Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Initial thoughts on cloud strategy

Jens Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

UK Cloud Computing Special Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jan 2018 23:41:06 +0000

text/plain

James and John, this is a very relevant and interesting - and non-trivial - part of the problem (in the sense that any proper numerical analysis is non-trivial - I can't quite resist referring to the classic Goldberg paper [1]).

On the science side, it'd have to be thought out carefully, like sometimes when you're fishing for eigenvalues, you may just need low accuracy on the highest magnitude ones and then selectively pick the ones for which you need more accuracy. I guess you could do the tyre-kicking approach, try reducing precision and see if your calculation goes awry, like in Sue's presentation.

The strategic question would be what a CSP should offer in this respect: would it make sense to offer faster/greener calculations in 32 bit floats, 16 bit, 8 bit? (8 bit "floats" for neural networks) - some programming languages offer up to four different kinds of reals natively but mostly (historically) to reduce the storage requirements.

Cheers
--jens

[1] http://www.itu.dk/~sestoft/bachelor/IEEE754_article.pdf