Re: New Media Public Art Conversation

Simon Biggs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:44:15 +1030

text/plain

The connection between tacit knowledge (eg: Khmer classical dance) and formal encoding, in relation to preservation strategies, is an interesting one. A couple of decades ago we had a PhD candidate (Nicola Wood) working on the digital preservation and communication of a tacit knowledge-set (traditional hand wood-working skills in rural Derbyshire). I don’t know what’s happened to the dataset and associated documentation from the project but I imagine that the substrate it was recorded on had the sustainability of a Maine winter snowflake in the Australian summer sun, compared with the tacit knowledge socio-technical assemblage that was the source of the material.

Tacit knowledge has proved to be a highly durable knowledge system. The indigenous Australian dream-time has survived the best part of 50,000 years, including through a pretty effective genocide. None of it was written down. Yes, there are graphical records associated with the knowledge involved, but to a great extent the information has been passed down orally from generation to generation - over 2,000 generations. One assumes the knowledge has gained patina as a result of this process but it hasn’t broken or become illegible. It remains living knowledge.

This raises questions about how we value knowledge in Western culture and the instrumentality of how we preserve it. The two are intrinsically linked, as we see in the continuing socio-cultural power of the written word and in our knowledge institutions (museums and libraries). But it would seem this might be a misconstrued value system.

I had been wondering whether the key to digital preservation, specifically in relation to executable code, might lie in something like Z-Code - high level code descriptors for executables - and Z-machines (high level virtual machine descriptors that Z-Code can run on). However, subsequent to considering the efficacy of tacit knowledge, I wonder whether the most likely means by which such knowledge will be sustained is through the ongoing activities of a community of practitioners (which in this case tends to be well networked), sharing their knowledge as they do (including here on CRUMB)?

Of course, this doesn’t account for scenarios where a community no longer exists - and I doubt new media artists are as likely to survive into the future as Australia’s indigenous peoples have. But such a techno-social assemblage does seem to offer a more efficacious model for knowledge preservation than any of the strictly technical means we have discussed.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs
http://www.littlepig.org.uk