MCG  September 2018

MCG September 2018

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: MCG Digest - 17 Sep 2018 to 18 Sep 2018 (#2018-172)

Jonathan Whitson Cloud <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:59:45 +0000

text/plain

At the Horniman we implemented barcoding for collection location and movement control initially for a significant gallery decant and install. So impressed have we been by the accuracy and efficiency of it that we now plan to gradually roll it out across all our (Anthropology, Natural History and Musical Instrument) collections. There is a significant time cost to putting it in place, but the savings in time and improvements in accuracy made when moving and finding objects quickly pays that back we have found.

As to not opening the boxes, our long established 'cards stapled to the end of boxes' collections management system already did that pretty well, but the bar coding does it more accurately and with also with more information available as the barcode readers draw data from the collections management database.

Happy to say more, perhaps by 'phone?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan Whitson Cloud