Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Rebecca Watts

Jeffrey Side <[log in to unmask]>

British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:52:28 +0000

text/plain

Drew’s summary of the various conflicts between the mainstream and the avantgarde is a useful reminder of the various reasons as to why we are where we are today regarding the conflict between the avantgarde and the mainstream. I cover some of it in my PhD thesis, although from the perspective of the development of empiricism as it runs through poetry in the twentieth century. At the time of writing the thesis (the mid-2000s) there was no sign of any withdrawal or regrouping by the mainstream as can be discerned from what Drew says in the following:

‘It seems to me that we are at the latter end of the collapse of what once presented itself as a confident "mainstream" poetic, a poetic that sought to continue an ideological and unnecessarily exclusionary line of British poetry coming out of what was construed as an anti-modernist lineage from Hardy to Larkin.’

At the time, the only semblance of a hint of this was something I read in an article by Sean O’Brien called ‘Rilke and the Contemporary Reader’, which I blogged about in 2006:

http://jeffrey-side.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/sean-obrien-and-seamus-heaney.html

Although this blog post limits itself to O’Brien and Heaney, there was a sense that the “dominance of the mainstream” did not have long to go.

With the advent of the Internet, a situation has come about, whereby young people enthusiastic about poetry have been able to see a range of poetic styles, and apologias for each of these styles, and so are far more informed about the various “schools” of poetry than I was at their age. Because of this, many have been drawn to a poetry that could still be considered “mainstream”, but mainstream without the excessive descriptiveness (a hallmark of mainstream poetry in the past) that was championed in The Penguin Book of Contemporary British Poetry.

Perhaps examples of this are McNish and Tempest, where I notice a welcome move away from excessive descriptiveness, and more towards a more generalised use of language. It is still poor poetry, and fails to be effective in a range of ways (not much imagery in McNish for instance) but the general direction this sort of poetry is going in is welcome. To some extent it validates what I wrote years ago in my thesis and elsewhere online: that poetry can sell well and gain a popular audience if excessive descriptiveness is jettisoned.

As far as the conflict between avantgarde and mainstream poetry is concerned, I like both sorts of poetry to the extent that they avoid excessive descriptiveness, and are open to generalisation and ambiguity. Other than that I am not partisan.