PER February 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Demographic gaps

"Prof. Gareth Jones" <[log in to unmask]>

Physics Education Research <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:56:50 -0000

text/plain

Mainly to Peter, Caroline and Sally:

I have found this exchange of views, data and speculation fascinating.  It
prompts links with other aspects of physics education.   Caroline, I will
try to discuss with you what you have found and your plans for more
investigation.   One advantage I have is being able to "take the long
view" on some of these issues from a great deal of experience as a tutor.

I offer the following thoughts which tend to broaden the issue but which
may well be relevant:

We all know that the nature of physics exam questions both at university
and at school level has changed over the years in the direction of
providing more "scaffolding" - we tend now to say in exam questions "take
my hand and I will guide you but of course you will have to climb the
styles yourself".    I think this started at A level a long time ago and
propagated to universities.  It provides a legitimate link between
learning and assessment but tends to discount the essential competence of
being able to identify for yourself the key physical principles involved
in a situation.   At IC "synoptic" papers from previous years (we have had
them for generations) are used heavily in 3rd Year tutorials so students
get lots of examples of how to "think like a physicist" but they still
find the exams very challenging.  As a tutor, I sometimes used questions
from many years ago (which provided less scaffolding) to try to get
students to tackle problems without being led.  I think this helped them
to think more deeply.  I didn't detect any gender effects in this although
I made no systematic investigation of it.

One type of scaffolding which tends to worry students and to cause them
difficulties is when the question brings in context which is unfamiliar
(e.g. apparently bringing in properties of a certain nucleus or a type of
star or swing of a cricket ball!) where some students feel "I have not
learned about that so I cannot answer the question".   Gender or national
differences can easily creep in here.

One other aspect which might be involved here is the psychology of
learning.   I am not qualified to expound on this although what I have
read makes me think it is relevant and that we might find gender and
social background effects are involved in ways of thinking.  The ability
to idealize a situation (important in physics) is an example.

There is also the link between exam performance and  gender effects in the
choice of physics as a university subject (which differs
geographically/nationally, not just thinking of the UK).  Not all capable
students are attracted to physics.  Those who are, think in a particular
way about nature and the world around them and in their approach to
problem solving.  Although once a student has made that choice I would not
expect gender to be relevant to exam performance; but it seems it is.

Sorry if this opens things up too much!  I don't have preconceived ideas
about gender effects but certainly support efforts to investigate it.

Best Wishes,

Gareth

Physics Dept, Imperial College London