Re: The unit of integration

Bin Jiang <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:56:02 +0800

text/plain

To quickly reflect on Alan Penn's comments with respect to the issue of
comparison :

(1) all graph measures are relative to their graphs or contexts; even
for degree of connectivity has to be put into its context. For example,
in city A, the least connectivity is one, and the most connectivity is
50, while in city B, the least connectivity is one, and the most
connectivity is 30. Two streets (one in city A and the other in city B)
with the same degree of connectivity of 10 would have different effect
in terms of their roles in their individual cities. In this regard, I
would suggest derive hierarchy based on head/tail breaks using
connectivity, and look at two streets of the same degree of 10 in which
hierarchical levels. Let's assume in city A that street of degree 10 is
at some middle level, while in city B that street of degree 10 is at the
top level. Certainly that street in city B is far more important than
that in city A, although both have the same degree 10.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236627484_Ht-Index_for_Quantifying_the_Fractal_or_Scaling_Structure_of_Geographic_Features

(2) following the first point, I think what is super important is ways
of thinking. Treating graph measures absolutely is the Euclidean
geometric thinking, focusing on individuals, while taking the measures
as a relatively indicator is the fractal geometric thinking or a
holistic thinking. I have some discussions in this paper with respect to
the two ways of thinking:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282310447_A_Fractal_Perspective_on_Scale_in_Geography

Cheers.

Bin

On 8/31/2016 6:22 PM, Penn, Alan wrote:
> 1 - you are right. In fact Bin Jiang is also being somewhat over pessimistic on the issue of comparison, to reduce it only to a matter of the order. The point about space syntax methods are a). the representation is relatively well defined in terms of rigour - the axial map as a map is something that can be used to compare on the same basis different cities. It is sensitive for instant to the relative length and width of streets and allows comparison of the degree to which streets systems are laid out regularly or otherwise. b). the analysis of depth measures (RRA) has been statistically shown to remove the effect of number of lines in the system, and so there is a case that these measures can indeed be used to compare one city to another. This is clearly also the case and somewhat less controversial perhaps, as you point out, for limited radius measures. I would be confident then that the numbers themselves can (within reason) be used to directly compare.
>
> However there is a major caveat: all cities are different, not only in morphology, but also in a whole range of other criteria that have a functional influence on them; patterns of land use, density, legal and cultural contexts etc. all play a role. So although a morphological variable (e.g.. radius three integration) may be the same for two streets in different cities, this does not mean that the two streets will play the same role in each or that they will function similarly. The exact fact that they are part of a relational system means that they function not only in terms of a specific parameter, but as a part of a complex in which they relate to their neighbours and the neighbours neighbours etc. ad infinitum.
>
> The question comes down pragmatically for an academic as to why one wishes to compare two different streets in two different cities. So long as you can define appropriately what your intentions are, then it may be possible to define ways of handling the variations between different cities so that you can say whether a specific parameter is significantly different between two streets, or whether the differences are too small to be significant. It really just requires careful thinking.

> [...]

Bin Jiang
Division of GIScience
Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development
University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, Sweden
Phone: +46-26-64 8901 Fax: +46-26-64 8758
Email: [log in to unmask] Web: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/
Academic Editor: PLOS ONE
Associate Editor: Cartographica

BinsArXiv: http://arxiv.org/a/jiang_b_1