CULTURALPARTICIPATION  October 2016

CULTURALPARTICIPATION October 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Call for Submissions for Journal of Arts and Communities: People, Place, Power: increasing arts engagement

Participation and Engagement in the Arts Knowledge Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

Participation and Engagement in the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:33:11 +0100

Call for Submissions for Journal of Arts and Communities:  People, Place, Power: increasing arts engagement
ISSN: 17571936, published by Intellect
Principal Editor:
Stephanie Knight, lecturer & artist/researcher
[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]

Associate Editors:
Michael Balfour        [log in to unmask]
Chrissie Tiller             [log in to unmask]
Greg Giesekam         [log in to unmask]

In partnership with Creative People and Places and University OF Leeds, the Journal of Arts & Communities is pleased to announce a Call for Submissions for a Special Edition dedicated to People, Place, Power: increasing arts engagement.

Between 2013-16 Arts Council England (ACE), through the Creative People and Places programme (CPP), will have invested £37 million in 21 locations where evidence suggests that people's involvement in the arts is significantly below the national average. The aim of the investment is to increase the likelihood of participation and through action research to experiment with radically different approaches to programming work and engaging people in those communities.

This Call for Submissions offers an opportunity to publish learning from the different approaches that has been undertaken by Creative People and Places areas, and from researchers and practitioners working outside of CPP on related themes including but not limited to the following:
- How do we build sustainable audiences from one off inspirational events?

-  How do we develop long term change in the context of short term funding?
- What are the tensions of working in depth with small numbers and at breadth to increase participation across a district?
-  What are the implications for the arts of responding to local definitions of culture?
-  What happens when communities play a strong role in commissioning work?
-  Can we have excellence of art without excellence of engagement?
-  What are the challenges of cross sector   partnerships?
-  Whose capacity are we building – artists and/or communities?

There is a Guest Editorial Team for this Special Edition who will work in partnership with the Journal of Arts & Communities editorial team.

The Journal of Arts & Communities is dedicated to researchers and practitioners from around the world who wish to increase the understanding and development of the socially engaged arts.

The Journal of Arts & Communities encourages a wide range of contributions and contributors, including, but not limited to, the following: essays pursuing original lines of inquiry, raising challenging issues about the field, or documenting innovative work; interviews with practitioners or debates between practitioners and/or theorists; case studies of individual practices or projects, particularly those which have a broader

significance in relation to ongoing concerns in the field and those which provide opportunities for project participants to reflect upon their participation; photo-essays or other forms of project documentation; accounts of innovative training practices or approaches to evaluation and critical reflection; reports on conferences or proposals to publish more extended proceedings. Beyond our normal book review section, we also welcome proposals to discuss particularly significant publications which might merit fuller discussion.

Details for Contributors
Although we are open to discussion on the length of specific contributions, prospective contributors might observe the following guidelines as to length:
-          Discursive articles tackling broader issues of theory or practice or introducing particularly significant practice: up to 6,000 words, although we may agree to extend this in exceptional circumstances to  10,000 words;
-          Interviews, debates and case studies: up to 4,000 words;
-          Photo-essays, or other forms of visual project documentation – up to eight pages of visual documentation;
-          Reports of conferences: up to 1,500 words; we may also agree some visual documentation, where appropriate. Proposals for more extensive conference proceedings should be discussed prior to submission;
-          Book discussions, Notes and Queries: up to 750 words.

Contributors should follow the Harvard referencing system for citations and include a list of works cited at the end of the article. Explanatory footnotes should be kept to a minimum.

Illustrations
Illustrations and images are welcome. Photographs can only be accepted as production-ready, high resolution electronic images in JPEG, TIFF or PDF format.
Minimum resolution for images is 300 dpi. All illustrations and images should be accompanied by a      caption and numbered. Images should be sent in the order in which they are expected to appear in the  article. It is the contributors’ responsibility to obtain copyright permission, where necessary, to reproduce images.

Submission
Submissions should be sent via email in Word format to the Principal Editor [log in to unmask] You are welcome to discuss proposed articles in advance of submission; in particular, we encourage practitioners who may wish to explore ways of documenting their practice to get in touch to discuss possible approaches.

The deadline for submissions is Tuesday 2nd January  2017

All submissions will be sent to the panel of guest peer reviewers for assessment of their suitability for publication in these special editions.

Opinion
The views expressed in the Journal of Arts and Communities are those of the authors and do not necessarily
reflect those of the Editors or the Editorial Board.

For further details on submission guidelines please consult the Intellect website: www.intellectbooks.co.uk
Journal of Arts & Communities
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=159/

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to:-
http://disclaimer.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/disclaimer/disclaimer.html