OWNERS-ANNOUNCE  May 2018

OWNERS-ANNOUNCE May 2018

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

JiscMail service message: Update on GDPR, Updates to Institutional log on, Update on Auto-deletion settings

JiscMail Helpline <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 May 2018 16:36:23 +0100

text/plain

OWNERS-ANNOUNCE: You have received this message because your email address is registered as a list owner of a JiscMail mailing list.

We have 3 updates for you today:

A. GDPR and your frequently asked questions

B. Institutional log on

C. Auto-deletion of bad/bouncing emails - update on changes

A. GDPR and FAQs

Since making changes to our service policies and the roll-out of GDPR, we've received a number of enquiries about what information you (list owners) need to share with subscribers, if we can add an unsubscribe link to all emails (as standard) and do list owners need to request re-consent for mailing lists.

The FAQ document has been updated, https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OWNERS-ANNOUNCE&a=get&f=/GDPR/2018-05-31_JiscMail_GDPR_FAQ.pdf but I've added the info here too:

=== Do I need to re-request consent?===

If subscribers have opted into your mailing list, in response to a clear single question – then re-requesting consent is not required.
GDPR guidance on consent seems to focus on marketing mailing lists, JiscMail provide discussion and announcement mailing lists - not marketing mailing lists.

However, to enable subscribers to remove themselves from your list(s) we have added an unsubscribe link to the bottom of emails sent to/from mailing lists (where this is not already configured).

== How do I add an unsubscribe link to the bottom (footer) of every email? ===

JiscMail have applied a global setting to include an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email posted to/from your mailing list(s). However, if your list is already configured with a footer message (which may/may not be an unsubscribe link) then our change will *not* override this, and we can help you update this (if required).

=== What do list owners need to send to subscribers about GDPR and JiscMail? ===

If you haven't already done so, we would expect you to send the following 3 pieces of information to your subscribers (by posting a message to your list(s))
1.	Updated JiscMail service policies (these apply to everyone using the service): https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/
3.	An explanation about how to unsubscribe from your mailing list, or a link to enable subscribers to unsubscribe

B. Institutional log on

Before Christmas 2017 we explained that we were updating our Institutional Login, https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=OWNERS-ANNOUNCE;a172ea8a.1711, using Institutional Login allows you to sign into JiscMail using your institutional credentials. List owners and subscribers can use the Institutional Login method to access JiscMail list management tools (list owners) and subscriber management tools (subscribers).

Our colleagues in the UK federated access management support team are helping us with some essential upgrades to our single sign on process. Thank you to all of the list owners who helped us to assess and test how the changes would affect JiscMail users.

We're now ready to release some of these updates and will carry out the first change on **Wednesday 6th June 2018**, outside normal business hours (after 18:00 UK time)

=== What the change is ===

We are changing the way that the JiscMail service communicates with the UK federation Central Discovery Service. The Discovery Service is used when you log in with your Institutional login, and it allows you to choose your Institutional Identity Provider. Currently JiscMail uses the WAYF protocol and we will reconfigure it to use the DS protocol, which is a more modern protocol, reduces the opportunities for phishing, and is more resilient to network failures.

=== What to expect ===

You should not notice any change to the process of logging in to your account. The login button will stay the same, choosing your IdP from the Discovery Service will not be affected, and you will be redirected to your familiar Institutional login page. If you are very attentive you'll notice that the path component in some of the URLs changes.

However, there is a small chance that using the DS protocol will lead to your Identity Provider sending incorrectly-encoded attributes. We have tested the most common software products and configurations in use in the UK federation and are confident that your software will work with the DS protocol. However, due to the flexibility of Identity Provider middleware, we cannot be 100% sure until we try.

=== What to do if it doesn't work ===

If, after authenticating at your Institutional Identity Provider, you are redirected to the "Institutional Log on Association" page instead of the page that shows your mailing lists, do not panic. Your account is still available, it's just that the attributes your Identity Provider has sent are encoded incorrectly.

The UK federation team has developed an alternative login page at https://www.ukfederation.org.uk/content/Documents/JiscMailWAYFlessSAML1 which will use the legacy protocol with your Institutional Identity Provider. Please ensure that you regain access to your account using this page.

Please also let the JiscMail team ([log in to unmask]) know that you have had to use the alternative login page and which Identity Provider you use. They will forward this information to the UK federation team, who will liaise with your Institutional IT department to fix the issue.

Please note that alternative login page is a temporary alternative whilst the UK federation team help your organization reconfigure their IdPs to encode the attributes correctly.

=== When the changes will take place ===

The changes will be applied to the JiscMail service on Wednesday 6th June from 18:00, during this time mailing list services will unavailable through the website, we will post reminders to our social media accounts and the service status on the JiscMail website will be set to RED whilst the changes are being made. We don't expect services to be offline for more than 2 hours.

=== Where to find help or support ===

After the changes, if you experience any difficulties with signing into JiscMail using your Institutional Login, please let us know [log in to unmask] and we'll liaise with our colleagues in the UK federation team to fix any issues.

Details of the work here: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=OWNERS-ANNOUNCE;6bc88c92.1805
The changes mean less work for you - the system will automatically remove email addresses from a mailing list if a message is undelivered to a subscriber for 4 days or the system receives 100 bounces.  You'll receive a message from the system confirming which email addresses have been automatically deleted as a result of delivery errors, and as ist owners can use List Management > List Activity > List Activity Reports to review recent bounces and auto-deletions on lists.

As always, if you want to make any changes to your mailing lists, or have any questions about this update, then please email us at [log in to unmask]

Thanks, Lisa

Collaboration services manager
www.jiscmail.ac.uk
www.onlinesurveys.ac.uk