knowledge
•	Regular volunteer social and networking events
•	Travel costs of up to £15 per day will be reimbursed based on return tickets / Oyster card receipts for a shift of 3.5
               hours. £3.50 towards lunch for a five hour shift or more.
•	Discounts in local shop and cafés

We are looking for people who can demonstrate

•	A good first degree and some experience of working in the field of research and/or project management (Essential)
•	Physically able as the archive department is on a mezzanine floor with access via a narrow spiral staircase
               (Essential)
•	Good verbal communication skills (Essential)
•	Conscientious, reliable and punctual (Essential)
•	Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Excel and Word (Essential)
•	Attention to detail and good organisational ability (Essential)
•	Are able to commit to 2 days per week for a period of 6 months, ideally a Tuesday and Wednesday each week but
               other options may be considered (Essential)
•	Experience of researching in archives (Desirable)
•	An interest in conservation, heritage and history (Desirable)
•	A postgraduate qualification in (or currently studying) museum studies or archives administration (Desirable)

Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All roles are subject to references and some roles require an enhanced DBS check.

Location: Greenwich Foundation 2 Cutty Sark Gardens, Greenwich, London, SE10 9LW

To apply: Please visit our web site at https://www.ornc.org/volunteer and complete an application form on line. Deadline for applications is Monday 21st January 2019 at 5pm. Informal interviews to be held on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th January 2019.

If you would like to talk about the roles please contact [log in to unmask] or phone 0208 269 4794.

Many thanks for your time.

Natalie Conboy
Collections and Archive Assistant