RADIX  March 2017

RADIX March 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: RADIX Digest - 12 Mar 2017 to 13 Mar 2017 (#2017-18)

Lee Bosher <[log in to unmask]>

Lee Bosher <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:43:58 +0000

text/plain

Dear Radixers,

Initially, I should state that I believe that Ilan Kelman and James Lewis’ phrase ‘Disaster Risk Creation’ needs to be use more widely as it gets to the crux of nearly all the problems the DRM community should be dealing with. On the DRM/DRR conundrum raised by Lisa, I agree with Erik’s view on this, in that DRR is a core component of DRM.

Rather than getting bogged down in how things are defined in the ‘disasterology’ field, I have found that it can help to draw from other disciplines and frameworks, particularly when teaching students from engineering and construction disciplines. For instance there is a rather useful International standard on ‘Risk Management’, namely ISO31000.  ISO31000, states that  risk management should be a cyclical process (of which risk reduction is an important component), performed more or less, in the following order.

1. Risk identification – i.e. hazard/threat assessment.

2. Risk analysis – i.e. likelihood versus consequences.

3. Risk evaluation – i.e. considering which risks need treatment and the priority for treatment implementation.

4. Risk treatment – i.e. this involves selecting one or more options (including risk reduction or risk transfer etc.) for modifying risks, and implementing those options [before then re-reviewing the risk in step 1]

Thus, according to ISO31000 risk reduction is a component of risk management and therefore I feel there is a compelling case for DRR being viewed as a component of DRM (rather than the other way around).

I hope this helps to bring a slightly different perspective to the discussion?

Best wishes,

Lee

Ref: British Standards Institution, (2009), 'ISO 31000:2009 Risk management: Principles and guidelines', London: British Standards Institution Group,

Dr Lee Bosher – Senior Lecturer

School of Civil and Building Engineering,

Loughborough University,

Loughborough,

United Kingdom LE11 3TU

T: +44 (0)1509 222887