Re: hello (podcast-studies) world

Siobhan McHugh <[log in to unmask]>

Podcast Studies <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 May 2016 11:51:59 +0000

text/plain

Hello all and thanks also to Richard – great idea to bring podcast scholars together!

I am based in Sydney/Wollongong, Australia, researching two main areas:

•	how podcasting is affecting the crafted audio storytelling genre, an area of critical studies I am actively involved in through the journal RadioDoc Review ( http://ro.uow.edu.au/rdr/) I founded in 2013, which brings audio practitioners and scholars together to develop in-depth critiques of the audio feature/narrative podcast form: see my article in current Radio Journal,
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Article,id=21770/

•	cultural podcast formats and impacts– e.g. how audio storytelling works differently in Africa, say, from China or Russia, due to social, political, historical and cultural traditions. I have connections to a multilingual public broadcaster in Australia, SBS, (broadcasts in 74 languages – the most multilingual broadcaster in the world) to pursue this field of inquiry.

•	I am also interested in how research on podcasting informs our understanding of the audio medium and its capacity to forge connection and build community.

I will be in Europe 14 June-13 July – starting in Vienna, where I am leading a panel on podcasting at the Global Editors Network (GEN) media summit with Sarah van Mosel of ACAST and Vanessa Quirk of Tow Center for Digital Broadcasting. 15-17 June. (https://events.bizzabo.com/201051/agenda/session/116768)

I end at Utrecht at the Transnational Radio Conference 5-8 July.

In between I am in Ireland (family roots) and the Dordogne (just in case any kindred spirits are near!)

I’d love to hear from other researchers in these areas - informally is fine.
RDR is also open to publishing essays and reflective articles on these topics.

I’m also an active audio documentary-maker, currently working on a feature about the forces behind the production of Aboriginal Australian art – whicb I’d love to see as a podcast going to remote Aboriginal communities as well as to the usual broadcast outlets.

Warm regards,
Siobhan

Dr Siobhán McHugh
Senior Lecturer, Journalism,
School of Arts, English and the Media,
Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts,
University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
T +61 2 4221 4234 | M 0404817165 |Room G03, B25.
E [log in to unmask] | Twitter @mchughsiobhan | W: http://siobhanmchugh.org

Founding Editor, RadioRocReview | http://ro.uow.edu.au/rdr/ | Twitter @RDREditor
Journal of critical analysis of radio documentaries and podcasts