Re: Air Quality and Planning

Andrew Edwards <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Sep 2018 08:18:00 +0000

text/plain

Hi Phil,

In Bristol we require fixed shut windows in these cases which I've always felt conflicted about as it is a less than ideal solution in which those impacted by poor air quality effectively pay with reduced amenity. A change of use such as this often falls under the Prior Approval process so unless there are significant changes to the building externally, in most cases no consideration can be given to air quality, even if it exceeds objectives in a location in which new residential exposure is going to be introduced. Is there a way for a local plan to allow air quality considerations in prior approval applications?

One thing that we do ask if fixed shut windows are to be conditioned is that an overheating assessment is completed to ensure that the ventilation systems and building design can deal with the lack of natural ventilation.

Assuming that we are all heading for compliance with air quality objectives in the shortest time possible, it could be argued that technically, fixed shut windows could only be needed for a short number of years for new development.

In answer to your question though, I think both approaches are being used around the country, both fixed shut and openable. I've even heard of conditions stating that an advice leaflet should be given to new occupants about the issue of air pollution and advice that windows should only be open at quieter times to protect health. How you enforce this type of condition is likely to be problematic though. We've continued to require fixed shut windows to be consistent with past advice but this may change in the near future.

Best Regards,

Andy Edwards

Project Manager - Air Environment

City Innovation and Sustainability Service

Growth and Regeneration - Planning Services

CREATE Centre| Smeaton Road | Bristol | BS1 6XN | 01179 224331 | 07775220631