COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  December 2016

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK December 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Housing, Structural Power and Mental Health

Annie Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:30:14 +0000

text/plain

Dear David,

To keep going in work which goes against the grain of the status quo, building comradeship  with those who are on the edges of society, criticising policy and prevailing economics requires a huge amount of courage and energy and trust.

I would be amazed if Sally and her colleagues were not already engaged in critical thinking around the issues you raise:- "in relation to: the inscription of problematic psy-complex states; critical consideration of ‘links’ [ between] policy and problem; the warranting of claims through ‘PAR’; and forms of constituted authority and how they function."  From all I can glean of the work and the intentions ( without having actually read the report) that,s exactly what it seems to be all about.  It might not be perfect - what is?  but it concerns me that in terms of progressive action, the best of critique might be the enemy of the good. It feels wrong to imply that these things have not been thought  about without  asking first.  Critical curiosity perhaps ?

Not that Sally needs my words.. I feel sure she and her colleagues are robust in the face of critique and that they rise with it.   But it reminds me of the pain and discouragement I have felt when I have felt attacked  ... recognising that this even when not meant personally can feel so subjectively. I know I  / we need  to be robust in engaging with critique but that,s hard, especially when there are so many in the virtual room witnessing the debate and perhaps feeling scared or reluctant to join in.  I hesitated before sending this as I would much prefer others to feel emboldened to post. And everyone is so busy too. I am fortunate to be a part time worker so I have the luxury of time to think and reflect when not racing around with a thousand bureaucratic tasks.

You may not like so much to draw on the notion of love in this context, David , and that,s your prerogative of course.   But many of my own comrades and colleagues and friends and patients and clients do.  And the excellent posting that followed up in that, with the PhD link ( thank you  ) i found really helpful. .   I remember it being said, in what I experienced as a disparaging tone at a community psychology event many years ago that " there is nothing Annie likes more than a group hug".  I cringed at that but it has stayed with me as a warning against my being too touchy freely in the wrong places.  But it has also held me back around expressing some of my deepest beliefs. We do need a new framework and narrative , as George Monbiot keeps pointing out, if we are to make progress in addressing  our greatest problems. - . climate  change and inequalities - and if we are to find any sort of way forward from the dismal economic and political states that we find ourselves in. No- one yet picked up on my reference to the States of Denial book that I mentioned in another posting. It,s a challenging and uncomfortable read. I wonder what distress and suffering  we are perhaps denying here  ( and in our lives more broadly) and what are the processes that underpin what we do and don't speak of. Our vulnerability? Stanley Cohen says this: "there is only one way to include the distant stranger: to define the threshold of the intolerable as exactly the same for everybody. The starting point is not pseudo- universalism or touchy- feebly empathy, but a recognition of the radical and irreducible differences that do matter..... It is precisely because these differences are so profound that the most ignored of revolutionary principles has to be evoked: not liberty, not equality, but fraternity". But even here the language distances.  As a woman it,s not fraternity but  kinship that I want in our inter-connected humanity.  I believe the derivation of the word kinship is as from kindness.  Yes, we need critical kindness, critical friends and kindly critique.

As I do know you David and have enjoyed working  with you in what feels like the distant past ,  I have a strong sense of your integrity and kindness , and your inspiration around addressing issues of power, and  so I feel enough trust to be able to speak my mind and heart to you here.   That,s so important when  the world, as Ste indicated , is  very dangerous indeed in many places. It's a privilege to have this safe space to share and connect, agree and disagree.

Warm wishes

Annie